The Quick Fix (1 year Rebuild)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Firstly, let me start off saying I'm pretty solidly in the tank group for next season. I'd also say probably at least 75% of the fan base thinks we need to embrace some sort of rebuild either by tanking or at least running with the kids we got and letting contracts run out. With that said, how do you hypothetically turn this team around quickly, if say ownership says that you have to make the playoffs next season?

Error on the side of overpaying in trades/ signing UFAs.(Basically no Nyquist for Trouba straight up trades). Also try to make these deals reasonable for the future to. Ie keeping in mind that guys like Mantha, Larkin, etc are due raises soon.

**I don't want you to think like Holland either, because I don't believe he is willing to make the moves necessary to get this team back in contention or even into the playoffs quickly.**

EXPANSION DRAFT

I protect the following:
Z, Nyquist, Tatar, AA, Mantha, Sheahan, Nielson
Green, DD, XO
Mrazek

Leaving: Abby, Helm, Jensen, Howard, Ericsson, Kronwall, Glenny, Sproul

I trade Vegas a 3rd round pick (Chi) & a 6th (Fl) to take one of Abby or Helm. I'd even consider throwing them a contingent pick to get the deal done. I think Vegas agrees to this because there are not going to be a ton of good forwards available in the draft. There will be good goalies and dman available. Plus Abby & or Helm bring a winning culture with them. I'd lean on them choosing Helm. Wings gain 3.85 mil in cap space.

DRAFT

I offer up Howard to Calgary or Buffalo for 3 million a year for the next two years, thus retaining 2.3 mil a year. Howard + 3rd (NYR) for Calgary's next (2) 4ths or Buffalo's 3rd. Wings gain 3 million in cap space. I don't see why either of these teams turns up their nose at a starter coming off a solid year for 3 mil a season for 2 seasons. *For my sake, I'll say Cal takes the deal.

I offer up AA + the Wings 1st rounder + XO for one of the following Cam Fowler, Jacob Trouba, Noah Hanafin. I don't really see Trouba happening because I just don't see WPG trading him. I think AA really intrigues teams with his mix of size and speed, and I think he has pretty solid value thanks to his PPG. If the Wings end up with a
top 3 lottery pick I try to insert Tats or Nyquist into the deal instead, but I think realistically we end up picking 6th or below. Gain max 2.5 mil (assuming AA gets at least 1.5 this summer). **I will say we get Fowler, as I think Anh will be more willing to trade if say the Oil knock them out.

I offer up Luke Glendenning to Toronto for a 4th (2018) round pick. Bab loves him, and he simply makes too much money at 1.8 for what he does for this team. Gain 1.8 mil in cap.

* I don't think E's deal is dealable, otherwise I'd dump him, same goes for Abby.

Leaves the Wings with their 2nd, Tor & Fla 3rds, Cal & Det 4th, Det 5th-7th. I go for almost all Centers & D this draft.

FREE AGENCY
Resign Tats to a 4.75 x3 deal. (He gets a shorter Nyquist deal)
Sign Vanek to a 3mil x 2 deal. (If he had played better in Florida, I'd think he gets more but after no one wanted him at the deadline, I think he happily resigns)
Sign Alzner to a 5.75mil x 5 deal. (I don't by any means love this deal but he is the best defensive dman on the market)

Final Roster

Mantha-Z-Nyquist
Vanek-Nielson-Tats
Abby-Larkin-Svech
Bert-Sheahan-Nosek

Alzner-Fowler
DD-Green
Ericsson-Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek
Coreau

LTIR: Franzen & Kronwall

Assuming that Mrazek rebounds and plays like a starter, I think that is a playoff team. I probably wouldn't call them a contender but I think a much improved defense really helps this team's offense and allows our speed to shine some. I mean they still don't have a number 1 D, but that top 4 isn't bad. You have puck movers in Fowler & Green and good shutdown guys in DD & Alzner. DD and Green also get pushed back a pair, which should help them immensely.

On the offensive side, you bring up Svech, Nosek, and Bert. Ideally I think Svech could use 1 more year in the AHL, but but I think he could manage some 3rd line duty. Bert & Nosek add a little physicality and scoring potential to that 4th line with Sheahan. Larkin gets to spend a full year playing center with Abby who I think he has good chemistry with. Vanek comes back after a rough finish in Florida. I think he enjoys it here, and he had good chemistry with a variety of Wings.

FUTURE:

You'd probably lose Green the next season but his cap space goes to raises for Larkin, Mantha & Fowler. You hope Jensen can fill in for a season in the top 4. Assuming Mrazek plays well you lose Sheahan and replace with a 850k or less player and give Mrazek a raise. Then in 2019/20 you lose Kronner, Howards holdover, Nyquist & Vanek are UFAs, and you can really start to push this team into the future with almost 15 mil in cap space.

Now again with all this said I still think this is too risky to do. You are banking on Z staying healthy and producing, guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Sheahan, and DD rebounding. Mrazek doing a total 180 playing wise. Mantha building on a strong rookie season and the new guys producing. This team still lacks any real horse to lash its hopes to. They still lack a true top line and a number 1 dman, and those teams rarely go far. This is a team that probably squeeks in as a 7th or 8th seed and maybe wins a round, but if ownership wants the playoffs I think it is possible.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It's a well thought-out plan. What I hope happens is that one of Abdelkader or Helm is gone to Vegas for a pick in order to entice them.

The rest is really up in the air. Alzner would be nice, but then another D would need to be dealt out. There really are a lot of parts that need to be moved, that's another reason I can't see it happening.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Band-aids don't fix bullet holes.

**I also seriously doubt Fowler is available after the year he just had for Anaheim where he was logging the most important minutes every night.**

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just a quick glance at the plan I appreciate the write up

I think the plan needs a fail safe based on Larkin's development. He is still a work in progress but I think we are seeing evidence that he is not really a franchise #1 C. Zetterberg can't keep this up much longer and once he is gone what is the replacement for #1C considering our 1st would be gone this year, and we would not get a high pick for several more years.

I also don't see this roster as competitive. That's a decent improvement at D but that forward core gets destroyed in the playoffs. This would be another first round exit with no reasonable expectation that would change going forward. Its a well articulated plan but anything the wings try to do to win now ends in purgatory.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Pretty solid ideas but if you are counting on a Mrazek - Coreau tandem I wouldn't be trying to patch stuff. Unless it's an elite defense in front of him, Mrazek will always be exposed due to his erratic style and awful rebound control.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Appreciate the writeup and the fact you kept it a little more realistic than most similar proposals.

I personally don't like much of your moves though. Losing Helm, AA and Glendening from our roster would take a serious toll on our speed, which is one of few things we have going for us. Trading our 1st, even if it is a weak draft, would be ridiculous.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A retained Howard should net a decent return. He is still capable of starting, and starting goalies go for 5+ in the NHL. No way they should have to give up Howard retained plus a 3rd, for 2 lower picks. A 2nd rounder for Howard at 50% retention seems fair to me.

Consider that most 2nd rounders are nothing special, and HF always over does how much draft picks are worth. Jurco was a 2nd rounder and he will be a non NHL'er in just a few years.

I also don't see Vanek coming in for a second cheap contract. Whether we like it or not, 35-50 point players net 4+ in today's NHL market.

I also still think that Helm has more value than Wings fans think, he isn't that overpaid compared to similar players in the league. He also has a NTC, no way he waves it to go to expansion, and Abdelkader I believe also has a NTC, so while I wish he gets left exposed and taken, it isn't going to happen.

I actually liked another Wings fans idea of leaving the higher priced contracts on the Wings, that can be left available, like Dekeyser and hoping Vegas takes him, clearing his albatross contract away.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A retained Howard should net a decent return. He is still capable of starting, and starting goalies go for 5+ in the NHL. No way they should have to give up Howard retained plus a 3rd, for 2 lower picks. A 2nd rounder for Howard at 50% retention seems fair to me.

Consider that most 2nd rounders are nothing special, and HF always over does how much draft picks are worth. Jurco was a 2nd rounder and he will be a non NHL'er in just a few years.

I also don't see Vanek coming in for a second cheap contract. Whether we like it or not, 35-50 point players net 4+ in today's NHL market.

I also still think that Helm has more value than Wings fans think, he isn't that overpaid compared to similar players in the league. He also has a NTC, no way he waves it to go to expansion, and Abdelkader I believe also has a NTC, so while I wish he gets left exposed and taken, it isn't going to happen.

I actually liked another Wings fans idea of leaving the higher priced contracts on the Wings, that can be left available, like Dekeyser and hoping Vegas takes him, clearing his albatross contract away.

A NTC isn't a NMC. The only must protect is Nielsen, whose NMC becomes modified after the 17-8 season.

I'd be willing to bet that Kenny would never leave DDK unprotected.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
To be clear, I think the idea of sacrificing youth to make rhe playoffs is a terrible idea. I was curious what you would do if you were the GM and told if you want to keep your job, this team has to make the playoffs.

As for the expansion draft NTCS don't have to be protected, only NMCs.

As for Vanek the fact that basically no one would take him for more than what he got at the deadline speaks volumes I think. Plus he really Seemed to love Detroit.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
To be clear, I think the idea of sacrificing youth to make rhe playoffs is a terrible idea. I was curious what you would do if you were the GM and told if you want to keep your job, this team has to make the playoffs.

As for Vanek the fact that basically no one would take him for more than what he got at the deadline speaks volumes I think. Plus he really Seemed to love Detroit.

What I'd be doing is handing out resumes because, quite frankly, if I was GM and was told make the playoffs or else, I know my days are numbered no matter what I do.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I would protect both before DeKeyser.

Give XO the extra 4 and half minutes of non PP ice time per game and role that Dekeyser was in and I bet his lack of foot speed gets even more exposed.

Dekeyser had a dirty, awful season, but he's shown in the past that he can play a decent Top 4 role and he's still young enough to bounce back.

I don't know how many legit Top 4 guys have XO's speed, or lack thereof.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Give XO the extra 4 and half minutes of non PP ice time per game and role that Dekeyser was in and I bet his lack of foot speed gets even more exposed.

Dekeyser had a dirty, awful season, but he's shown in the past that he can play a decent Top 4 role and he's still young enough to bounce back.

I don't know how many legit Top 4 guys have XO's speed, or lack thereof.

I am not worried about XO making 5 million dollars either...

DeKeyser should be exposed for the same reason Abdelkader and Helm should be, his contract sucks.

I don't think Ouellet can get a lot faster, but then again we have been waiting on DeKeyser to get stronger for a while now too and that prevents him from being an effective top 4 d-man. He has been bad for two seasons, his development has stalled big time and he makes a ridiculous amount of money for a mediocre D-man with no offensive ability. I was on the whole KQ is holding him back thought, tough to ignore what happened last year though.

By the way if I am Vegas I don't draft DeKeyser so it really doesn't matter if we expose him in my opinion.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To be clear, I think the idea of sacrificing youth to make the playoffs is a terrible idea. I was curious what you would do if you were the GM and told if you want to keep your job, this team has to make the playoffs.

If playoffs are a must, Vanek would be a good choice, still don't see him getting less per year, than Helm, or even Abdelkader. This year, he signed for cheap, because he already had buyout money. Also, keeping Helm and Abdelkader does help in going for the playoffs, if all you got was draft picks, or lost them in expansion.

Now if playoffs are not priority one, then leaving all the expensive contracts up for grabs in the expansion draft is the way to go. Force Vegas to take one of your high contracts. Or trade lower picks to move some of them.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I see this post as the answer to 'how do the Wings make the playoffs for 1-2 years as 6-8 seed and extends the rebuild by 5 years?'

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
FWIW, I'd protect Jensen instead of Ouellet. This is a skating game these days.

This for sure. I do like the plan, it's a nice thought to enjoy hockey next year. But we need this high pick and next year's hopefully higher pick. We need some high-end core pieces to compete in this NHL for years to come. The only reason this didn't happen years ago was the miracle 6th and 7th round picks of Dats and Z - that isn't going to happen in future.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I see this post as the answer to 'how do the Wings make the playoffs for 1-2 years as 6-8 seed and extends the rebuild by 5 years?'

This is exactly what I meant. Basically this is my what do you think the Wings need to do in order to make this team a playoff team. Ie what Holland hints at wanting to do. I do not however think he has the gumption to actually make those moves.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
This is exactly what I meant. Basically this is my what do you think the Wings need to do in order to make this team a playoff team. Ie what Holland hints at wanting to do. I do not however think he has the gumption to actually make those moves.

A lot of the moves you suggest should be done (they won't, of course), but we need to leave those holes with the cleared cap space. Let's bleed or a bit.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Even in the case you've outlined (just make the playoffs for a season), I think the C "depth" on this team dooms it. Larkin isn't, right now, capable of playing C, based on his usage and his development, and I'll be somewhat shocked if that changes. That said, I don't think the playoff-ness of your roster changes all that much if you remove Vanek and re-insert Glendening (Glennie as 4C, Sheahan as 3C, Larkin as 2LW).

I also don't think there's any way AA and our first return anything approaching the kind of D we'd need (I think they'd bring back a Mike Green-ish player, decent but flawed and probably a 2nd pairing guy), and certainly none of the 3 listed.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If playoffs are a must, Vanek would be a good choice, still don't see him getting less per year, than Helm, or even Abdelkader. This year, he signed for cheap, because he already had buyout money. Also, keeping Helm and Abdelkader does help in going for the playoffs, if all you got was draft picks, or lost them in expansion.

Now if playoffs are not priority one, then leaving all the expensive contracts up for grabs in the expansion draft is the way to go. Force Vegas to take one of your high contracts. Or trade lower picks to move some of them.

I don't think it was all vanaks choice to sign for cheap. The tdl showed he's not very well regarded and he didn't do anything to help himself post trade either. I doubt he gets a very lucrative contract. Kenny might overpay for him but he doesn't have much room to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad