The Referees

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Every year people complain about the Refs and insist the calls are the worst that's ever been.

Every year nothing changes and the game goes on somehow despite the Refs being the worst ever apparently.

Reactions: Eisen and olli

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
I agree. Some missed and bad calls. So what. Just drink another beer, grab your vagisil and STFU. Enjoy the hockey. This is a great series. Some amazing hockey happening. Just enjoy it.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If you think NHL refs are bad, you should check out the NBA and NFL.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
My real issue with the refs this year hasn't really been missed plays, yeah their are a lot of them but generally Ref's put the whistles away and like to keep things even unless it's a clear cut opportunity (or a blatant penalty). This is why you see so many 4 on 4's when you normally don't. My issue is they've just had the worst placement on the ice I've seen all playoffs. They're getting caught up in traffic multiple times a game, causing awkward bounces and completely changing what would be a clear or a possession saving play into the opposite.

Good referee's you shouldn't notice and this year you're noticing them a lot.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
My real issue with the refs this year hasn't really been missed plays, yeah their are a lot of them but generally Ref's put the whistles away and like to keep things even unless it's a clear cut opportunity (or a blatant penalty). This is why you see so many 4 on 4's when you normally don't. My issue is they've just had the worst placement on the ice I've seen all playoffs. They're getting caught up in traffic multiple times a game, causing awkward bounces and completely changing what would be a clear or a possession saving play into the opposite.

Good referee's you shouldn't notice and this year you're noticing them a lot.
I agree that there's too many 4 on 4s. The Perron penalty that offset Wilson's blindside wouldn't have happened if the refs did their job and there's been a few off-setting embellishments called that weren't deserved (and a few that weren't called that were, to be fair).

(Edited because for once, Tom Wilson didn't headshot someone, so I fixed it)

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
People need to stop *****ing so much about the refereeing. Hockey is the the fastest team sports on the planet. Mistakes will be made but these guys are arguably the best in the world at this. So you, sitting on your sofa with cheeto dust on your fingers wouldn't have made all your calls correctly either.

A great post.

I already thought that I'm alone.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
NHL reffing is bad. several bad calls tonight, just like every night. seems like at their *VERY BEST*, the refs keep the game under control and keep penalties relatively even. but this inevitably involves mistaken calls and non-calls on both sides. it's such a low bar and a roughshod way to adjudicate a professional sport. "we're gonna miss calls ... but on a good night, we miss an equal number of calls on both sides."

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I agree that there's too many 4 on 4s. The Perron penalty that offset Wilson's blindside wouldn't have happened if the refs did their job and there's been a few off-setting embellishments called that weren't deserved (and a few that weren't called that were, to be fair).

(Edited because for once, Tom Wilson didn't headshot someone, so I fixed it)

well, blindside's not really a thing either, so good try I guess but there's still some work to do.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
NHL referees are great at their job. The thing is, and I'm not sure how I feel about it having reffed minor, junior, and college hockey myself, is that their job is to call the game according to how the officiating department instructs them to. They're great at that (for example, cross checking is apparently legal this season). If they're staring at a penalty according to the rulebook and don't call it, it's not because they didn't see it or are incompetent. It's because the league told them to not call that kind of thing.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
People need to stop *****ing so much about the refereeing. Hockey is the the fastest team sports on the planet. Mistakes will be made but these guys are arguably the best in the world at this. So you, sitting on your sofa with cheeto dust on your fingers wouldn't have made all your calls correctly either.

It's more the selective review of some plays and not others. Like Wilson and not Reaves in game 1

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
but they sure love those knights

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
well, blindside's not really a thing either, so good try I guess but there's still some work to do.
Yes, you're right, they're not explicitly regulated in the rules. Interference is, and hitting a guy from behind when he's trying to determine what's going to become of his pass that has already turned into a board battle, is very illegal, because it's dangerous. That's why a penalty got called and it would have been a major if it weren't so late that the officials weren't even looking at it because it was so far away from the puck.

I can't believe dirtbags defend this garbage with "admiring the pass" BS. He's looking at where the puck is going. He's not supposed to be hit from behind.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yes, you're right, they're not explicitly regulated in the rules. Interference is, and hitting a guy from behind when he's trying to determine what's going to become of his pass that has already turned into a board battle, is very illegal, because it's dangerous. That's why a penalty got called and it would have been a major if it weren't so late that the officials weren't even looking at it because it was so far away from the puck.

I can't believe dirtbags defend this garbage with "admiring the pass" BS. He's looking at where the puck is going. He's not supposed to be hit from behind.

It would have been a major if it weren't so late? This is a joke of a post, your outrage is almost entirely based on the jerseys involved and the names on them.

It wasn't even originally going to be called a penalty. They reviewed to see if they could call something and 2 for interference was the best they could do. If ANYTHING about that hit warranted a major he'd have gotten one, no question. The fact that Wilson made the hit is basically the only reason they reviewed anyway, so you know they were looking.

Admiring your pass is a real and dangerous thing to do when you play the sport of hockey. You described it pretty well. A player is eligible to be hit for a time after getting rid of the puck, which is why there's an emphasis placed on not admiring your pass, since you still need to be aware of physical contact for a few moments.

The hit wasn't from behind, not even a little, and the way it keeps morphing is insane. By the end of the summer people will be telling other people that Wilson gave him a flying dropkick to the temple.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I'm glad I'm not a parent, because if I had a kid that played hockey and someone hit my son or daughter at full speed from behind that far away from the wall when a puck battle was occurring at the wall and their dad heralded it, the police might end up being involved.

It's dirty and insinuating that it isn't shouldn't be acceptable. Less than 5% of players (and their parents) ruin what should be a good, skill-based game. Nothing annoys me more than these terrible takes that I know influence the play of young kids trying to play the sport, because their dads type them out all night on message boards.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
It would have been a major if it weren't so late? This is a joke of a post, your outrage is almost entirely based on the jerseys involved and the names on them.

It wasn't even originally going to be called a penalty. They reviewed to see if they could call something and 2 for interference was the best they could do. If ANYTHING about that hit warranted a major he'd have gotten one, no question. The fact that Wilson made the hit is basically the only reason they reviewed anyway, so you know they were looking.

Admiring your pass is a real and dangerous thing to do when you play the sport of hockey. You described it pretty well. A player is eligible to be hit for a time after getting rid of the puck, which is why there's an emphasis placed on not admiring your pass, since you still need to be aware of physical contact for a few moments.

The hit wasn't from behind, not even a little, and the way it keeps morphing is insane. By the end of the summer people will be telling other people that Wilson gave him a flying dropkick to the temple.
It wasn't going to be called a penalty because no official saw it because it was so far away from the puck. What part of this are you missing?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It wasn't going to be called a penalty because no official saw it because it was so far away from the puck. What part of this are you missing?

Right, and then they went and reviewed it.

And the worst they could call was 2 minutes. It wouldn't have been a major in this universe or any other.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015

Honestly, people who use the phrase "admiring your pass" should get cross-checked in the face repeatedly.

No one admires their pass.

Not one person.

The only thing you're trying to do is evaluate where to move next, because you're trying to gauge where the puck is going and how to make the best of yourself to be in place to receive a pass in return. What you shouldn't expect in this situation is being plugged from behind from a goon.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
The difference with the NHL is that they actually admit to calling a game differently depending on what type of situation it's in. In the playoffs they don't call as many penalties for the simple fact that it's the playoffs. People say, "Let them play." So basically that means let them break the rules of the game because it's the playoffs. It's wrong.

Reactions: stampedingviking

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
The difference with the NHL is that they actually admit to calling a game differently depending on what type of situation it's in. In the playoffs they don't call as many penalties for the simple fact that it's the playoffs. People say, "Let them play." So basically that means let them break the rules of the game because it's the playoffs.
Yes, it's the biggest joke in all the major professional sports in North America.

Just throw out the rules when they matter most, because #itstheplayoffs.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Honestly, people who use the phrase "admiring your pass" should get cross-checked in the face repeatedly.

No one admires their pass.

Not one person.

The only thing you're trying to do is evaluate where to move next, because you're trying to gauge where the puck is going and how to make the best of yourself to be in place to receive a pass in return. What you shouldn't expect in this situation is being plugged from behind from a goon.

Christ, that's why it's a colloquialism.

It's an easy way to say that a player disengaged from play too early and was too busy doing anything else to be looking for physical contact. Again, you can still be hit after the puck has left your stick. Get your head up after you've made the pass, stop staring at the puck. You're the one that just passed it, you should already know where it's going. People who play hockey know that it's better to do this way than get belted and have to say "well I didn't think he should be able to hit me anymore" while you're picking yourself up off the ice.

Also the hit wasn't from behind, again. You keep saying that and it keeps not being true. It wasn't from where Marchessault was looking (duh) but Wilson didn't get him in the numbers.

You wanted it to be a major, you want it to be from behind, it was at best a 2 minute call for being slightly late and it never would have happened in the first place if Marchessault got his head forward again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad