The Rebuild/Tank Related GDT/Thread #16 - Now, in 27th (4th Pick Ovr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I'll buy that the Leafs are rebuilding when some of the core actually gets traded. Until then, I haven't seen much to make me believe that they are.

Fair enough. Just keep in mind it's not their job to, convince you. What they may or may not do only matters when it becomes what they did or did not do

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I was surprised that Bozak was not traded because starting next season he will only have 3 years left on his contract and his cap hit is $4.2 million. So compared to the talk about Phaneuf and Lupul, not trading Bozak was surprising based on that.

I was surprised a bit at the lack of chatter surrounding him but when you look at the day overall, it doesn't seem like there was much of a market for players with term at all.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Florida also got a 1st overall and 2nd overall. Add that to Bjugstad who was a major hit. We have none of these as of yet.

You don't need a 1st and 2nd overall to build a team. Either way, if we end up drafting Strome this season that is pretty comparable to Barkov in terms of predraft value, and we already have two other (potential) impact players developing in Nylander and Rielly

Last edited:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
It's even more important to trade the core for high picks at THIS draft dont forget
Best draft in yrs, assuming they'll get 2015 picks mostly

How many teams have traded some high picks already?
That's another factor

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Arizona had a good day doing what we couldn't do. Getting worse in the present while simultaneously getting better in the future. It's not going to be easy holding our current position.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
It's even more important to trade the core for high picks at THIS draft dont forget
Best draft in yrs, assuming they'll get 2015 picks mostly

How many teams have traded some high picks already?
That's another factor

I don't think its all that important tbh. We have 2 1st Rd picks, I would like to snag at least a 2nd at the draft which is reasonable and we're sitting in good shape. Next years draft isn't a dud. I've heard from more knowledgeable than myself that while not as top heavy there is quality deeper into the 2nd and beyond.

I'm sure if there was another first out there for us we would have grabbed it. I imagine holding firm had something to do with the there not being a lot of firsts left to be moved after rentals.

I would rather have a 1st next year than 2 2nds this year for example

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Arizona had a good day doing what we couldn't do. Getting worse in the present while simultaneously getting better in the future. It's not going to be easy holding our current position.

Except the biggest contract they gave away was 2 years, and they retained 50%. Complete different situation, they are minimum a year ahead of us in a rebuild.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

We got significantly worse on paper considering we moved most of our best performers since the big dogs checked out weeks ago

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Except the biggest contract they gave away was 2 years, and they retained 50%. Complete different situation, they are minimum a year ahead of us in a rebuild.

Well their prospect pool is way better then the Leafs, and they have more top picks this year and next than the Leafs.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Yep they made a clear statement in what direction their team is going

Why Nonis is still claiming this team isnt gonna do a full rebuild :shakehead

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
2015 1st rounders:
7 teams have 2
16 teams have 1
7 teams have none

buf - 2
edm - 2
ari - 2
tor - 2
car - 2
win - 2
phi - 2

nj - 1
ott - 1
col - 1
dal - 1
min - 1
fla - 1
van - 1
sj - 1
bos - 1
cal - 1
was - 1
det - 1
mon - 1
win - 1
ana - 1

nyi - 0
nyr - 0
nas - 0
stl - 0
chi - 0
pit - 0
la - 0

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
You don't need a 1st and 2nd overall to build a team. Either way, if we end up drafting Strome this season that is pretty comparable to Barkov in terms of predraft value, and we already have two other (potential) impact players developing in Nylander and Rielly
I dont disagree with you but the last team to win a cup without a 1st or 2nd overall pick was detroit.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
2015 1st rounders:
7 teams have 2
16 teams have 1
7 teams have none

buf - 2
edm - 2
ari - 2
tor - 2
car - 2
win - 2
phi - 2

nj - 1
ott - 1
col - 1
phi - 1
dal - 1
min - 1
fla - 1
van - 1
sj - 1
bos - 1
cal - 1
was - 1
det - 1
mon - 1
win - 1
ana - 1

nyi - 0
nyr - 0
nas - 0
stl - 0
chi - 0
pit - 0
la - 0

Pretty much anyone who doesn't have serious aspirations of winning this year held on to their pick. Ana and Min are the maybes there. Makes a lot of sense actually when you see it like that.

Though you have some teams with 2 and with 1

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
^
writer clearly doesn't have a grasp on reality if he thought there would be wide spread culling of core pieces on TDD.

TDD is for changing UFA's into assets...done
The fact they traded Clarkson is a miracle. There is no rush. wait to see who you draft, maybe you can move someone at the draft or in the summer. Its about getting value for your assets at this point.

on with the tank.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Pretty much anyone who doesn't have serious aspirations of winning this year held on to their pick. Ana and Min are the maybes there. Makes a lot of sense actually when you see it like that.

Though you have some teams with 2 and with 1

yeah phi they got 2 not 1

7 teams with 2 first rounders
wicked

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
^
writer clearly doesn't have a grasp on reality if he thought there would be wide spread culling of core pieces on TDD.

TDD is for changing UFA's into assets...done
The fact they traded Clarkson is a miracle. There is no rush. wait to see who you draft, maybe you can move someone at the draft or in the summer. Its about getting value for your assets at this point.

on with the tank.

How patient should the Leafs be with this situation?

There's nothing saying that other teams dont change their minds and focus their attentions elsewhere.And yes, visa versa as well.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I dont disagree with you but the last team to win a cup without a 1st or 2nd overall pick was detroit.

I'd argue that Boston would have won with or without Seguin, but I guess that's true. There is no reason we can't be drafting in the top 3 next season though, 3 lottery chances and if this summer goes well we should be in the bottom 5 again in draft odds.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How patient should the Leafs be with this situation?

There's nothing saying that other teams dont change their minds and focus their attentions elsewhere.And yes, visa versa as well.

again (i feel like i've been saying this all day) :laugh:
i think they have to be as patient as they need to be without losing all value. it took Buffalo 3.5 years to get rid of their stinky contracts. our contracts will have 5 (for Dion), 3 (Bozak), 3 (Lupul), and 7 (Kessel) that is a LOT of term for a very small/not rising cap.

my play would be - getting rid of Dion (and hold firm - prospect, pick, dump. that is it. if they want retention, they have to pay for said rentention)

I'd be playing up that Bozak can play anywhere (basically - we'll ignore the fact that really 'well" without elite talent - so in case of injuries, he can for the most part settle in. Faceoffs (esp. in playoffs) are key and he's great on that and good on a PK/shorthanded situation, and he's good at scoring goals off that as well).

Lupul i'd be saying he does have the ability to be a game changer and they SAVE MONEY when hes on the LTIR. (i'd take back less value on that one - i think the scary things for teams is that he's injured - i'd also point out a lot of his injuries are flukes, not chronic things that a lot of player deal with).

Phil i would hold on - my price would be a prospect, b prospect, 1st round pick
(or. 1st round pick, and lots of B prospects) it's 35 goals + PPG in the playoffs. 8 million is a lot but not a lot of people can claim that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad