The Rebuild Started...

When did the rebuild start

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
When, in your opinion, did the rebuild start?

A refresher timeline:
2012: 111 points; Won President's Trophy; bounced in R1 by LAK
2013: 59 points (lockout year); won division; swept in R1 by SJS; Vigneault fired
2014: 83 points; missed playoffs; Luongo traded; Gillis fired; Tortorella fired; Kesler traded
2015: 101 points; bounced in R1 by CGY
2016: 75 points; missed playoffs
2017: 69 points (not nice); missed playoffs; Desjardins fired
2018: 73 points; missed playoffs; Sedins retired

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The rebuild started with Gillis in 2013 with Schneider for Horvat and Gillis trying to negotiate a deal with Kesler but being stubborn on the return.

The rebuild was halted until very recently. This was first evidenced by the Miller, Vrbata, Bonino, Vey, Clendening, Sutter, Gudbranson, etc. acquisitions and giving up more draft picks and prospects than we received.

The only aspects of a rebuild from the Benning era is unintentionally finishing bottom of the league while spending to the cap and receiving high picks as a result, as well as the Burrows/Hansen trades (but they weren't going to help us compete at this juncture anyways, so trading them was common sense).

If we were truly rebuilding, we would have acquired more draft picks/prospects and held on to players like Forsling and McCann.

I still don't think we are 'rebuilding' as Benning has consistently maintained that they want to compete every season and still gives up draft picks in trades (Pouliot) and competes in meaningless games where we win and it costs us Zadina.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
There was a good quote (I think by B. Burke) that essentially claimed that you need to be rising quickly, or falling quickly in the NHL cap era at all times if you're going for a cup. This makes sense to everyone, except Aquilini of course

It is just semantics for the most part but, you could say the rebuild started in 2012 or you could say there was a super long and easily predictable decline that was handled exactly like all the armchair fans didn't want it to be handled for the last 6 years (or for those that really loved the Sedins and were delusional 4 years) ... and then the rebuild started this season

What difference does it make?

Who knows what labels Linden and Aquilini use .....

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If we didn’t miss on the Virtanen and Juolevi picks we would be more on track.

Getting no picks for Hamhuis / Vrbata / Vanek set us back huge as well.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
JB has an inability to acquire draft picks. Rangers rebuilt in 1 year. 3 first round picks is how you do it.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe Aquilini truly thought we were "going for it" the last 4 years, and Benning is a genius has been purposefully sabotaging things with his trades and signings and trying to disguise the rebuild? If one had to operate under the parameters of "going for it" but knowing full well a rebuild was in the best instrest, the current GM could be seen as a hero.... that would be quite something

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Maybe Aquilini truly thought we were "going for it" the last 4 years, and Benning is a genius has been purposefully sabotaging things with his trades and signings and trying to disguise the rebuild? If one had to operate under the parameters of "going for it" but knowing full well a rebuild was in the best instrest, the current GM could be seen as a hero.... that would be quite something
Benning set this franchise back 10 years, that is not a disguised rebuild. Please never refer to him as a genius or hero again... :laugh:

There is no excuse for throwing away countless players/picks/prospects for crap, then greatly overpaying that crap, and letting good quality players walk for nothing just to replace them with more overpaid crap.

Reactions: PRNuck

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Benning set this franchise back 10 years, that is not a disguised rebuild. Please never refer to him as a genius or hero again... :laugh:

There is no excuse for throwing away countless players/picks/prospects for crap, then greatly overpaying that crap, and letting good quality players walk for nothing just to replace them with more overpaid crap.

I was cleaning out the closet this past weekend and found my old playoff towels from 2010/11. I silently wept. I know not when I will wave those again.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We just signed 2 guys aged 32 and 28 for culture to our team,
We have 3 guys who last year combined for 22 goals at the average age of 30 tied up for the next 4years at a cap hit of over 12 million dollars.
Please tell me how any of that is considered part of a rebuild.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If at all, the rebuild started when we traded Burrows and Hansen, got Dahlen, and drafted EP.

But it's probably true that a real rebuild has not yet started. We should be aggressively acquiring draft picks and prospects rather than signing vets to lengthy contracts.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
When, in your opinion, did the rebuild start?

A refresher timeline:
2012: 111 points; Won President's Trophy; bounced in R1 by LAK
2013: 59 points (lockout year); won division; swept in R1 by SJS; Vigneault fired
2014: 83 points; missed playoffs; Luongo traded; Gillis fired; Tortorella fired; Kesler traded
2015: 101 points; bounced in R1 by CGY
2016: 75 points; missed playoffs
2017: 69 points (not nice); missed playoffs; Desjardins fired
2018: 73 points; missed playoffs; Sedins retired
The "69 points (not nice)" made me lol :laugh:

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
2013 is the obvious answer. Traded NHL players (Schneider) for futures (9th overall pick). Again the next year with Kesler for 24th OV. Just because we have done a very very (very very very) poor job of rebuilding, doesn't mean it hasn't started since we began trading roster players for draft picks. Our one anomaly season where we made the playoffs and got a late pick we ended up with Boeser, so that helped our rebuild the most! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad