The "Rags"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
How do you feel about other fan bases calling the Rangers the "Rags"?

To be honest I want to say I don't care, but it is derogetory and if for example I went around constantly calling Philly "philthy" every time on main forums I would eventually get an infraction in all likelihood. So I guess the double standard aspect is what irks me more than anything else.

It also seems that a fair amount of other fans who call the Rangers the "Rags" genuinely don't understand that it's derogatory and that literally no Rangers fan ever refers to them as such.

I guess its really not a big deal, it's just a bit annoying between the double standard factor and the lack of people knowing it's not what we refer the team as.

Semi-rant over. :nod:

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Eh, I'm not a fan. People use it to mean negative things about us. It's rarely used to shorten Rangers, so it's not like Pens, Isles, because at least those make sense.

At the same time, I'm like you in the fact that it's not a big deal.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Let's make it OUR word.

Also, never got the back story to rongos. Anyone care to help?

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Never go full Rongo.

Last night they were the Rongos.

Is that a Tropic Thunder reference where someone decided to to use rongo as a placeholder for "Pejorative Slur"? So now this board uses rongo as a proxy for mentally handicapped? If so, that's in extremely poor taste.

Cake or Death

Most people use it because they're too lazy to type out Rangers so I really don't care.

Agree. My buddy is a long time Kings fan, who really loves our team this season, and he uses 'rags' in texts to me. This doesn't affect me... having grown up in NYC I'm already used to NY stereotypes everywhere I go.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Is that a Tropic Thunder reference where someone decided to to use rongo as a placeholder for "Pejorative Slur"? So now this board uses rongo as a proxy for mentally handicapped? If so, that's in extremely poor taste.

No, the "rongos" meme originated from the "dolan" meme. I never understood the connection other than it spilling over after hitting big on social media sites

Know your meme explaination

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
A bud of mine, who I also work with, who is also a Habs fan only calls the Rangers the "Rags"

To here it vocal elevates it beyond seeing it typed.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Agree. My buddy is a long time Kings fan, who really loves our team this season, and he uses 'rags' in texts to me. This doesn't affect me... having grown up in NYC I'm already used to NY stereotypes everywhere I go.

What does "Rags" mean, though? That's what I don't understand... like... how is it negative or stereotypical in any way?

Does it have to do with a woman's menstruation period? LOL that's the only thing I can think of.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Habs fan here. And yes, I do try to avoid derogatory terms whenever possible.

That being said, it's strange but "Rags" sounds less offensive than "Booins" or "Scabs".

I mean, if your team's nickname relate to a bloody and agressive time, you should be all for it! :handclap:

And then we wonder why there are so few ladies around here... :laugh:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

No, it is just used when they have one of those inexplicably bad out of character games. Usually a let down type of game. Has nothing to do with mental handicap. We're not animals.

Cake or Death

What does "Rags" mean, though? That's what I don't understand... like... how is it negative or stereotypical in any way?

Does it have to do with a woman's menstruation period? LOL that's the only thing I can think of.

Not sure, never really thought about it. I mean when you think about it, what the hell is a Ranger? I can't do this... I lost enough of my childhood trying to figure out what a Met and Knick were

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey

It implies poverty. Like the term "Rags to riches." Obviously the Rangers are not a poor team, but the connotation associated the term "Rags" is nonetheless negative. At least in my personal opinion.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It implies poverty. Like the term "Rags to riches." Obviously the Rangers are not a poor team, but the connotation associated the term "Rags" is nonetheless negative. At least in my personal opinion.

Yeah, doesn't really bother me. I used to think it had to do with a different kind of rag.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Who cares? It's the abbreviation that sounds the best out of any I can think of. I mean, who wants to call them the "Rangs" or the "gers?"

People abbreviate things that probably shouldn't be abbreviated (Such as "delish" or "bee tee dubs"). It can be annoying, but I don't really care what abbreviation they use, or why.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Who cares? It's the abbreviation that sounds the best out of any I can think of. I mean, who wants to call them the "Rangs" or the "gers?"

People abbreviate things that probably shouldn't be abbreviated (Such as "delish" or "bee tee dubs"). It can be annoying, but I don't really care what abbreviation they use, or why.

NYR is even easier to type out than 'RAGS'....

More non-fans using 'Rags' now because it's becoming more commonplace with its usage....

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
NYR is even easier to type out than 'RAGS'....

More non-fans using 'Rags' now because it's becoming more commonplace with its usage....

This! People are ridiculous to think
"Rags" has any other meaning than negative. If you really want to know the meaning then take a stroll over to the Devils board. I'm sure it's meaning varies to some but with many family and friends that are Devils and Islanders fans, the consensus is that it refers to an implement used during a woman's menstrual cycle!

Like Wolfgaze stated aboved, the easiest and fastest way to shorten The New York Rangers is NYR, period!

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Rags would offend me, but every time I see Rongos I do lirl. How did that start? Kind of like Byron Boy or whatever people were saying to make fun of Emrick's pronunciation.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Honestly, someone posted it above. It hasn't been addressed yet, but we call the Devils the Debbies. I don't care what other teams' fans call us, although I do agree that it is meant to be negative. Most of my Islander fan friends call the Rangers "The Rags" and not a single one of my Ranger fan friends calls us the Rags.

It is different than Pens. A lot of Penguins fans will call the Penguins the "Pens" and there is not a single derogatory notion from that (my sister calls them the "Gwins"). I do find it to be derogatory when people say "Rags," but in the end, I just don't care.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I believe there are some people that really use just "Rags" as the diminutive for Rangers and don't mean it in any type of derogatory sense. However, I think the majority of people, particularly fans of other Patrick/Atlantic/Metro division teams, know damn well that it annoys many Rangers fans and use it gleefully to taunt and troll.

It doesn't bother me per se. It's just standard verbal jousting between fan bases. I'm a little bothered that there's a bit of a double standard when it comes to the term being used on HF, but that's an entirely different thing that I don't want to get into. :laugh:

Rongos is absolutely ridiculous, though I know my disdain for the term is part of the reason why some people here love to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad