The Rebuilding of the C of Red - Rebuilding Thread

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
oilers fan coming in peace, coming in peace

im not going to knock the deals feaster did, they have been done to death, but what is the plan going forward with calgary? they have 3 firsts this year but are they just expecting them to come in right away and help? the compete for the playoff attitude murray edwards is portraying just seems to me that he doesnt grasp where the team is, your probably not going to have to rebuild as long as edmonton (3 years) cause you did have stars to start with. i want to know what flames fans thing is going to happen over the next few month when it comes to free agency and going forward

Last edited:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Feaster was just on the Fan 960 and spoke on that comment, and explained that the whole "making the playoffs next year" comment is basically the organization letting players know they get no free pass and expect every player who plays here to compete like they were trying to make the playoffs. Doesn't sound like they're bailing on the rebuild by any means or like they're planing on going after "win-now" players.

The way Feaster said it, it does sound that way. He said that Edwards told him he expects them to be in the playoffs next year. Sounds to me like pressure from ownership to build a playoff team right away.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The way Feaster said it, it does sound that way. He said that Edwards told him he expects them to be in the playoffs next year. Sounds to me like pressure from ownership to build a playoff team right away.

Yea this^

Feaster has always been able to put a good spin on what he says but it is pretty clear that ownership wants to compete again next year.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
The biggest holes on the flames roster right now are a #1 C and #1 D.

This team doesnt need to blow up much more to start rebuilding.

Coming out of the draft the flames have a shot at Barkov or Mackinnon they take them. Draft BPA with the other two first and we have into next season:

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak (Plays the tough competition)
Tanguay - Backlund - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Mackinnon - Hudler
----------- 4th Line------------

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - FA
Butler - Cundari

Ramo
Berra

Leaves us with:

Gaudreau
Jankowski
St. Louis Pick
Pittsburgh Pick
Gillies
Brossoit
Seiloff
Ferland
Reinhart
Hanowski
Agostino
Arnold
etc...

The roster isnt completely devoid of talent and it allows us to bring the prospects up slowly. Nailing this draft will be incredibly important going forward.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Getting to the playoffs and being a Cup Contender are two different animals, sooooo........

we could still stay on the "draft plan" by keeping all our picks in June and getting 3 first rounders

but stay on the "UFA plan" and sign guys like Weiss, Horton and maybe some hockey trades i.e. Hudler for Z. Michalek

Feaster has yet to make a Forsberg for Erat type trade so I think we keep our picks/youth and go hard at UFAs

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Penguins taking on Jokinen's 3 million for next year further's the conspiracy that Iggy comes back

but only if Pens win Cup, IMO

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Penguins taking on Jokinen's 3 million for next year further's the conspiracy that Iggy comes back

I think if Iginla ever comes back, it won't be for another 3-4 years, towards the tail end of his career.

Seriously, once he gets a taste of a well run organization that knows how to run a team and surrounds him with talent, why would he want to come back to this gong show? Especially if he wins a Cup, he'll likely want to win another and go on a few more cup runs.

He'll likely re-sign with Pittsburgh or another contender, and maybe return in his final year before calling it quits, so he can retire with the Flames.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

They can still buy out Jokinen if it means making room for Iggy :dunno: . As many people have stated, he probably won't come back unless he wins a cup.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
do you guys think there is anyways the flames can draft both Drouin and Mackinnon??

It's possible, I just put it above Feaster's abilities as a GM. It would have to be a similar situation to how Vancouver got both Sedins. Another reason why I want Burke.

Aug 3, 2010
It's possible, I just put it above Feaster's abilities as a GM. It would have to be a similar situation to how Vancouver got both Sedins. Another reason why I want Burke.
You mean Mackinnon and Drouin are going to publicly announce that they wouldn't play for different teams?

It had little to do with Burke - in fact, I've always felt that he made those trades needlessly. As long as he was in the position to pick one first, he would have gotten the other because one Sedin would refuse to play. It might have taken until the second round, or a contract holdout/dispute by a Sedin, but it was going to happen regardless.

Totally incomparable situations regarding drafting twice in the top 5.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
After all the trades and commotion of the past few days, wanted to wish you guys the best of luck in your re-build/re-tool. Seems like Ottawa a few years ago, this was a long time coming, but came about rather quickly. Watching prospects develop is INFINITELY better seeing a team back into the playoffs and predictably get bounced in the first round!

But honestly.....no chance you can get Florida's pick. At this point they need quality, established young players to take them forward. Less value on picks/prospects. IMO.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
So if we pick top 5, would the players be ready to play next season in NHL? I am not too familiar with this year's prospects. Knowing that we could get our own Towes/Stamkos/Tavares etc is exciting.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You mean Mackinnon and Drouin are going to publicly announce that they wouldn't play for different teams?

It had little to do with Burke - in fact, I've always felt that he made those trades needlessly. As long as he was in the position to pick one first, he would have gotten the other because one Sedin would refuse to play. It might have taken until the second round, or a contract holdout/dispute by a Sedin, but it was going to happen regardless.

Totally incomparable situations regarding drafting twice in the top 5.

That didn't happen. Sedins acknowledged the fact that there was a very good chance they wouldn't play together.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
you would think a player like mackinnon could develop chemistry with a greatly talented player like baertschi. I know he has being doing great with drouin but we have other players that we should try to acquire instead of going all in for mackinnon and drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad