Status
Not open for further replies.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Leafs win :yo:

HItdQPW.gif

Wasn't able to watch the whole game but this is exactly what I did when I saw the boxscore. :yo:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Little bit of a difficult first period. The Oilers came out strong, maybe even surprised the Leafs with their speed. We got beaten to a lot of pucks. Fortunately for us, we were able to get an early goal off the counter attack (where else?), and were able to weather the storm.

The Second Period, everybody really pulled their weight. Defense played as well as a period as any this year. The chances the Oilers did get were often blocked before they even got to Reimer and when they did get through, they weren't particularly threatening.

Third Period, more of an indication of us playing for tomorrow night, as opposed to tonight. Carlyle played the 3rd and 4th lines and 2nd and 3rd defense pairings a lot more than he would if we weren't up 4-0 and playing in Calgary tomorrow.

What can you say about Kessel... that second goal was just a work of art.

Shame Rielly got the goal taken away from him. If it did hit Kadri, it was so slight that I wonder if he even felt it. It certainly didn't look to have changed direction.

Little bit worried about Calgary tomorrow. Teams like Edmonton kind of force you to 'buck' your own system and a 4-0 lead often leads to bad habits. Hopefully there's not too much carryover, because we're definitely the much better team. Then again, Calgary does start with a 'C.'

horner

May 22, 2007
Time to get rid of Ranger, can't even make pass at the end of game almost coughed up the puck could have ruined Reimers night!?!

WOW

How many of our d and forwards cant get the puck out of our end.

Dion ****s up
Fransson ****s up more than Ranger
Morgan he makes a couple of **** ups a night
Gunner

The list of forwards is to long

Our breakout sucks right now

Ranger is doing fine for being of for 3 yrs of playing in the NHL

9 WINS
4 LOSES
18 PTS
WE ARE ONE OF THE TOP TEAMS

WOW GIVE ME A BREAK

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You guys beat us badly, but c'mon. We outshot you guys badly and if not for superb goaltending by Reimer this is a completely different game.

You guys are good, but relax..your goaltending has kept you in most games this season.

Tdot Soldier

Apr 23, 2013
walking dist. to acc
You guys beat us badly, but c'mon. We outshot you guys badly and if not for superb goaltending by Reimer this is a completely different game.

You guys are good, but relax..your goaltending has kept you in most games this season.

The only reason you outshot us is because we stopped trying in the 3rd period to rest for tmrws game against calgary and you guys were desperate and basically (to use a call of duty term) "pray and spraying" in the 3rd while we were just sitting back on the lead. Reims was great but that's not the only reason we won.

and it's not like our offence has let us down this season we've scored 44 goals. I know you guys have given up 54 but if we played you every game we'd probably have about 100 by now.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

The difference in the game was that the Leafs capitalized on their opportunities early and the Oilers didn't. If the Oil had scored an early goal,then it would have been a completely different game.

Trust us, we know the difference of what a goalie can do to change the outcome of a game. The Leafs have had to deal with Vesa Toskala, Raycroft, Gustavson, etc. over the past decade. Mariano Rivera had more saves over the same amount of time.

Edmonton almost seemed deflated after they watched the 2nd goal go in after outplaying the Leafs in the early part of the game.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

LOL

exactly... we have good goaltending, something management in Edmonton doesn't believe in :laugh:

i'm not sure the point of this post? Reimer is apart of our team... Reimer beat you, the leafs beat you.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The difference in the game was that the Leafs capitalized on their opportunities early and the Oilers didn't. If the Oil had scored an early goal,then it would have been a completely different game.

Trust us, we know the difference of what a goalie can do to change the outcome of a game. The Leafs have had to deal with Vesa Toskala, Raycroft, Gustavson, etc. over the past decade. Mariano Rivera had more saves over the same amount of time.

Edmonton almost seemed deflated after they watched the 2nd goal go in after outplaying the Leafs in the early part of the game.

LOL

exactly... we have good goaltending, something management in Edmonton doesn't believe in :laugh:

i'm not sure the point of this post? Reimer is apart of our team... Reimer beat you, the leafs beat you.

Yeah I would agree with that. Our record doesn't reflect the way we've played this season. We have outshot and outchanced our opponents almost every game so far, but goaltending is really deflating the confidence of our guys. When they are dominating a game and their goalie lets in a brutal goal they decide to just pack it in.

@Bozak, all I'm saying is that I hope Reimer and Bernier somehow keep up their ridiculous SV% or you guys are going to fall back down to earth. You probably have a playoff spot locked up due to the hot start but don't kid yourselves.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I would agree with that. Our record doesn't reflect the way we've played this season. We have outshot and outchanced our opponents almost every game so far, but goaltending is really deflating the confidence of our guys. When they are dominating a game and their goalie lets in a brutal goal they decide to just pack it in.

@Bozak, all I'm saying is that I hope Reimer and Bernier somehow keep up their ridiculous SV% or you guys are going to fall back down to earth. You probably have a playoff spot locked up due to the hot start but don't kid yourselves.
Look at this.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

ya and for all your no 1 picks in edmomton ill take the dynamic play of reilly over all of them
nuff said

duul

Jun 21, 2010

I am just going to stop listening to Oiler fans, their team is brutal.

What am I supposed to be looking at there? Looks like Edmonton still had more solid chances in the slot not to mention a whole bunch more from the tops of the circles etc.

@cellardweller How quick we are to forget our not so distant pasts. Like I said before the stats tell us you guys are riding some extremely hot goalies and would be in a far different situation had they been playing average or even above average. Not bashing you guys as a fanbase, just saying you're not as good as your record indicates. I'm not sure how you could disagree with that.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Dallas Eakins' post game:

(paraphrasing) They didn't out hit, out chance, out work or out shot us. They just out finished us.

Answering a question about leaving the Gagner line out against the Kessel line:

(paraphrasing) Our line out played their line all night so there was no reason to do anything.

If I were an Edmonton fan, I've be getting really tired of his act by now.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
For hockey fans so obsessed with advanced stats, you'd think that they recognize that there is more than one way to win hockey games other than taking more shots on goal and possessing the puck more often.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Yes, and if you aren't clear, goaltending is part of what can make a hockey team really good.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Reimer and Bernier should have save percentages over .925 by seasons end just like every other goalies on top teams. Fact is as many shots as Edmonton had, they didn't seem to generate any huge scoring chances. Our D do a good job of forcing a ton of perimeter shots

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
For hockey fans so obsessed with advanced stats, you'd think that they recognize that there is more than one way to win hockey games other than taking more shots on goal and possessing the puck more often.

Whats really funny about the advanced stats folks is they use the team metrics to bash the Leafs all day, but completely ignore them when it comes to Dion Phaneuf, who led the league in Corsi QoC last season. I think its a lot more

Side note, but for a team with one captain and 6 alternate captains, the Oilers sure dont look all that well led.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/01/as-for-everyone-oilers-name-six-alternate-captains/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the funny thing is that some are looking at the box scores and see the amount of shots the Oilers put up to say we didn't play well. As if some are this delusional to think out shooting an opponent is a sign of out playing one. Talk about ignorance.

Sigh...

I think you could easily cut their shot count in half if you take away the soft blue-line shots that they did for a line change. They shot it at the net constantly instead of in the corner.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dallas Eakins' post game:

(paraphrasing) They didn't out hit, out chance, out work or out shot us. They just out finished us.

Answering a question about leaving the Gagner line out against the Kessel line:

(paraphrasing) Our line out played their line all night so there was no reason to do anything.

If I were an Edmonton fan, I've be getting really tired of his act by now.

you know what that sounds like? very, eerily similar to Ron Wilson's "oh we just ran into a hot goalie." standard answer. You can tell, especially after Phil's filthy third goal (I am still freaking amazed that went in). that the Leafs went into turtle mode. but something that I'm realising - and I don't think we've given this team a lick of credit yet: we've learned how to turtle better. not WELL. (as indicative of the final shot tally).... but remember how many 2 goal leads we blew in the regular season last year because we started to shut down?

this year we're starting to do it a LOT better. I think once we get our pairings sorted out on the Defensive side - the shots on goal will be lowered.

but I don't get how they say they outworked the Leafs.. |I had to say they were both pretty equal on board work, and stuff. Our cycle game was on!

Morgan is my favourite player on this team. There is a HUGE difference in the way this group thinks. It's we rather than me or I.

you know - now i wonder if because he said "he was pretty sure it hit Kadri." if that's why his celebration was so muted (ie: HE knew it wasn't his goal). or again the maturity etc it's like, meh - i'll act like I've scored before.

I am loving. adoring. the attitude of this team and Burke/Nonis has done so much to eliminate the "Me First." attitude of the team that has been around for years. and I've said it time and again - you can TELL something is different, just by looking at them, listening to interviews (I can't really recall any interviews that say - Tie could do, and Bryan McCabe could just rib him, or vise versa, you know what I mean?).

to a man - regardless of whoever is doing an interview, everyone is teasing each other, laughing with one another (there are jokes about Stella :laugh: - Kessel/Bozak's dog for people who don't know). I said it during my pre-season interview and I think i even got poo-poohed about itl: the atmosphere in the Leafs lockerroom - is very similar to the Chicago Blackhawk's lockerroom. this is a team that before a big game (night before, whatever) you could totally tell would hunker down and play mario kart and just kick back.

and i personally feel that before ANYTHING ELSE you want to say about #1's this and #2 that we've been missing in Toronto for. a. while.

Telling you: that playoff series against Boston will probably be the best thing that happened to this core of players ... for a long while.

#lovethisteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad