The Rebuild/Tank Related GDT/Thread #16 - Now, in 27th (4th Pick Ovr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd be all in for a house cleaning right now to the 25 years old starting next season.

Keep a couple of veterans that we don't care if they ever win a Cup.

Move the mediocre talent to the highest bidders.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not convinced either
Phaneuf Kessel Bozak
They have to go !

whats freaking me out the most and none of this makes any sense at all

a guy like kessel is openly being shopped and not even a whisper of him being moved.?

how about bozak, he should have been the hottest C ticket going. and not a whisper.

i have seen more TD days cover to cover then i can count

and i have never see two supposed tickets like this get no word play at all.

SgtJoseph*

Aww thanks.

I really like the flyers and was ecstatic when we got JVR from you guys, your organization has a winning and competitive pedigree and getting a player like James I was hoping he would bring some of that here.

I hated seeing JVR leave Philly , but i too hoped he could help the leafs get going in the right direction ......Its gonna take some time and patience .

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

a guy like kessel is openly being shopped and not even a whisper of him being moved.?

how about bozak, he should have been the hottest C ticket going. and not a whisper.

There aren't a lot of teams that are able to pick up 4M-8M dollar cap hits for multiple years. Especially because of the amount of UFA's being used and the possible futures that were obviously at stake should you choose to make a move. Teams are generally much more content taking on a guy who's got an expiring deal or 1 year left for a short term playoff run etc. The trades for big contracts typically happen in the offseason.

The other thing that is the elephant in the room is the potential for the cap to go down rather than up. Its going to cause a TON of problems for the teams that are already stretched, makes it even more difficult to make a quick decision on a player with a big ticket

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Nonis wasn't selling at a bargain.

Might take through the summer before we see any real movement.

I don't even think much will happen at the draft.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Kessel was never expected to go this deadline. He was always going to be a deadline move.

There was talk of Bozak. Was there a lot today? Not a whole lot, he was mentioned as someone the Leafs could move, but the discussions were around Phaneuf and Lupul because those two are bigger names than Tyler Bozak.

Like Dreger said, we could have moved Phaneuf today, and we had discussions about Lupul, but ultimatley, we will have more options, and better deals on the table this summer.

The only team on Phaneuf's list where a deal was possible at this point in time, was Detroit. We had one option.

Come the draft/summer, that will likely rise to 6/7, possibly more, of the 14 teams he is willing to go too.

Joffery Lupul, this summer, will be 100% healthy, which likely played a factor. Lupul himself said he wouldn't be 100% until the summer.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i don't see how it "all " happens at the draft or anything for that matter, the new cap is set after the draft.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Of course not! We really needed to acquire 2015 draft picks to accelerate the rebuild. Instead, we'll likely only see 2016, or 2017 draft picks and beyond, for our so-called premier players. I don't see us competing for the playoffs until 2020 or later at this rate.

Take your time Shanahan, we've got another 48 years to wait for another cup win! :sarcasm:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i'm not so freaked by the non movement as i am that there was 0 chatter on those two from the pundits and they had practically 10 hrs of dead air to deal with lolz.

heck when Nash was on the blocks or even Bobby lou, it was all the rage to talk about them

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It was broadly speculated that the more expensive pieces would be easier to move during the summer since teams have much more cap room.

Some of you need to calm down a bit - it's going to take a long time to fix the mess Nonis and his band of merry men created

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
i'm not so freaked by the non movement as i am that there was 0 chatter on those two from the pundits and they had practically 10 hrs of dead air to deal with lolz.

heck when Nash was on the blocks or even Bobby lou, it was all the rage to talk about them

both the players you mentioned had requested trades, it was only a matter of time. Also nash had a very limited list of teams to be traded too.

neither kessel or phaneuf have said they want to leave, there is no drama there, this will happen when the value is right.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i don't see how it "all " happens at the draft or anything for that matter, the new cap is set after the draft.

.... isn't the cap announced at the Commissioner's address (which is game 1 of the SCF?) also - the league was telling the BOG's etc, to simply anticipate it being where it is. (I don't think it can drop, without seriously complications for a crap tonne of teams)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
both the players you mentioned had requested trades, it was only a matter of time. Also nash had a very limited list of teams to be traded too.

neither kessel or phaneuf have said they want to leave, there is no drama there, this will happen when the value is right.

you are correct, these two have not demanded trades but they are on a team that has announced it's in rebuild mode, they are the motivated seller here

i did not expect either to be traded but i sure did expect to hear some league chatter on those two.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
.... isn't the cap announced at the Commissioner's address (which is game 1 of the SCF?) also - the league was telling the BOG's etc, to simply anticipate it being where it is. (I don't think it can drop, without seriously complications for a crap tonne of teams)

the nhlpa does not vote on using the escalator till mid summer

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

it not dropping is not in the leagues hands this year, that how bad the CAD drop is

it's all up to the nhlpa vote on the 5% bump

they vote for yes to 5% we might see as high as 71.7 ish cap

a no vote and it drops to high 67/low 68m

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I'll buy that the Leafs are rebuilding when some of the core actually gets traded. Until then, I haven't seen much to make me believe that they are.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
Of course not! We really needed to acquire 2015 draft picks to accelerate the rebuild. Instead, we'll likely only see 2016, or 2017 draft picks and beyond, for our so-called premier players. I don't see us competing for the playoffs until 2020 or later at this rate.

Take your time Shanahan, we've got another 48 years to wait for another cup win! :sarcasm:

If we see any evidence to suggest that they are trying to accelerate anything I will be very worried. Trying to accelerate the process inevitably leads to either some success and just falling short as in 93-94 and the early 2000's or a complete screw up as per Burke.

If I see them taking their time and making reasoned decisions, even if it takes a long time, I will be ok with it. The Islanders are just now a decent team; how long ago was Tavares drafted? Same for Tampa; how long ago was Stamkos drafted?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The summer provides not only a cap overage allowance for teams but also the, time for them to adjust their own cap structures. Where the cap will be set is a factor but not the overriding one when ppl say these deals are best some at the summer.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

I'm glad we're not looking to accelerate. Patience is exactly what the organization needs even if the fans understandably don't have any

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kessel was never expected to go this deadline. He was always going to be a deadline move.

There was talk of Bozak. Was there a lot today? Not a whole lot, he was mentioned as someone the Leafs could move, but the discussions were around Phaneuf and Lupul because those two are bigger names than Tyler Bozak.

Like Dreger said, we could have moved Phaneuf today, and we had discussions about Lupul, but ultimatley, we will have more options, and better deals on the table this summer.

The only team on Phaneuf's list where a deal was possible at this point in time, was Detroit. We had one option.

Come the draft/summer, that will likely rise to 6/7, possibly more, of the 14 teams he is willing to go too.

Joffery Lupul, this summer, will be 100% healthy, which likely played a factor. Lupul himself said he wouldn't be 100% until the summer.
I was surprised that Bozak was not traded because starting next season he will only have 3 years left on his contract and his cap hit is $4.2 million. So compared to the talk about Phaneuf and Lupul, not trading Bozak was surprising based on that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the nhlpa does not vote on using the escalator till mid summer

it not dropping is not in the leagues hands this year, that how bad the CAD drop is

it's all up to the nhlpa vote on the 5% bump

they vote for yes to 5% we might see as high as 71.7 ish cap

a no vote and it drops to high 67/low 68m

thanks. i usually don't pay attention to timing i just know it's around that time. (so i figure the cap is where it is, or a miniscule bump).

i think the best bet to move some of our players is hoping a team completely gets flamed out in the playoffs, (that aren't fluky) and they need either scoring or a better defenseman or depth. then pounce. but again. - i think while everyone wants people gone - we can't just throw them away either. people would just as mad if we got virtually nothing, simply to go "core is gone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad