The "Rags"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Rongos is dumb. I just ignore it, honestly.

I never understood that meme or its appeal. I don't get it. It's not funny and it's weird. I tried to read it once and I was like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS GUY IS SAYING." I don't know, not my thing.

ilezia

Apr 13, 2010
To be honest I couldn't care less. I think most people are overreacting big time to rags as somehow offensive. I'm pretty sure 95% of people on these boards using rags uses it like they would use pens or isles. As someone said it's simply a comfortable way of shortening rangers to something easy to say.

And besides, who uses 'on the rag' anyway? Is this commonly used in America? In British English it definitely isn't used. I mean, it's not 1910 anymore is it?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I could give 3 ***** about the term Rags, it's not even funny. Why would something so meh bother me? Equally as dumb are Debs, Scabs and really 99.9% of the names people think insult other teams.
I am sorry but anyone that gets pissed at seeing the term "Rags" needs psychiatric help. The reason you should get upset, even mildly, is because it isn't creative in the least.

I think names like "the Fish sticks" or the "Complaneans" are funny if only because they're at least mildly creative. Even then I don't use them very much if at all.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Welp.....hopefully tonight we turn from Rags to riches. LGR!!! :yo:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Inconsistent rule enforcement pisses me off. A jab from one sports fan to another using nothing more than a name doesn't matter in the least. A jab involving something like 54 years without a cup...an argument based on pure homerism and stupidity... incorrect generalizations about players abilities or personalities...now those bother me

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Inconsistent rule enforcement pisses me off. A jab from one sports fan to another using nothing more than a name doesn't matter in the least. A jab involving something like 54 years without a cup...an argument based on pure homerism and stupidity... incorrect generalizations about players abilities or personalities...now those bother me

Oh yes, nothing like a little willful ignorance and/or Pejorative Sluration to get me going. But the term "Rags" gtfo, never.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Rags? Haven't heard that in sometime, but who cares? People were saying Debbies as the Devils won cups. Rangers fans say "Potvin Sucks" when he was actually pretty darn good. All that counts is the results on the ice.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
To be fair, it all depends on the motive, how it's said. I don't have a problem with the word "Rags" in particular, unless it's meant as an insult. Which you can always easily see when reading the context.

The "Rongos" thing is just plain stupid. It's like little kids trying to make this new word/style popular but it's just ridiculous.

JeremyNYR

Feb 1, 2012
I never heard the term until I started frequenting this board, and getting offended by what another team's fans call the team you root for would be pretty lame. As a fan of comedy, I'm disappointed that nobody's come up with something funnier and more hurtful!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Kreiderman...

even if meant as an insult, why would you care much, especially on a message board from a person who for all you know is 12 years old? Personally, I just ignore people trying to get a rise out of me. Guess I'm just too old for that crap.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=rag
Could it by any chance have an origin from definition 2. # 4 above? Probably not, but I'm ok with people calling NYR the team that is known for outmanouvering the opposition and takes control of the puck. That's Rags. We can assume it's an honorary word and these ignorants will stop using it when they finally figure it out. It's the only definintion that has any relevance to hockey or NY anyhow.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
How do you feel about other fan bases calling the Rangers the "Rags"?

To be honest I want to say I don't care, but it is derogetory and if for example I went around constantly calling Philly "philthy" every time on main forums I would eventually get an infraction in all likelihood. So I guess the double standard aspect is what irks me more than anything else.

It also seems that a fair amount of other fans who call the Rangers the "Rags" genuinely don't understand that it's derogatory and that literally no Rangers fan ever refers to them as such.

I guess its really not a big deal, it's just a bit annoying between the double standard factor and the lack of people knowing it's not what we refer the team as.

Semi-rant over. :nod:

Pretty much where you stand - I wouldn't so much care except when you go talking about the debbies or fish sticks they slap you with an infraction yet somehow it's ok to say "rags". So just on that principle, I flag an alert on whatever post where the guy is trying to take a shot at the Rangers with that lame nickname

On the flip side, for some reason I'm starting to take a liking to Rongos lol

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Its used as a pejorative term intent on provoking an inflammatory response. Just like Debbies and Fishsticks. It won't go away unless Mods see it as this and crack down.

LORENZO

Jan 1, 2014
It bothers me and i don't think it should be allowed on the main boards, unless we can call the Canadiens the "frogs" for example?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I think it's ****ing stupid how "Rags" is used in literally every other section of this site and no one does anything and it's somehow a "funny haha" joke, but lord forbid we use "Philthy" or "Debbies" or "Piles," then it's deleted posts and warnings.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I've corrected people in real life who have used Rags merely as a short-hand, unaware that it comes with a negative connotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad