The "Rags"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I've corrected people in real life who have used Rags merely as a short-hand, unaware that it comes with a negative connotation.

It definitely was created with a woman's menstrual cycle in mind. That's the only logical explanation why this slur would persist.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It definitely was created with a woman's menstrual cycle in mind. That's the only logical explanation why this slur would persist.

Not everybody knows the saying "being on the rag", so if it's not that then people just use it to mean a tattered rag. Either way it's trying to take a shot at the team & fanbase

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Doesn't bother me at all. I understand why other people use it, whether it be derogatory or to shorten the name.

I would prefer we get rid of the "Potvin Sucks" chant first.

Apr 10, 2012
If I report every time Rag is used on the main board will it be removed?

usually it'll be removed, but it's a waste of time because somebody else will say it 5 posts later. we're the entitled bad guys on hf.

rags doesn't bother me at all...

bothers me when people defend montreal by saying every team dives after that game 4 broadway performance--

--and the stubborn habs fans that still say kreider intentionally ran price piss me off more than anything this series.

as a whole the habs fans haven't been horrible though. it's like the same 3-5 posters that realize they're going to lose and want to cling to something as an excuse for their terrible play and our better play in games 1-4.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Did not used to care honestly, but the more I've seen it used, and the way it's been used, has begun to annoy the hell out of me.

It had been explained to me that the term originated from a part of the fan base that worked in the garment district, were very loyal and attended many games together.

The way I've seen it used by members of other fan bases is most certainly derogatory...so yeah I hate it. Blueshirts, Rangers....even Rongos is way more preferable.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't like this team being known to by a name that implies at best tattered cloth used to wash dishes or at worst a menstrual response device.

Just because people throw the name around, and don't know the words origins, doesn't mean its nice.

Although this following point is on a greater scale, go to a reservation in Maryland or Delaware, and ask them for their opinion on the Redskins.

LORENZO

Jan 1, 2014
Nah, they only use that term in the UK. I take it from the St. George's cross on your avatar you're from England?

We typically say "boys" over here.

Yeah from The north east of England, maybe "carcillos boys" could work?

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Not sure, never really thought about it. I mean when you think about it, what the hell is a Ranger? I can't do this... I lost enough of my childhood trying to figure out what a Met and Knick were

The nickname of George Lewis aka Tex Rickard (Tex's Rangers). Who was the founder of the New York Rangers.

He was awarded an NHL franchise in 1926.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Most people don't know "Rags" is derogatory. They say it in the same way people would say "Pens" or "Caps" and whatnot. That's why it's allowed on any forum but this one. "Rag$" is trolling and is always handled with on the Main Board and also here.

This has been discussed numerous times between moderators and "Rags" should not result in any moderation on the Main Board or on any neutral forum, so please stop reporting it unless it's on this forum.

If there are any questions, PM one of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad