The Race for the Calder Trophy

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
How did he do that when Chicago didn’t score a goal?

What are you talking about? The post I responded to said that he’s only good at scoring. I pointed out that he has more assists this year than goals - he’s actually an extremely good playmaker. But I’m sorry he didn’t get any points in this one game sample size 🤣

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What are you talking about? The post I responded to said that he’s only good at scoring. I pointed out that he has more assists this year than goals - he’s actually an extremely good playmaker. But I’m sorry he didn’t get any points in this one game sample size 🤣
I believe they meant “score” as in “score points.” You know, generating offense resulting in a goal…

The insinuation is that Bedard cheats defense to provide offense. It was pointed out that he didn’t have a goal against today, but he also didn’t provide any offensive scoring either (i.e. when he’s not cheating defense, then he’s not providing offense).

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I believe they meant “score” as in “score points.” You know, generating offense resulting in a goal…

The insinuation is that Bedard cheats defense to provide offense. It was pointed out that he didn’t have a goal against today, but he also didn’t provide any offensive scoring either (i.e. when he’s not cheating defense, then he’s not providing offense).

So now the narrative by a select few here is that Bedard only gets points when he cheats defensively?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Let’s be honest here, with the rookie crop this year and the insane scoring increase, the rookies have been largely underwhelming
The league being high scoring doesn’t really make the bad teams high scoring. Just means they get scored on more. Hawks are scoring 2.19 per game.

Reactions: AzHawk

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Let’s be honest here, with the rookie crop this year and the insane scoring increase, the rookies have been largely underwhelming
They've definitely been underwhelming. Bedard is out for 6 weeks and he's still gonna easily win the Calder.

Reactions: Fraser28

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

I would agree with that. I expected better out of pretty much all the rookies. Maybe not a fair expectation, but that’s how good I felt this crop is. I think Fantilli and Carlsson in particular fell below. For a variety of reasons including injury, deployment, and just not being quite ready to take center stage yet.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would agree with that. I expected better out of pretty much all the rookies. Maybe not a fair expectation, but that’s how good I felt this crop is. I think Fantilli and Carlsson in particular fell below. For a variety of reasons including injury, deployment, and just not being quite ready to take center stage yet.
Unfortunately, a lot of the top rookie forwards have been plagued by injury, including the top 3 picks from last year. Cooley has been pretty impressive, especially in the last few months - he hasn't always gotten the most consistent deployments and has been asked to focus more on the defensive side of the game, but he's starting to heat up.

But it's been a pretty strong year for rookie defenseman. I've been pretty impressed by Faber and Hughes. They've both put together Calder worthy seasons IMO. Minty, Nemec, and Vlasic have also been pretty impressive.

I think scoring increases don't typically give as much of a boost to guys lower in the lineup. That benefit tends to disproportionately go to guys with top line and PP1 deployments, which most rookies don't usually get. Bedard and Hughes are really the only guys who probably really fit that description.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Unfortunately, a lot of the top rookie forwards have been plagued by injury, including the top 3 picks from last year. Cooley has been pretty impressive, especially in the last few months - he hasn't always gotten the most consistent deployments and has been asked to focus more on the defensive side of the game, but he's starting to heat up.

But it's been a pretty strong year for rookie defenseman. I've been pretty impressed by Faber and Hughes. They've both put together Calder worthy seasons IMO. Minty, Nemec, and Vlasic have also been pretty impressive.

I think scoring increases don't typically give as much of a boost to guys lower in the lineup. That benefit tends to disproportionately go to guys with top line and PP1 deployments, which most rookies don't usually get. Bedard and Hughes are really the only guys who probably really fit that description.
Faber too, in the last 2 or 3 months. Not so much before that.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Take scoring out of the equation, what areas of the game is Bedard better than Faber at this season?
What impeccable logic I think nearly all defenseman are better than all the top forwards thanks to this amazing logic.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Same people said O' Reily was terrible on the Sabres defensively when in reality if you play on a garbage team your advanced stats will also be garbage it isn't rocket science.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not really much of a race.

Bedard will win by a lot and should win unanimously. Faber is a distant second (no shade on him, he's had a great year.)

No one else really deserves mention.

Reactions: ViD

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
1712583607150.png

This is his most common line mate this year. This is his card from last year.

The offense he’s generated this year is remarkable.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sure, if points is the only metric you care about.

See the Kurashev graphic from above - If we're sticking to just points:

Kurashev's season-by-season points: 16, 21, 25, 51 (and counting).
Hmm, wonder what changed this year?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
You don't need advanced stats to see that Bedard is a huge defensive liability. Just takes two eyeballs. There's a reason they've moved him to wing recently.
The main reason he is playing wing is faceoffs....pretty much all rookies struggle with faceoffs coming into this league, especially 18 year olds. At some point, if you want the guy to be a center, he's gotta get the reps though....it was no different for Crosby....he played a lot of his rookie year at Wing....I shouldn't say a lot, I have no real stats here, but I know he played a wing during the first part of the season before becoming full time center at some point throuhgout the year. Not sure if Bedard's injury sidetracked progress in that area at all.

Overall responsibility and defensive game is another thing and guys need time for sure....but I think it's the faceoffs that moved him ore than anything.

None of this to defend his play on the D side....he hasn't been great and I never expected him to be, nor did anyone else I'd guess, so nothing really to see there.

Reactions: AzHawk

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
What impeccable logic I think nearly all defenseman are better than all the top forwards thanks to this amazing logic.

Tell me you didn't read the thread without telling me.

The post you quoted was a response to some hawks fan making an absurd comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad