The Rebuilding of the C of Red - Rebuilding Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm hoping to get either Mac or Barkov.
Both in my mind could turn this sad group around. I mean, currently, Calgary has no 1st line and it is pretty apparent playing night in/out.

My targets this free agency are Flipper and Horton. As well as if Iggy wants to come. But no love lost if he doesn't.

I believe that guys like Tanguay are useful, he's signed to a cap friendly long term contract that other teams might be willing to move pieces for. I mean, Erat plays a different type of game of course, but if his numbers can garner a very high end prospect, I think Tanguay should be able to bring a very solid defense prospect back.

Either way, my ideal lines for next year would be:

Sven - Mac/Barkov - Horton
Backlund - Filppula - Hudler (2 center line, never a bad thing, also: 57.7; 'nuff said, I know it's guarded, but still)
Glencross - Stajan - Cammi or Stemp (One has to be dealt imo)
Jackman - Bouma - Grats
+'s are Begin and Aliu; depending on fourth line play.

Defense, would require a hockey trade using Cammy and/or Tanguay. Because our defense is pretty bad lol (*cough* 8 goals *cough*)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think it's time for a new look Flames. It's the beginning of a new era. New jerseys, new symbol, the whole shabang.

We should create a logo that incorporates people throwing hockey sticks into a bonfire because the team's play lately suggests that they couldn't really play any worse.

:sarcasm:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know what the team should do. I'm a bit puzzled. Feaster carefully builds a basement dweller, ejects what he thinks are the biggest assets (or albatrosses) for what I thought were decent returns and yet they still have to go into next year with the same skeleton of a team. I'm sure he had no takers for Tanguay and Cammelleri, but when he says he had 25 calls about Glencross, and did nothing, I don't understand. Glencross is a good player, at a very good cap hit, but he would have brought a lot back if he was moved. Why is Feaster clinging to him? It's not like he's Eric Lindros. These guys are all replaceable. Look what Nashville got for Erat. Very questionable deadline performance in my opinion. A 4 year non-playoff team can't rebuild on the fly. There is no rebuilding on the fly. This is stupid.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I don't know what the team should do. I'm a bit puzzled. Feaster carefully builds a basement dweller, ejects what he thinks are the biggest assets (or albatrosses) for what I thought were decent returns and yet they still have to go into next year with the same skeleton of a team. I'm sure he had no takers for Tanguay and Cammelleri, but when he says he had 25 calls about Glencross, and did nothing, I don't understand. Glencross is a good player, at a very good cap hit, but he would have brought a lot back if he was moved. Why is Feaster clinging to him? It's not like he's Eric Lindros. These guys are all replaceable. Look what Nashville got for Erat. Very questionable deadline performance in my opinion. A 4 year non-playoff team can't rebuild on the fly. There is no rebuilding on the fly. This is stupid.
i think it was good to keep tanguay and cam, they can take on the oppositions best next year and we can move them for picks next deadline. id rather have 3 firsts this year and 2 next year than 4 and 1. plus glencross wouldnt waive for a trade which is fine.

Aug 3, 2010
That didn't happen. Sedins acknowledged the fact that there was a very good chance they wouldn't play together.
You should do your research. They heavily entertained the notion of playing together. They had extensive coaching/advising on how to beat the system, i.e. not honouring their draft team and waiting a few years for their shot at free agency. They weren't stupid and did recognize the fact they might not be drafted together but they also figured they could just wait it out until their rights were released.
Many pre-draft articles including interviews conducted with the Sedins state this.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You should do your research. They heavily entertained the notion of playing together. They had extensive coaching/advising on how to beat the system, i.e. not honouring their draft team and waiting a few years for their shot at free agency. They weren't stupid and did recognize the fact they might not be drafted together but they also figured they could just wait it out until their rights were released.
Many pre-draft articles including interviews conducted with the Sedins state this.

Of course they wanted to play together. And yes, I read about their agent providing them with options to circumvent the draft so they could stick together. But they didn't do any of that. In order to wait out their contracts, they would have had to move to North America and join a junior hockey team, which they didn't want to do. So they entered the draft thinking they'd likely play for different teams.

But 'heavily entertaining the notion of playing together' isn't the same thing as 'publicly announcing that they wouldn't play for different teams'.

From an interview with the Sedins:
Q: Former Canucks GM Brian Burke made a draft-day deal to select both of you back in 1999. How prepared were you for the thought of playing on different teams?

Daniel: I remember expecting to play on different teams, actually. All the talk before the draft was that there was no way we would be able to play together, so we were ready to be apart. Then, five minutes before the draft, Thomas Gradin, the European scout for the Canucks, came up to us and told us that they were going to draft us both, so that was pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Of course they wanted to play together. And yes, I read about their agent providing them with options to circumvent the draft so they could stick together. But they didn't do any of that. In order to wait out their contracts, they would have had to move to North America and join a junior hockey team, which they didn't want to do. So they entered the draft thinking they'd likely play for different teams.

But 'heavily entertaining the notion of playing together' isn't the same thing as 'publicly publicly announcing that they wouldn't play for different teams'.

From an interview with the Sedins:
Fair enough, I had a bit of hyperbole in my statement but I still feel that the moves Burke made were over-the-top (not bad moves, just excessive) but he at least did a good job obviously of guaranteeing his team the players he wanted instead of leaving it up to chance. The twins were always going to play in the same place eventually but to get them at the Draft was more impressive.

Wish Calgary could do the same with the 1st overall and transform them both to 2nd and 3rd overall this season. A fan can dream...

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
If this team picks Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin i'd like to trade back up into the top 10-12 and take a guy like Nurse, Ristolainen, or Pulock. This team is sincerely lacking in high end defensive prospects and one of these three guys would be a huge addition going forward.

However, if we take Jones i would keep the picks and going BPA on both of them.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Going into next season, 14 teams have less than 1.8M in cap space. May open up some trades from teams trying to dump salary.

There is not a lot of attractive options in FA.

Edit: Ignore. I misinterpreted Cap Geeks tweet. Its 1.8 million per roster spot, with the average player salary being 2.45 million.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Going into next season, 14 teams have less than 1.8M in cap space. May open up some trades from teams trying to dump salary.

There is not a lot of attractive options in FA.

Edit: Ignore. I misinterpreted Cap Geeks tweet. Its 1.8 million per roster spot, with the average player salary being 2.45 million.

Still, there are a few teams in cap jail that we could "help", for a price...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ok..so since there was so much intrigue in GlenX I have a bit of a crazy idea..

At the draft: Glencross + Pit 1st + Stl 1st for a Top 5 pick + Prospect.

Am I crazy? Yes.

We could get Jones + MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin this way.

Rebuild half over. What say you?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Ok..so since there was so much intrigue in GlenX I have a bit of a crazy idea..

At the draft: Glencross + Pit 1st + Stl 1st for a Top 5 pick + Prospect.

Am I crazy? Yes.

We could get Jones + MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin this way.

Rebuild half over. What say you?

Hard to say no to that. I still doubt any team passes up their top 5 picks even for that package. Plus Glenny has to waive too.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hard to say no to that. I still doubt any team passes up their top 5 picks even for that package. Plus Glenny has to waive too.

It would be crazy to land Nate and Seth @ the same time... It could really kickstart the rebuild/speed it up...

I just don't see how it's possible... We would have to severely overpay for a top 3 pick, and we have don't have to many assets...

This teams best assets: CGY 1st, Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, Giordano, GlenX 1st St. Louis, 1st Pitts.

I think it's safe to say we're in this for the long haul.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think it's time for a new look Flames. It's the beginning of a new era. New jerseys, new symbol, the whole shabang.

Something like this?

flaming+bag+head.jpg

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
It would be crazy to land Nate and Seth @ the same time... It could really kickstart the rebuild/speed it up...

I just don't see how it's possible... We would have to severely overpay for a top 3 pick, and we have don't have to many assets...

This teams best assets: CGY 1st, Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, Giordano, GlenX 1st St. Louis, 1st Pitts.

I think it's safe to say we're in this for the long haul.

Yea if we want to trade up for a top 5 pick IMO it begins with Baertschi and St.Louis + Pitts 1st's. Worth it? Hard to say.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013

I don't think any of the other 4 teams in the bottom 5 would agree to the deal either. That being said, I don't we should do it either. I rather keep our three picks than trade up. It makes far more sense. Elite players can develop from the later 10-30 overall picks (look at Kopitar, Giroux, Iginla, Shattenkirk, Subban, Karlsson, and the list could go on forever). This draft is also supposed to be deep in talent. We could walk away from the this draft with 3 elite players. If we traded up, at most we could walk away with is two.

I'm actually really excited about next season. If you think about it, at the start of next season we will have one top pick, and four high end prospects (including Baertschi and Backlund) playing on our roster next season. That and if Iginla does resign in Calgary, I could see our franchise in really good shape next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad