Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
We also have NJ/Ducks/Hawks coming up and a 4 game stretch of Philly/Ott/Ott/Philly which is awesome. A playoff bound team needs to take all of those points right there. Our schedule is pretty easy going forward compared to most of the league. No reason why we shouldn't win all 7 of those games.

I don't know but I never underestimate one NHL team. All great players and bounces happen..

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Just want to remind everyone, not that it needs reminding, how major of a storyline this team would be if their name was the Oilers, Senators, Canucks. Hell even the Coyotes.

Hope the guys in the room ar eletting that fuel them. Hope it's fueling my fellow fans as well. If this is the most excited you've been about the team in over a decade, you're right to be. Isles have played at a 110 point pace since their 3-4-1 start. It only helps us if nobody else is noticing.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think we can safely make the assumption that they are a playoff team. Where they go from there is the question.

Does Lou stay the course and is next year the big breakout year

or

Do they go for it, especially since they are pretty even with all the teams excluding Tampa, and in a 7 game series they definitely have the ability to upset them.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Just want to remind everyone, not that it needs reminding, how major of a storyline this team would be if their name was the Oilers, Senators, Canucks. Hell even the Coyotes.

Hope the guys in the room ar eletting that fuel them. Hope it's fueling my fellow fans as well. If this is the most excited you've been about the team in over a decade, you're right to be. Isles have played at a 110 point pace since their 3-4-1 start. It only helps us if nobody else is noticing.

In Canada sure. Although I disagree about the Coyotes. Why would they be more of a storyline than the Islanders?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think we can safely make the assumption that they are a playoff team. Where they go from there is the question.

or

Do they go for it, especially since they are pretty even with all the teams excluding Tampa, and in a 7 game series they definitely have the ability to upset them.
I think the prudent thing would be to trade Lee, Eberle and Nelson right now. :sarcasm:

Reactions: impaaaaaact and SI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

or

They're not going for it. It'd be a huge mistake and would set the franchise back further.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

or

I’m still not at this point yet but that’s likely just because I’m an Islanders fan.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I wonder who we remove from the lineup at this point? I mean what line do you break up? The chemistry is working on all 4 lines for once. Such a weird season for this to happen.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think the prudent thing would be to trade Lee, Eberle and Nelson right now. :sarcasm:

lol, I'm not insinuating to dump them. Is this a team where they make sure they re-sign who they have and go into the playoffs with the same group or tinker somewhat.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

or

You don't "go for it" if that means taking back an expensive rent-a-player for our defense prospects. You maybe add a guy like Brian Boyle and let this roster go as far as it can.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
lol, I'm not insinuating to dump them. Is this a team where they make sure they re-sign who they have and go into the playoffs with the same group or tinker somewhat.
Oh I know. I was just being an ass.

I think they try to re-sign whoever they view as being part of the long term plan and maybe do some tinkering.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Oh I know. I was just being an ass.

I think they try to re-sign whoever they view as being part of the long term plan and maybe do some tinkering.

One thing that makes me nervous is that after this year there are not many contracts coming off the books the next(Martin/Greiss). They need to make sure they have probably about 11.5 in cap space allocated for Barzal.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Also, looking well ahead here, April 1st could be a big game standings wise for personal grudges.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
One thing that makes me nervous is that after this year there are not many contracts coming off the books the next(Martin/Greiss). They need to make sure they have probably about 11.5 in cap space allocated for Barzal.
It goes without saying, as we've said it a million times, but this is where the Ladd and Boychuk contracts kill us... I still don't mind the Leddy deal as much as most, since he's only like 27, but giving 30+ year old dudes deals for 5+ mil a year each and having them be damn near 40 at the end of the contract is ridiculous.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

That is after 2019/20 season - I believe they could get free from the Ladd contract after july 1 2020- once that signing bonus has been paid any team looking to get to the cap floor - Ladd would be an attractive piece.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It goes without saying, as we've said it a million times, but this is where the Ladd and Boychuk contracts kill us... I still don't mind the Leddy deal as much as most, since he's only like 27, but giving 30+ year old dudes deals for 5+ mil a year each and having them be damn near 40 at the end of the contract is ridiculous.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't sometimes...

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I wonder who we remove from the lineup at this point? I mean what line do you break up? The chemistry is working on all 4 lines for once. Such a weird season for this to happen.

Islanders fan-
One line with chemistry: "Yup, this is about right."
Two lines with chemistry: "Hey, we might be onto something here."
Three lines with chemistry: "We might win the *Stanley Cup!"
Four lines with chemistry: "The apocalypse is near."

*Rangers games

Reactions: Instant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad