Post-Game Talk: The Rangers Win the League!!

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Fun fact!

Igor has been to this point in his career, better in the playoffs than Hank was.

Hank had some great runs, but nothing even close to what Igor gave the Rangers 2 years ago.

f*** I don't think Hank himself did what Igor did last year in a losing effort.
Hank put up a 1.82GAA and .931 SV% over 20 games in 2011 and followed that up with 2.14GAA and a .934 SV% over 12 games in 2014. Are Igor's advanced analytics that much higher than Hank's 2011 + 2012 season's?

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
That’s such nonsense it’s actually hilarious that you’d seriously believe that.

Guessing you missed Nashville vs. Pitt Cup Finals where the Predators scored first in I believe 3 games in a row, only to have all 3 overturned on what were described as "50/50" calls?

Or maybe dumbass Tim Peel getting caught on a hot mic proclaiming he "just wanted to call something on Nashville?"

Yes, hilarious that pro sports are influenced at all by marketing and narrative, and there is absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise... especially not when Vegas shows up gifted the best expansion franchise ever because the league needed them to be good immediately to attract those delicious gambling dollars you see advertised 45 times a game, so they changed the rules to ensure it.

Or Mario crying about relocating the Pens if things didn't break there way and suddenly winning the draft lottery for the best player in hockey between Mario and McDavid.

Nope, all on the up and up.

Unlike some, I take it for what it is: entertainment with the goal of advertising dollars and eyeballs. It's why I don't get wrapped up in Trophy curses, or lose my head over not being the greatest 5v5 analytics team in history. It's just a game chocked full of "narratives."

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hank put up a 1.82GAA and .931 SV% over 20 games in 2011 and followed that up with 2.14GAA and a .934 SV% over 12 games in 2014. Are Igor's advanced analytics that much higher than Hank's 2011 + 2012 season's?

Yes.

This isn’t even crapping on Hank who was the model of consistency and certainly deserved a cup. Igor has just been an insane playoff performer thus far in his career.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes. Igor had 23 goals saved above expected in 2022. Hank never had more than 11.

Hank was unbeatable in elimination games but he was more ordinary early in series. He had his meltdowns.

Igor, knock on wood, has only been lit up once.

His 2022 run was all-time great.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yes.

This isn’t even crapping on Hank who was the model of consistency and certainly deserved a cup. Igor has just been an insane playoff performer thus far in his career.
Not that I'm doubting you (maybe a little) but I need to see the advanced nerd stats to justify this claim lol!

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Unpopular opinion but the MFing crowd needs to shut up. Enough with the Igor's better chants, even if he is better. When the Pens crowd got in his head he imploded those two games, then more to do with our offense, but chanting "Igor's better" against TB blew up in our faces. The board has shown hubris this season, it's time the crowd does.

Save it for if we make it to the Cup against psycho Georgiev.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Well your av has been decided
A65BCF20-A08A-4004-900D-9706A967048D.jpeg
75F174A7-9719-4F95-B3A1-5E75723888B5.jpeg
5FABCFEE-D799-4C97-A3F5-F285CAC21C32.jpeg
46657539-8746-4E9C-9D40-3DFC0B9FFC6C.jpeg

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don’t.

Igor won 2 series while under siege. There was more to it than that for sure, but generally when the rangers got their teeth kicked in with Hank in net, they weren’t winning the series (even if he was good.)

Let alone 2.

I think Igor’s 8.8 gsaa in 7 games would have been hanks 3rd best mark overall behind his 2014 and 2015 runs.

Igor’s 2022 run blows away anything Hank did. I don’t think the gravity of how good he was during that run is really understood.

I'll put Hank 2011-2015 against anything Igor has ever accomplished in the playoffs so far and feel pretty comfortable he's on par at the very least. He played behind teams that simply couldn't score.

Hank was constantly under seige and his game 7 record is nuts. He faced less shots but those teams blocked a lot and how many goals went off Staal and Girardi past Hank? To the point where Hank got frustrated by it, that's how many.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fun fact!

Igor has been to this point in his career, better in the playoffs than Hank was.

Hank had some great runs, but nothing even close to what Igor gave the Rangers 2 years ago.

f*** I don't think Hank himself did what Igor did last year in a losing effort.

Hank is the Game 7 GOAT but inconsistent by his standards in the playoffs otherwise. Outside of 2014. Every other year he'd have a series he'd like to forget. Even in 2014 there was a game against Montreal that was a nightmare.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Washington is 3-5-2 in their last 10

-11 in goals.

They’ve only scored more than 2 goals once over that span

Score 3 against this team and its most likely a W

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I've been thinking about how, for many, as outstanding as the season has been (and as a Ranger fan for 60+ years this has most certainly been among the best I can remember), it just doesn't feel that great. I remember one post, here or on another board, where someone said, "We have the best record in the league...too bad we stink." These reactions are certainly the result of social media....by nature a negative platform. I think that if the boards were active in say 1972 (that team went to the SC finals) there would have been much criticism. I can imagine the negative reactions even to 1994 when we went through a few rough patches. Negative reactions, as justified as many are, tend to cloud out and obscure all the positives. I'm kind of upset myself for not feeling better about this team than I should. This has been an outstanding season. You don't win the President's Trophy, have as great a record as we do, by accident. We should always remember how great this team has been and how much joy they have brought us, over and over during the year. Yes, some players deserve the criticism they have received. Yes, at times this team has driven us to distraction. But overall? We should appreciate all the pleasure this team has brought us this year. I don't know what the playoffs will bring. There are so many really good teams this year capable of winning the Cup. When people ask me about the Rangers and whether they will win the Cup, I say, that certainly they can win the Cup...but do I expect them to? No. So much as to go right...and hopefully it will. But no matter what happens, this team will always hold a special place in my heart...among the best Ranger teams I have had the pleasure of rooting for in those 60+ years. As someone who saw the Rangers play during the Original Six in the old Garden, I am trying to keep negative feelings down, and just enjoy and appreciate what we have seen since last October.
Interesting I feel similar... maybe because i was so overconfident in last years team and we lost in the first round in heartbreaking fashion
i also have gotten a little tired of Joe complaining all game long that players dont shoot, easy plays were available, etc. it seems like he is way more interested in the flaws this year and is constantly nagging about them that i forget we're #1 in the league. Lol

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Rewatching the game on the Sens broadcast. On the PP when Joe and half this board was apoplectic that Zib didn’t shoot, this is how a real broadcast sounds….

“Panarin one timer, didn’t miss by much. Zibanejad, resetting. Panarin, Zibanejad, PANARIN. Korpisalo was way out on the glove side, that could have been a tap in for Panarin but he couldn’t handle it.”

Instead we get jokers who don’t know the new meta and are rotting this fanbase. But also they are irreplaceable cause the replacement candidates are worse.
Because Mika has had a down year and has, at times, tried passing through too many players and sticks, the assumption now is that whenever he within 20 feet of the net he needs to attempt a shot. If you’d see Laf, Panarin, CK etc. make the same pass Joe would likely have mentioned ‘he had an open net if he could have juuuuust handled that pass cleanly’, but it was Zib so MUST SHOOT MORE

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Because Mika has had a down year and has, at times, tried passing through too many players and sticks, the assumption now is that whenever he within 20 feet of the net he needs to attempt a shot. If you’d see Laf, Panarin, CK etc. make the same pass Joe would likely have mentioned ‘he had an open net if he could have juuuuust handled that pass cleanly’, but it was Zib so MUST SHOOT MORE

It was pretty brutal and you can see Panarin not even expecting a pass back because it was so bad. Reminded me of this gem from earlier this year where again Panarin isn’t even expecting a pass back through traffic and is visibly frustrated. If Zib doesn’t want to try to pick the short side after that seam pass idk what the point of having him out there is. The power play is playing on hard mode for no reason but they’re that good that it still works. They won’t get away with just lobbing it at Kreider for 16 playoff wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirGut

huerter

Aug 16, 2020

It was pretty brutal and you can see Panarin not even expecting a pass back because it was so bad. Reminded me of this gem from earlier this year where again Panarin isn’t even expecting a pass back through traffic and is visibly frustrated. If Zib doesn’t want to try to pick the short side after that seam pass idk what the point of having him out there is. The power play is playing on hard mode for no reason but they’re that good that it still works. They won’t get away with just lobbing it at Kreider for 16 playoff wins.

Attachments

• E4611B4B-8492-4A2D-B4D2-DBCE879E141A.png
    E4611B4B-8492-4A2D-B4D2-DBCE879E141A.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad