Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Oh I know. I was just being an ass.

I think they try to re-sign whoever they view as being part of the long term plan and maybe do some tinkering.

I don't think tinkering is the only thing they should do- adding a vet like Boyle is a solid move.

I feel like Pelech has turned the corner a bit in the last 10 games (feeling less pressure to land someone like Muzzin, especially with The emergence of Toews) and Nelson has done the job in the 2C for now (willing to let it play out), the goalies have been great. The one area I think they need to address is the PP.

If they could add something significant, then that would be the piece to go for-

Going BIG-
Earlier in the season, there were rumblings that Tarasenko was available -

A Left handed shot who would replace Nelson on the RW side of the PP. Tarasenko is signed for the next 4 seasons at 7.5m - Start with a package Wahlstrom and #1, one of the AHL D men (Aho or Vande Sompel), ++ (Eberle assets?). This move also helps the second unit - sliding Nelson with Bailey, Pulock, Toews, & Beauvillier.

Unlikely option - Panarin
Very unlikely this happens- Columbus would have to go on a bad stretch and even then another team would have to be involved, and there would have to be gurantees that he would resign, But Panarin seems like Lou's #1 offseason target.

Mid-range option - Mike Hoffman
Excellent PP player- I wonder if Florida cashes in - have to be a 3 team deal where Eberle goes to a contender and then those pieces go to Florida as well as pieces added from Isles.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
It goes without saying, as we've said it a million times, but this is where the Ladd and Boychuk contracts kill us... I still don't mind the Leddy deal as much as most, since he's only like 27, but giving 30+ year old dudes deals for 5+ mil a year each and having them be damn near 40 at the end of the contract is ridiculous.
Johnny Boychuk's contract is just fine, thanks. He gave(and continues to give) our d corps swagger, and is probably one of Trotz' 5 favorite players.
Andrew Ladd was toast when he signed here, the game has gotten too fast for him.

Reactions: Finnislander

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Didn't know where to post this but James Duff on Twitter is saying league is going to let the Isles play a potential first playoff round at the Coliseum. Any other round has to be at the Yormark Hellhole. Ownership apparently fought like hell for this. Big takeaway: the owners are willing to pass up a quick buck for the team's long term benefit. That fact should fill everyone here with pure unadulturated joy because it proves the fans of this team finally have the type of ownership they absolutely deserve.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Didn't know where to post this but James Duff on Twitter is saying league is going to let the Isles play a potential first playoff round at the Coliseum. Any other round has to be at the Yormark Hellhole. Ownership apparently fought like hell for this. Big takeaway: the owners are willing to pass up a quick buck for the team's long term benefit. That fact should fill everyone here with pure unadulturated joy because it proves the fans of this team finally have the type of ownership they absolutely deserve.
Thanks for sharing but a couple of questions...

Since the Islanders are a tenant in BOTH buildings, isn't BSE the one making this decision? How/why are Ledecky/Malkin "fighting like hell" and with whom? Why would the NHL have to "allow " this?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Since the Islanders are a tenant in BOTH buildings, isn't BSE the one making this decision? How/why are Ledecky/Malkin "fighting like hell" and with whom? Why would the NHL have to "allow " this?
The league wants the games at Barclays because of greater capacity and suite revenue. The owners want to pass on the quick buck and do right by the team and fans. Unfortunately this is why the league is going to force the team to play games at Barclays next season instead of doing what makes sense in the long term and having all the games in Nassau.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If VGK could go all the way to the cup last year, what's to say we can't?

We are playing a similar team game, as they did, but have higher end talent and a better coach IMO

Reactions: dood

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

As far as I know this hasn't been confirmed - can anyone tell me who "James Duff" is and if he is credible?

Also, I don't really understand the idea that the Islanders would have to "fight." Considering ownership is working on a new arena, I really can't see the NHL declining the organization's choice on where to play.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If VGK could go all the way to the cup last year, what's to say we can't?

We are playing a similar team game, as they did, but have higher end talent and a better coach IMO
It would cause too much confusion for the islander fans who want to sell the free agents lose a few years, draft the next tavares and potvin,,and become great by the time Barzal is 29.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Maybe they will clinch the playoffs before the trade deadline and do both, make the playoffs and trade six guys

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
This team really gets up for big games. They know that they can play with anyone now. Playing with more confidence and composure than I've seen in decades.

Great mix of 7 young players along with a bunch of guys that have been here for a while now.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
This team really gets up for big games. They know that they can play with anyone now. Playing with more confidence and composure than I've seen in decades.

Great mix of 7 young players along with a bunch of guys that have been here for a while now.
valid point. having this many, while simultaneously accomplishing what we have, is quite a feather in our cap.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It's a tremendous mix. No pressure on Beau and Barzal to carry yet they come up big on their own. Bails, Lee and Nelson are just great top 6 guys who get it done and are consistent in their game. Nelson overcame a big problem so far this year.

Love that from Barzal to Toews these guys are being put into positions to succeed while the team is succeeding.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Imagine getting a 1st round matchup with the Laffs after taking 1st place in the Metro and having them fall to WC1 :laugh:

I pray this happens. I would love nothing more to punt that team, that f***ing soulless robot, and their fans out of the dance.

We have none of the pressure which makes everything so much sweeter.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
After the win vs Anaheim today, if we go NHL .500 the rest of the way we will be at 96 pts.. Amazing.

I will be conservative on this and still want to make sure we are in the playoffs for sure before we think of division. I will get greedy if this keep up but for now as long as we are WC1 or better (to avoid TBL) I will feel good with any first round matchup with this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI and impaaaaaact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad