The Referees

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Christ, that's why it's a colloquialism.
People like yourself use the colloquialism because it's victim-blaming. You're trying to make it sound like he's so proud of his good pass that he just stood there admiring how good it was and someone lined him up, which is never the case and you people that use the phrase all know it.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Christ, that's why it's a colloquialism.

It's an easy way to say that a player disengaged from play too early and was too busy doing anything else to be looking for physical contact. Again, you can still be hit after the puck has left your stick. Get your head up after you've made the pass, stop staring at the puck. You're the one that just passed it, you should already know where it's going. People who play hockey know that it's better to do this way than get belted and have to say "well I didn't think he should be able to hit me anymore" while you're picking yourself up off the ice.

Also the hit wasn't from behind, again. You keep saying that and it keeps not being true. It wasn't from where Marchessault was looking (duh) but Wilson didn't get him in the numbers.

You wanted it to be a major, you want it to be from behind, it was at best a 2 minute call for being slightly late and it never would have happened in the first place if Marchessault got his head forward again.
I'm just curious, what is the minimum number of tenths of a second that someone should be hit at mid-ice after he's touched the puck? We all know that the puck can move the whole 200 feet in less than 3 seconds between 3 players, because speed of play is so fast. Should you be able to hit the D-man from behind below his own goal line if you're circling behind the net if the puck is already at the opposing blue line? Because that's the way many of you people talk all the time.

It's one thing to keep your head on a swivel. It's another to expect that your opponent is a complete psychopath and will hit you because he's within 15 feet even if the puck is nowhere near you.

But hey, it's not like the Neanderthals that wish they were still Tom Wilson that work in DoPS do much to say you shouldn't.

If you like this game, you should want the rules enforced, because the lawsuits are already here. Saying things like "don't call major penalties because it attracts media attention, so call them minors" in email dialogue doesn't help.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
People like yourself use the colloquialism because it's victim-blaming. You're trying to make it sound like he's so proud of his good pass that he just stood there admiring how good it was and someone lined him up, which is never the case and you people that use the phrase all know it.

In this case that's not far off. He got the puck off his stick and everything about his body language relaxed immediately, he started straightening up and raised his center of gravity, etc.

I'm just curious, what is the minimum number of tenths of a second that someone should be hit at mid-ice after he's touched the puck? We all know that the puck can move the whole 200 feet in less than 3 seconds between 3 players, because speed of play is so fast. Should you be able to hit the D-man from behind below his own goal line if you're circling behind the net if the puck is already at the opposing blue line? Because that's the way many of you people talk all the time.

It's one thing to keep your head on a swivel. It's another to expect that your opponent is a complete psychopath and will hit you because he's within 15 feet even if the puck is nowhere near you.

But hey, it's not like the Neanderthals that wish they were still Tom Wilson that work in DoPS do much to say you shouldn't.

If you like this game, you should want the rules enforced, because the lawsuits are already here. Saying things like "don't call major penalties because it attracts media attention, so call them minors" in email dialogue doesn't help.

Hopeless. But yeah, if you whip the puck down the ice soooooo hard that it's halfway across the ice before you're even finished with the motion, you're still going to get hit if I'm there. Whether you got the puck 10 feet away or 100 doesn't really matter if it's still within a second or so. That's the way it works. That's what every NHL coach, player, and analyst is talking about when they say "finish your checks". If you have a guy lined up and he gets rid of the puck, you finish him anyway if it's not egregiously late. Wilson was slightly late, but if he'd been two strides closer then the hit would have been 100% legal and Marchessault still would have been blown up for looking over his shoulder instead of looking for contact.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
It's not "finishing your check," it's finishing a guy off when there's already a board battle going on for the puck. Do you even understand what interference is?

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
It's not "finishing your check," it's finishing a guy off when there's already a board battle going on for the puck. Do you even understand what interference is?
I mean, I understand that you don't...which is understandable, because obviously the fan base and the players in DC aren't being taught what the rules actually are, thus inciting a rash of stupidity here when Tom Wilson violates said rules and gets yet another suspension. The fact that they're not being enforced better because #itstheplayoffs isn't helpful.

The thing that really made me hate this iteration of the Caps the most wasn't Tom Wilson whining about his own suspension for shattering a guy's jaw from a headshot, it was T.J. Oshie whining that Wilson got suspended for it. There's a problem with the whole team if that's the reaction.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

LOL

What board battle?

The puck banks off the boards into Smith's skates and by the time he and the Caps defenseman are swatting at it, Marchessault has already been blasted. It's a matter of almost literally one second after Marchessault has played the puck.

Wilson freight trained William Karlsson by the benches after the latter dumped the puck in game 2, timing almost exactly the same, nobody gave a damn because Karlsson didn't act like none of his limbs worked anymore and got back up like a hockey player. No penalty, no thread, no Vegas fans with their pitchforks out because that's actually a totally legal hockey thing you can do.

Not one time in this thread have you described the play as it actually happened.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
LOL

What board battle?

The puck banks off the boards into Smith's skates and by the time he and the Caps defenseman are swatting at it, Marchessault has already been blasted. It's a matter of almost literally one second after Marchessault has played the puck.

Wilson freight trained William Karlsson by the benches after the latter dumped the puck in game 2, timing almost exactly the same, nobody gave a damn because Karlsson didn't act like none of his limbs worked anymore and got back up like a hockey player. No penalty, no thread, no Vegas fans with their pitchforks out because that's actually a totally legal hockey thing you can do.

Not one time in this thread have you described the play as it actually happened.
Yeah, WK got up because he didn't take a shoulder to head hit that shattered his jaw. I mean, this isn't rocket science. I'm not sure which play you're referring to that I'm misidentifying, but the two I've mentioned include a guy getting trucked from his blindside while a puck battle on the wall was already initiated and the other resulted in a 3 game suspension for a shot to the head that resulted in a broken jaw.

Stop making it seem like not getting injured makes you some sort of martyr to the greatness of "Hudson Bay Rules," as the NBCSN idiots call it.

It's gross

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Maybe Tom Wilson should take a page out of the Knights playbook and hit guys like Orpik got hit by Tuch the other night, and again tonight by Neal tonight.

They're injurious hits, but at least both of them were clean, which is a lot more than you can usually say for Tom Wilson.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, WK got up because he didn't take a shoulder to head hit that shattered his jaw. I mean, this isn't rocket science. I'm not sure which play you're referring to that I'm misidentifying, but the two I've mentioned include a guy getting trucked from his blindside while a puck battle on the wall was already initiated and the other resulted in a 3 game suspension for a shot to the head that resulted in a broken jaw.

Stop making it seem like not getting injured makes you some sort of martyr to the greatness of "Hudson Bay Rules," as the NBCSN idiots call it.

It's gross

You're misrepresenting the Marchessault hit, I've already spelled it out for you a few times. There's no "board battle", and Marchessault isn't hit from "behind". Marchessault suffered no injury, just stayed down, so your point about Karlsson getting up because he wasn't hurt is invalid.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe Tom Wilson should take a page out of the Knights playbook and hit guys like Orpik got hit by Tuch the other night, and again tonight by Neal tonight.

They're injurious hits, but at least both of them were clean, which is a lot more than you can usually say for Tom Wilson.

Despite the fact that it wasn't your average delivery, Neal left his feet to deliver the Orpik hit, so it wasn't precisely clean.

Tom Wilson's delivered quite a few hits, you can actually usually say they're clean. That's why he still has a job.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Refereeing is bad not because of bad calls, but because of its inconsistency, the teams just don't know what they're allowed to do and what they're not.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Despite the fact that it wasn't your average delivery, Neal left his feet to deliver the Orpik hit, so it wasn't precisely clean.

Tom Wilson's delivered quite a few hits, you can actually usually say they're clean. That's why he still has a job.
I agree that Tom Wilson, the dirtbag that he is, has delivered quite a few clean hits in his career. The 5% that aren't clean are the issue.

I'm also confused, that you being a Tom Wilson apologist, don't realize that you can leave your feet to hit someone legally. Neal jumping to avoid getting laid out by his old teammate that used to plug him in practices isn't illegal.

The problem that Tom Wilson has is he usually includes his shoulder to someone's head or very well after the puck is gone from the player that he's hitting.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Refereeing is bad not because of bad calls, but because of its inconsistency, the teams just don't know what they're allowed to do and what they're not.
Yeah, no. It's both. Even moving away from charging, hitting, etc ... The officials don't seem to understand with any sort of regularity what is and is not icing. That's both inconsistency and bad officiating. It's one reason I don't bother complaining about the officials if I can help it. After all, if they can't get something that straightforward correct 100% of the time, then why should I have hope that they can reliably deal with actual tough calls? Can't be disappointed if you never had faith in something to begin with.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I agree that Tom Wilson, the dirtbag that he is, has delivered quite a few clean hits in his career. The 5% that aren't clean are the issue.

I'm also confused, that you being a Tom Wilson apologist, don't realize that you can leave your feet to hit someone legally. Neal jumping to avoid getting laid out by his old teammate that used to plug him in practices isn't illegal.

The problem that Tom Wilson has is he usually includes his shoulder to someone's head or very well after the puck is gone from the player that he's hitting.

Wow.

If Neal were jumping to avoid getting laid out, he'd have jumped in any direction that wasn't right towards the guy who was going to hit him. No, he was delivering a counter-hit, but rather than plant his feet he jumped into the hit because he wasn't confident he'd be strong enough to square up to Orpik legally.

Jumping into a hit is never legal. You cannot "leave your feet to hit someone" legally. A player's skates leaving the ice after or during the force of the hit is entirely different from leaving your feet to ensure, or make violent, the contact.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Wow.

If Neal were jumping to avoid getting laid out, he'd have jumped in any direction that wasn't right towards the guy who was going to hit him. No, he was delivering a counter-hit, but rather than plant his feet he jumped into the hit because he wasn't confident he'd be strong enough to square up to Orpik legally.

Jumping into a hit is never legal. You cannot "leave your feet to hit someone" legally. A player's skates leaving the ice after or during the force of the hit is entirely different from leaving your feet to ensure, or make violent, the contact.
The fact that you think this hit was dirty, but what Tom Wilson does on a nightly basis indicates to me that either you're blind or delusional. Either way, you're not worth responding to again.

P.S., leaving your feet isn't illegal. You're not allowed to jump into someone if you're initiating the hit. He wasn't initiating the hit. There is a whole plethora of Player Safety videos that you don't seem up to date on. I suggest spending a half hour watching them because you seem to have missed the standard at which the game is being played.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Wow.

I suggest these ones which you seem to not understand -

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The fact that you think this hit was dirty, but what Tom Wilson does on a nightly basis indicates to me that either you're blind or delusional. Either way, you're not worth responding to again.

P.S., leaving your feet isn't illegal. You're not allowed to jump into someone if you're initiating the hit. He wasn't initiating the hit. There is a whole plethora of Player Safety videos that you don't seem up to date on. I suggest spending a half hour watching them because you seem to have missed the standard at which the game is being played.

By trying to hit somebody before they hit you, you're initiating a hit.

That's literally what that is. I don't recall spending any time bitching about that hit, I only pointed out that it wasn't exactly "clean" the way you say it was, because it wasn't. Neal initiated a hit by jumping into it. There were a number of people in the GDT making the same observation, but it was a weird play that you don't see every day and ultimately not worth making a huge deal over.

What Tom Wilson does on a nightly basis is clean, you already admitted that yourself. The worst part of his game are the bad hits and they don't happen every game. Those aside, he's not a slashing or spearing type of guy so unless squaring up and shoving each other is dirty, he's not really a dirty post-whistle player.

The hit you keep crying about was a 2 minute penalty (not a major from behind) for being maybe half a second late and was otherwise clean, so yeah, I'm not going to whine about how awful and dirty he is for it.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
What Tom Wilson does on a nightly basis is clean, you already admitted that yourself. The worst part of his game are the bad hits and they don't happen every game. Those aside, he's not a slashing or spearing type of guy so unless squaring up and shoving each other is dirty, he's not really a dirty post-whistle player.

The hit you keep crying about was a 2 minute penalty (not a major from behind) for being maybe half a second late and was otherwise clean, so yeah, I'm not going to whine about how awful and dirty he is for it.
Tom Wilson makes an egregiously dirty hit at least once every 5 games. The fact that we all make it seem like that's "not bad" is gross.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I mean, we've had an "incident" 4x with Tom Wilson this postseason alone. Just because the DoPS won't suspend him every time doesn't mean he's clean.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I mean, we've had an "incident" 4x with Tom Wilson this postseason alone. Just because the DoPS won't suspend him every time doesn't mean he's clean.

I didn't nominate him for the Lady Byng.

He's just not some relentless psychopath out for blood every game, or some monster attempting to injure anyone he can get his hands on. He might break your nose with his fist or your chin with his shoulder, but he's not going to break your wrist with his hockey stick or stomp on your leg with his skate.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I didn't nominate him for the Lady Byng.

He's just not some relentless psychopath out for blood every game, or some monster attempting to injure anyone he can get his hands on. He might break your nose with his fist or your chin with his shoulder, but he's not going to break your wrist with his hockey stick or stomp on your leg with his skate.
I think your definition from "relentless pyschopath" and mine might a bit off and you're giving him way too much credit.

He defines the sort of player with no regard for his opponents and wouldn't blink watching someone hauled off on a stretcher or body bag from one of his hits.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think your definition from "relentless pyschopath" and mine might a bit off and you're giving him way too much credit.

He defines the sort of player with no regard for his opponents and wouldn't blink watching someone hauled off on a stretcher or body bag from one of his hits.

Well that explains why you've re-imagined the Marchessault hit into a vicious assault from behind.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Well that explains why you've re-imagined the Marchessault hit into a vicious assault from behind.
It wasn't the worst hit he's made in the playoffs, despite the opinions of the Hockey Central guys in TO, but those guys somehow thought it was worse than his hits on Aston-Reese, Dumoulin, or Wennberg.

I disagree with them on this, because it's really difficult to determine which hit from Tom Wilson is the worst, even if you're only going on a weekly basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad