The Ref Fix (and not what you think)

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I noticed none of these threads popped up during the 2 games in Toronto that were amazingly penalty free.

Look, if one team is carrying the play with a 53 to 13 or whatever it was shot attempt advantage over a 30 minute span why would they be taking penalties at all? They have the puck!

Without even looking at the series stats, I’m assuming Pitt has more pp chances than Philly. Maybe I’m off here. But my eyes have told me that should be the way it is.

The Leafs probably should’ve had a few more times in the box last night in the last 10 minutes. But they went in to the old ‘they can’t call pass interference on every play’ mode and it worked. Be happy about it.

Boston is up on total pp opportunities in the series because they’ve carried the play longer than the Leafs have. If the Leafs switch roles next game it would more favour them. Simple.

At 4-1 the Bruins were carrying the play? What game were you watching? The Leafs were whooping that booty and then the refs took over and the Bruins shot advantage obviously went up. Hard not to with 12 minutes of PP time including a 5-3 in the last what 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Krazy,

At least you came up with specifics,

The Chara high stick wasn't really a high stick, it was a forearm shiver with a stick behind held, that would have been a marginal call, but ok, you can argue that could have been called, and on the flip side, we can argue that the JVR knee to Krug's face then sitting on him, should have been called right?

2.) Absolutely, like I said previously, weird call for Gardiner to take, but you can take Chara, then the leaf player after, then the Boston player after, etc, generally in those scrums they will take the principals.

3.) I remember that, that was a tap on the head, and didn't even catch it until the fifth or six replay, but ok, that could have been called, just as Kadri's cross check to the Boston players head, after he tried to put him in the bench, don't remember the B player,

Point is, both teams had penalties that COULD have been called on them, but the majority of Toronto's penalties were......ready for it......penalties.

Do you honestly think it was 6:1 infractions for Toronto? I mean we can go back and forth on all the potential calls but the leafs were not more egregious or 6 times as many

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
At 4-1 the Bruins were carrying the play what game were you watching? The Leafs were whooping that booty and then the refs took over and the Bruins shot advantage obviously went up. Hard not to with 12 minutes of PP time including a 5-3 in the last what 30 minutes.
Yes. At 4-1. With about 30 minutes left.

Or did I watch a different game last night that wasn’t played in one end of the ice for the final period and a half?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Do you honestly think it was 6:1 infractions for Toronto? I mean we can go back and forth on all the potential calls but the leafs were not more egregious or 6 times as many

I do, I think it could have easily been 8-1, 9-1, the JVR play on Krug was stupid, he got away with it, but you don't pull that in a tight game you have to have, same with the Kadri cross check, those EASILY could have been called and were not,

I'm really hard pressed to find anything on Boston's side that is like that, yea, they could have called chara on the high stick, but I don't feel it was a high stick, i'd have to watch it again and again etc, but Boston didn't do much in terms of fouls last night

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Really, go ahead, what did they do that you think they deserved a penalty for and didnt get one?

Was it one JVR kneed Krug in the corner and sat on him? Did Krug deserve a penalty there?

I suppose that's as viscous of a knee as you can get ... suspendable offence in the state of Massachusetts.

But, let's start with this. Gardiner gets 2, but Chara gets nothing for a straight punch to the head... CTE anyone?

So, two for "roughing" for Gardiner? Did I miss something there ... ? There was no fight, just Backes without a glove throwing punches at a guy with his gloves on ... obviously you step in and try holding him back. It'd be different if Gardiner went in there throwing haymakers.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

member 147413

If you are basing this off of last night's game you are far far far off the mark,

Review the calls that were made.

Bozak slashing - correct call, the call was made for the slash into the hands, but CBC either missed it, or glossed over it

Zaitsev tripping - well, yea easy call

Grzelyck - tripping - well yea, easy call

Hyman, Gardiner, Backes roughing - pretty much, if Gardiner stays out, its a PP

Bozak -interference, that was one of the idiotic penalties of the game, nowhere near the play, guy isn't dangerous, but takes him out anyways

Polak - Slashing - obvious call

Johnsson - Hooking - probably holding, but again, pretty easy call if you are coasting and reach out to impede

Dermott - Holding - Actually don't remember that one, so let's be gracious and assume that one is a bad penalty to call,

ONE out of the entire game....

Your grasping at straws
The frustration is less on the legitimacy of calls against Toronto, but more so, some of the soft calls that were called against Toronto were not called against Boston.

If you’re gonna call everything, call it for both sides.

Additionally, there was A LOT of diving/embellishing by the Bruins. You had to dive to get a call last night and the Leafs didn’t dive.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The following was called "holding" ???

Now compare to last game ... are you starting to understand the frustration?

The following was called "hooking" ... seems suspect in the playoffs.

Yes, that Dermott penalty was ABSOLUTELY a penalty, it was a dangerous play, simple as that.

As far as Gardiner, again, they will get the principals, him, Hyman and Backes were all principals, I've already stipulated that they could have called chara as well etc.

As far as JVR goes, I never said it was a vicious knee, it doesn't have to be, nowhere near the play, and he runs the risk of another power play? That was a stupid play.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

As far as the McAvoy "slewfoot" not even close, that was upper body vs upper body and leverage, and Hyman lost, not even close to a slewfoot....

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yes, that Dermott penalty was ABSOLUTELY a penalty, it was a dangerous play, simple as that.

As far as Gardiner, again, they will get the principals, him, Hyman and Backes were all principals, I've already stipulated that they could have called chara as well etc.

As far as JVR goes, I never said it was a vicious knee, it doesn't have to be, nowhere near the play, and he runs the risk of another power play? That was a stupid play.

Compare to last game

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Compare to last game

So you want to compare missed calls from game to game, why aren't you showing the Kadri cross check to the head?

Doesn't fit the narrative? No one is saying there aren't missed calls, there are, there weren't many last night which is the game I am talking about, if you want to talk about a different game, go ahead.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The frustration is less on the legitimacy of calls against Toronto, but more so, some of the soft calls that were called against Toronto were not called against Boston.

If you’re gonna call everything, call it for both sides.

Additionally, there was A LOT of diving/embellishing by the Bruins. You had to dive to get a call last night and the Leafs didn’t dive.

The only soft call you can argue would be Johnsson's, maybe, and even then that was a penalty that he didn't need to take, no danger, players ahead of him, and he stopped skating, is it a call, yes, is it one they had to make, no, probably not, but it took him off stride and they tend to notice that,

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
I’m going on the assumption refs show up to do their job as best they can. I’m definitely not going to speculate a conspiracy theory that they were out to call the game in favour of Boston. That’s much more ridiculous.

I never said all penalties were justified leaffever, I am saying refs are calling penalties they belief are warranted.

Hi Francis Charron, I see you

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

where is the puck in the first video? i dont even see it, looks like he knocked down a guy randomly = interference

second video, the puck is right there, and since he didnt slew foot its not a call since the puck is right there

ill give you 3rd one, but it happened all game long in the caps/jackets game 5 yesterday

so overall, correct on 1, correct on 2, 3 was wrong

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017

Kettle, meet pot.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I do, I think it could have easily been 8-1, 9-1, the JVR play on Krug was stupid, he got away with it, but you don't pull that in a tight game you have to have, same with the Kadri cross check, those EASILY could have been called and were not,

I'm really hard pressed to find anything on Boston's side that is like that, yea, they could have called chara on the high stick, but I don't feel it was a high stick, i'd have to watch it again and again etc, but Boston didn't do much in terms of fouls last night

If you actually think that it should be 9-1 as in the leafs committed 9 times as many fouls as the bruins in the last game........
I don’t think there is any chance to have a realistic conversation

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
where is the puck in the first video? i dont even see it, looks like he knocked down a guy randomly = interference

second video, the puck is right there, and since he didnt slew foot its not a call since the puck is right there

ill give you 3rd one, but it happened all game long in the caps/jackets game 5 yesterday

so overall, correct on 1, correct on 2, 3 was wrong

The puck was right where his stick was about to touch the ice. And I know what you're gonna say... that's still interference, he doesn't have the puck ... WELL ...

Listen, I wouldn't call that a penalty, I'm just looking for some consistency here.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you actually think that it should be 9-1 as in the leafs committed 9 times as many fouls as the bruins in the last game........
I don’t think there is any chance to have a realistic conversation

Krazy,

I asked for specifics, you brought three,

The hi-stick, the "punch" and the scrum with Chara,

Any more? Because if that's the only thing you are coming with, then yea, the penalties were fairly called, because the JVR knee/sit on Krug cancels the high stick, and the Kadri cross check cancels the "punch", so you are left with one extra, ok, fine, 9-2, 7-2 etc,

If THATS what you are basing it off, I don't know how you can't say it was fairly called, the Leafs committed 3-4 very undisciplined calls, while the Bruins did not.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The puck was right where his stick was about to touch the ice. And I know what you're gonna say... that's still interference, he doesn't have the puck ... WELL ...

Listen, I wouldn't call that a penalty, I'm just looking for some consistency here.

thats not the play i quoted though, im saying the one where it said holding. you just cant switch videos and ask for consistency when your the one saying it shouldnt have been a penalty.

i mean in the new one you posted, theres a small chance that the ref could have thought there was a touch of the puck by jvr depending on what angle he has.

point being, come on guys, every series has a game or two with bad refs. caps/jackets game 5 had a penalty called by both refs, and then they decided to change their minds with no video review or anything. its irritating that people think their team is the only one the nhl is out to get

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Normally I'd agree - bad calls both ways, some worse than others. Normally it balances out and both sides grumble about the refs. That's pretty much what you normally hope for from NHL reffing. Both sides not really happy but nothing outrageous.

Last night, the Bruins got every benefit of every doubt, and the Leafs got none. I can't imagine a single fan base that wouldn't be fuming if they were on the receiving end of the reffing last night.

And I get it, people who want the Leafs to lose think all of those calls were great and there was nothing the Bruins did that deserved any penalties, aside from the one the ref reluctantly called. But again, if the exact same thing had happened in reverse, Bruins fans would be up in arms.

No one is saying none of those plays were penalties. But there were a number of missed calls or identical plays the other way not called.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad