The Referees

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
rules? well in all wars you have the Geneva convention rules and as soon as you are losing out go es the rule book because losing is not an option.
NHL rules are set but in the playoffs the MOST important unwritten rule is let the refs not be the decider of the cup and if you ever notice, the last 10 minutes for games unless it's a scoring chance or blood is involved, you get away with anything. But that is for BOTH TEAMS, " yes it should have been a 2 min call but lets not forget the non call against you just a few seconds ago. It goes both ways.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Well the refs let a lot go in Game 3. No calls on cross checking. At least consistant on that.
No team was favoured in the game

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm glad I'm not a parent, because if I had a kid that played hockey and someone hit my son or daughter at full speed from behind that far away from the wall when a puck battle was occurring at the wall and their dad heralded it, the police might end up being involved.

It's dirty and insinuating that it isn't shouldn't be acceptable. Less than 5% of players (and their parents) ruin what should be a good, skill-based game. Nothing annoys me more than these terrible takes that I know influence the play of young kids trying to play the sport, because their dads type them out all night on message boards.
I am a parent and a fan of Tom Wilson and I wont defend the hit. It was interference and ultimately the Refs got it (somewhat) right.

Regardless your attempts to turn that hit into something it's not are unnecessary and highly sensationalized. That hit was absolutely not from behind and you absolutely need to grow up.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I am a parent and a fan of Tom Wilson and I wont defend the hit. It was interference and ultimately the Refs got it (somewhat) right.

Regardless your attempts to turn that hit into something it's not are unnecessary and highly sensationalized. That hit was absolutely not from behind and you absolutely need to grow up.
He plays like that all the time. The fact he was suspended only 4x is amazing. I hope your kids aren't taking their cues from him.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I thought the refs were far more consistent this past game. Mistakes were made but that is acceptable. Game 2 was just a trainwreck.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
People need to stop *****ing so much about the refereeing. Hockey is the the fastest team sports on the planet. Mistakes will be made but these guys are arguably the best in the world at this.

So you, sitting on your sofa with cheeto dust on your fingers wouldn't have made all your calls correctly either.

Agreed. However, they could improve the game a lot by choosing one crew to do the entire series.

As it stands now, you never know if the whistle is going away or not.

A penalty in Game 3 might have been something that was allowed in Game 1.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The fact that you think this hit was dirty, but what Tom Wilson does on a nightly basis indicates to me that either you're blind or delusional. Either way, you're not worth responding to again.

P.S., leaving your feet isn't illegal. You're not allowed to jump into someone if you're initiating the hit. He wasn't initiating the hit. There is a whole plethora of Player Safety videos that you don't seem up to date on. I suggest spending a half hour watching them because you seem to have missed the standard at which the game is being played.
What are you basing this on?

This is from the official rulebook:

Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice

Last edited:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The refs will always be scapegoats. But I agree with the OP that the speed of the game is as high as ever. It's basically time for the NHL to use video replays more often to help make the right calls. The technology is already present, so it's just a matter of integrating it properly, so that decisions could be made fast.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
The refs will always be scapegoats. But I agree with the OP that the speed of the game is as high as ever. It's basically time for the NHL to use video replays more often to help make the right calls. The technology is already present, so it's just a matter of integrating it properly, so that decisions could be made fast.
But then the human element will be removed and major mistakes that we discuss for 50 years won't occur. Who wants that?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He plays like that all the time. The fact he was suspended only 4x is amazing. I hope your kids aren't taking their cues from him.
This is whataboutism and also pathetic and unrelated to the thread topic and the incident in question. It’s really apparent you have an agenda against Wilson and your opinions where he is concerned have little relevance, ration, or value.

Reactions: Captain And Coke

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
This is whataboutism and also pathetic and unrelated to the thread topic and the incident in question. It’s really apparent you have an agenda against Wilson and your opinions where he is concerned have little relevance, ration, or value.
I'm not sure you're aware of what the term "whataboutism" means then.

You're right that I do have an agenda against Tom Wilson, though, because if you're going to play the game to injure people, I'd like to never see you play it again.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I won't for a second back down from the idea of him never putting his skates on NHL ice ever again. The league will be better for it. Let the Caps LTIR him and we can hope kids never emulate him ever again.

I mean, I know that's a pipe dream, but he's not good enough that he'll last into his mid 30s.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

You're right that I do have an agenda against Tom Wilson, though, because if you're going to play the game to injure people, I'd like to never see you play it again.
I said the singular hit on Marchessault wasn't from behind to which you replied, in essence, what about the fact "he plays like that all the time." It has no relevance to a discussion about the legality of that specific hit, hence whataboutism. Again, just to remind you, your agenda is pathetic.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

I won't for a second back down from the idea of him never putting his skates on NHL ice ever again. The league will be better for it. Let the Caps LTIR him and we can hope kids never emulate him ever again.

I mean, I know that's a pipe dream, but he's not good enough that he'll last into his mid 30s.
I already knew you were ignorant this just makes you obtuse.

Wow, those are some piping hot takes. I hope you're wearing flame Pejorative Slurant so you don't get burned. Although if all your other posts are as stupid as these two it's clear you've already roasted yourself.

Reactions: stampedingviking

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
I said the singular hit on Marchessault wasn't from behind to which you replied, in essence, what about the fact "he plays like that all the time." It has no relevance to a discussion about the legality of that specific hit, hence whataboutism. Again, just to remind you, your agenda is pathetic.
I don't really care if you don't like my takes, but you're again showing you lack the understanding of what the term "whataboutism" means. I'm not trying to deflect and say "well, what about this hit," to equivocate with one that Vegas (or any other team) got away with.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't really care if you don't like my takes, but you're again showing you lack the understanding of what the term "whataboutism" means. I'm not trying to deflect and say "well, what about this hit," to equivocate with one that Vegas (or any other team) got away with.
You're saying exactly what I said you're saying which is also whataboutism. It equates to "Well that hit wasn't illegal but whatabout all these others?" It is deflection and is also as weak as all your other arguments.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
People need to stop *****ing so much about the refereeing. Hockey is the the fastest team sports on the planet. Mistakes will be made but these guys are arguably the best in the world at this.

So you, sitting on your sofa with cheeto dust on your fingers wouldn't have made all your calls correctly either.
They are not even remotely close to the best. Too much nepotism and etc to allow newer people in that could actually make a difference though.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
WWF referees have to go somewhere to retire, right? NHL refs are so blatantly bad at their job that they don't even know what their job is

Most refs think their job is:
  • Break up fights due to a non call on a dirty play
  • Keep the calls even
  • Always call a WTF penalty on team leading in 2nd period to keep game close
  • 3rd period, no penalties unless we have to
  • Create overly long face off where you lecture someone about nothing serious, or throw out the wrong C for standing there
  • Ignore ALL crosschecks
  • Have puck hit you on break outs
  • Call needless hooking penalty...1 per game....usually right after someone gets CTEd from dirty hit with no penalty

Real job is
  • Call the penalties per the rule book, all the time, any time, even if playoffs. It probably will never be even.
  • Drop the freaking puck already, it's not about you
  • Ensure the safety of all players by calling penalties

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
the problem isn't that the refs are complete idiots (although sometimes I do wonder). It's that there's no reason to not slow things down to ensure that they do get the calls right. There's also a fairly inconsistent standard that has nothing to do with the competency of the refs, but reflects poorly on the league

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
the problem isn't that the refs are complete idiots (although sometimes I do wonder). It's that there's no reason to not slow things down to ensure that they do get the calls right. There's also a fairly inconsistent standard that has nothing to do with the competency of the refs, but reflects poorly on the league
Agree. One problem is that, no doubt by mandate and obviously intentionally, they let so much cheap stuff go both during play and after the whistle that they are left to judge the degree of the infraction, rather than just the infraction, and all in real time...and then they wonder why players embellish.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
I already knew you were ignorant this just makes you obtuse.

Wow, those are some piping hot takes. I hope you're wearing flame ******ant so you don't get burned. Although if all your other posts are as stupid as these two it's clear you've already roasted yourself.
Dude is a Penguins fan and obviously doesn't like strong clean hockey plays Tom Wilson makes 99.9% of the time. A lot of snowflakes led by one of the biggest cry babies in sports Sidney Crosby so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Sorry that Tom Strong Hockey Wilson made a clean hit on ZAR with accidental contact to the head and was suspended because of the cryfest to the league by the Pens. Also, in the real world parents parent and teach their own kid. They don't sit them down in front of a tv and tell them to watch and learn hockey from what they see on tv. When they are watching hockey on tv, they put things into context and you know parent their kid.

The refs across all sports (other than baseball but the strike zone is its own unique thing in that sport) are terrible because the games have gotten so fast it's hard for them to keep up. The best we can hope for is that they don't make game deciding calls/missed calls which unfortunately already has happen game 1.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Agree. One problem is that, no doubt by mandate and obviously intentionally, they let so much cheap stuff go both during play and after the whistle that they are left to judge the degree of the infraction, rather than just the infraction, and all in real time...and then they wonder why players embellish.
This is probabaly the most important point in the whole discussion and it gets overlooked all the time. Utimately it is the league that has created and allowed this issue to become a nightmare.

Hell, the more I think about it the more I am realizing the refs are just taking orders in most cases. Take faceoffs and slashing at the start of the year. All refs were pretty damn spot on and very close to the rulebook. League in its infinite wisdom told the refs to back off instead of telling the players to quit the stick work or re-evaluate face off rules.

There is still stuff like icing that makes you wonder about competency but maybe they are more puppets than I originallly thought. I would assume that rule enforcement would fall under the operations branch and look at the dumpster fire that is DoPS. Would it really surprise anyone the same clowns are giving orders to both departments?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00