The Quick Fix (1 year Rebuild)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is a mediocre stay at home #4. He hasn't been great and he is trending towards bad stay at home #4 the last two years.

Pretty much, yup. Mediocre or decent second pairing guy. He better get stronger this summer, or figure out a way to win battles in the corners and in front of the net.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's fine as a 4 if your top 3 dmen are great. Or top 2 anyway. Hjalmarsson only gets 26 points and hes the hawks number 3? Yeah Danny d is fine as a 4 no way he's "mediocre"
People forget what a massive difference it made to our team when Dekeyser stepped in on the 2nd pairing back when Kronwall still played like #1D. It's amazing how quickly people lose their perspective on players when the team struggles.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
People forget what a massive difference it made to our team when Dekeyser stepped in on the 2nd pairing back when Kronwall still played like #1D. It's amazing how quickly people lose their perspective on players when the team struggles.

Also when they demand and get paid top dollar, expectations rise alongside bank account

As they should

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Meh, it was nice to think we finally had a solution on D but it was short lived. The team needs a talent that can stand out and carry the load. Not someone that fades as the real talent gets older.

Tatar, Nyquist, Dekyser, Mrazek, Larkin have all shown flashes of brilliance but I think the future has dimmed with all of them showing signs that they can't carry the load. Not that they can't take a leap in their development but its not a good sign. They could all be good complementary players and have proven it. But the team needs certified elite talent at all positions. In summary a one year rebuild is not possible. Just see Brain Burke Toronto if you want to see how it will go.

I doubt Tatar, Nyquist take a jump in development, its easy to forget how old they are because they had to wait the requisite 6 years before their wavier eligibility changed.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Isn't the team struggling because players like Dekeyser are struggling? Isn't it all related?

Also, the longer you play in the league the more teams scout you and figure out how to exploit you. I'm sure as a relatively unknown, Dekeyser probably came into the league flying under the radar a bit.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Also when they demand and get paid top dollar, expectations rise alongside bank account

As they should

Nikita Zaitsev just got 7 years 4.5 million after a single okay rookie season. DDK in his 24 year old season had 5 less points and was +33 better.

It's what middle pairing defenders cost.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Fair enough but the regression makes it yet another bad contract to put in a stack of bad contracts.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nikita Zaitsev just got 7 years 4.5 million after a single okay rookie season. DDK in his 24 year old season had 5 less points and was +33 better.

It's what middle pairing defenders cost.

And if zaitsev fails to improve or worse becomes worse and fails to deliver on that contract he will be criticized as he should.

It's why people are blaming ovechkin not Tim Wilson or shatenkirk not schmidt right now

Live up to what expectations you asked for.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And if zaitsev fails to improve or worse becomes worse and fails to deliver on that contract he will be criticized as he should.

It's why people are blaming ovechkin not Tim Wilson or shatenkirk not schmidt right now

Look out for Serpico, any player from a Glendening to a Toews is going to get flak for seemingly not playing up to their price tag. Danny Dekeyser got the same contract Zaitsev got with a shorter term and RFA years taken into consideration, aka not top dollar but market value.

If DDK is slotted back in his station and has a solid year next year is the contract still garbage? Probably in your mind due to who gave it to him.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017

Why do people still blame Ovechkin? What is he suppose to do differently? Doesn't he have like 25 points in 16 games against the Penguins in the playoffs. Those are pretty good numbers.

Most of the contracts are pay me more than I am worth now and if I reach potential then its a steal type contract. Lot's of gambling. We have no D man who can play #1 or #2 minutes. DeKeyser is paid like a #3. Put him on a team where he can play the role of a #3 D-man and nobody complains about him at all. The issue isn't necessarily who is ON the roster. It's who ISN'T. We don't have a true #1C and we don't have 2 top pairing D men. Granted, I do think we could escape and be in a good position if we had a true #1. Green and Dekeyser would be a really good 3/4 combo behind a set of guys like Keith/Seabrook.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Look out for Serpico, any player from a Glendening to a Toews is going to get flak for seemingly not playing up to their price tag. Danny Dekeyser got the same contract Zaitsev got with a shorter term and RFA years taken into consideration, aka not top dollar but market value.

If DDK is slotted back in his station and has a solid year next year is the contract still garbage? Probably in your mind due to who gave it to him.

Any player is going to get flak for not living up to expectations, the more you make the more flak you could face

That's life as a grown up

If dekeyser plays to expectations NO he won't get flak no need to be melodramatic.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why do people still blame Ovechkin? What is he suppose to do differently? Doesn't he have like 25 points in 16 games against the Penguins in the playoffs. Those are pretty good numbers.

1. People blame him because he is the captain, highest paid player on the team and is who the franchise has built around and accommodated.

2. He has put up points but if you think he has been good enough in ALL the aspects needed to win in May and June your sorely mistaken. Look at last night, that was disgusting for a 10million dollar a year player.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
1. People blame him because he is the captain, highest paid player on the team and is who the franchise has built around and accommodated.

2. He has put up points but if you think he has been good enough in ALL the aspects needed to win in May and June your sorely mistaken. Look at last night, that was disgusting for a 10million dollar a year player.

Everyone on that team looks bad. They called out Shattenkirk for playing poorly after game 2. As well as how undisciplined the caps have been with their sticks. Even in the first series, they made it harder on them than it actually was. To blame just Ovi is asinine. It's not directly on him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Everyone on that team looks bad. They called out Shattenkirk for playing poorly after game 2. As well as how undisciplined the caps have been with their sticks. Even in the first series, they made it harder on them than it actually was. To blame just Ovi is asinine. It's not directly on him.

Woah

I am not blaming JUST ovechkin but yes he is going to get the bulk of rhe criticism. It comes with the territory, it's part of life, of pro sports, the buck stop at ovechkins feet .

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Trade: Nyquist to MIN/LV for Brodin(or Dumba)

Trade: Athanasiou and Howard to CGY for Ferland

Training: Danny Dekeyser loses weight. Dekeyser has been "bulking up" furiously since he was a teenager. His mobility has suffered and his physical play has not improved. Time to shed some weight and get back to his younger rangier form.

Sign: Justin Williams 5-6 mil, Thomas Vanek 2-3 mil, Jiri Hudler 950k, backup G

Fire:Blashill

Hire:Hartley

Disappeared: Sheahen, Jensen, Glendenning

April lineup-

LW Tatar C Zetterberg RW Mantha

LW Svechnikov C Nielson RW Ferland

LW Abdelkader C Larkin RW Williams

LW Vanek C Helm RW Hudler

Bertuzzi Nosek

LD- Brodin RD- Green

LD-Dekeyser RD-Oulette

Ericsson Kronwall Sproul

Came close enough on capfriendly.com. Didn't fix the D, it's impossible. But it's a dreamy group of forwards even though I know you guys will hate it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd rather die than Teuvo Teräväinen Andreas Athanasiou to get rid of Howard for Ferland.

For the love of god though I'd rather lose every game and draft Dahlin or Svech than come close to any of these quick fixes. These teams still suck.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the effort boys, just makes me anxious.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How is Justin Williams landing 5 or 6 million per season? I don't even think he makes that now, and he is like 36, I think.

-Hartley is also a terrible coach.
-Why are we giving up a better player in AA, to get rid of only 2 more years of Howard, and all we get is a worse player, who is a 3rd liner at best.
-Hudler won't be signing for under a million, bad season or not. Also, we already have two Hudler's in Tatar and Nyquist, we don't need three. I know you traded Nyquist, but I don't believe he would fetch a Dumba or Brodin level d-man.
-I think Jensen might be the better d-man between him and Xavier Ouellet, though not sure.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How is Justin Williams landing 5 or 6 million per season? I don't even think he makes that now, and he is like 36, I think.

-Hartley is also a terrible coach.
-Why are we giving up a better player in AA, to get rid of only 2 more years of Howard, and all we get is a worse player, who is a 3rd liner at best.
-Hudler won't be signing for under a million, bad season or not. Also, we already have two Hudler's in Tatar and Nyquist, we don't need three. I know you traded Nyquist, but I don't believe he would fetch a Dumba or Brodin level d-man.
-I think Jensen might be the better d-man between him and Xavier Ouellet, though not sure.

re: brodin/dumba

I think Minny is running into some expansion draft problems, so they may look to move someone rather than risk losing a legitimately good player for nothing. Problem is that a lot of teams would probably face a similar problem in trading for a guy they have to protect. Nyquist and Tatar might not be all that it takes, but I think it'd be very fair to start discussions there.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
re: brodin/dumba

I think Minny is running into some expansion draft problems, so they may look to move someone rather than risk losing a legitimately good player for nothing. Problem is that a lot of teams would probably face a similar problem in trading for a guy they have to protect. Nyquist and Tatar might not be all that it takes, but I think it'd be very fair to start discussions there.

They lose one of them no matter what they do. If they move one, then they still lose another one. Their best move is likely to do nothing, unless they can get draft-ineligible players for two of their guys. (I don't know their NMC/protection situation specifically, I'm just going off of what I've heard Wild fans say since around the TDL)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They lose one of them no matter what they do. If they move one, then they still lose another one. Their best move is likely to do nothing, unless they can get draft-ineligible players for two of their guys. (I don't know their NMC/protection situation specifically, I'm just going off of what I've heard Wild fans say since around the TDL)

Do you have them protecting Scandella? I have them protecting Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin/Dumba. Deal one of the latter, leave Scandella unprotected and it might help them more to have that $4m back. If Minny picks up another forward, I leave Zucker unprotected to cover a Nyquist/Tatar type return in a deal.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Do you have them protecting Scandella? I have them protecting Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin/Dumba. Deal one of the latter, leave Scandella unprotected and it might help them more to have that $4m back. If Minny picks up another forward, I leave Zucker unprotected to cover a Nyquist/Tatar type return in a deal.

I think the idea was that, if they deal one, they'll only have the 3 protected D left for next year, and I don't think they have anyone really ready to step in (maybe I'm wrong, there, I don't know their prospect pool very well). If they don't, then even if they lose Brodin or Dumba (or Spurgeon or Scandella, I guess), they'll still have a full (and solid) top 4 to go with. I guess I could see them moving one for an expansion-ineligible D replacement, but I can't imagine the value there would be good enough to justify it.

That said, crazier things have happened, and if we gave them overwhelming value, they might take it anyways, but it seems like their fans, at least, are pretty resigned to just losing a guy, but still keeping the rest of the D corps.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Couldn't Minnesota just deal a defenseman to Detroit (or another team) for a draft pick(s), and then not have to worry about losing a player they just acquired to Vegas?

I mean, I'm not dealing a first rounder, but if I see a guy I like, and I know their backs are against the wall, wanting something as opposed to losing a guy for nothing, there should probably be SOME sort of package of picks that would be at least worth discussing.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Couldn't Minnesota just deal a defenseman to Detroit (or another team) for a draft pick(s), and then not have to worry about losing a player they just acquired to Vegas?

I mean, I'm not dealing a first rounder, but if I see a guy I like, and I know their backs are against the wall, wanting something as opposed to losing a guy for nothing, there should probably be SOME sort of package of picks that would be at least worth discussing.

But again, if they're still going to lose a guy for nothing, their thought process has to be "do we see more value in going into next season with 4 of our D, or are you offering us a trade we like, irrelevant of the fact that we're still going to lose a guy for nothing (since that's happening anyway)?"

I'm not sure we offer much value, in that regard, with the pieces most fans wouldn't mind moving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad