TV: The Queen's Gambit: Miniseries

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bill Camp is always good in everything.

As for chess and madness, for centuries they went hand in hand.

Something for me to watch. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Queen's Gambit / Episode 1 / Openings (2020) :

''No grandmaster is normal. They only differ in the extent of their madness.'' - Viktor Korchnoi

Beth Harmon is an orphan living at a Catholic boarding school. I'm not sure who wrote the initial episode but they got everything right, from the crosses on the walls, to fish on Friday, to burning her hand on the hot water radiator (I did that a million times), to the shadows on the floors and ceilings. Just perfect!

There, at the age of 8, she's introduced to chess and they got that right, too. From the openings (I never thought I'd hear "Najdorf" in a movie), to the notations, to the different board sizes, to lying in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, replaying games in her head as she flicks her fingers. It's all there. It's all perfect!

Add the personal depth of the Beth character (and her addiction to pills) and I could not be more pleased with Episode 1.

Perfect!

10/10

Current Rotten Tomatoes Score : 100% - BOTH critics and audience.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Queen's Gambit / Episode 2 / Exchanges (2020) :

"When men lose against me, they always have a headache... or things of that kind. I have never beaten a completely healthy man!" - Susan Polgar.

Beth gets adopted as Anya Taylor-Joy takes over the lead role. Her new home is cold and not without its challenges, including reinforcing her drug habit, but it allows her to spread her wings and grow in confidence.

Beth enters her first tournament and minus the inaccurate pacing, which is done for dramatic effect, it's authentic. When she plays the top player and he yawns out of arrogance after arriving late, you want to slap him, but it adds to the tension - that kind of behavior is not common (players are pretty respectful of each other at chess tournaments) but it does happen.

At the end of the episode, Beth finds herself a manager, a backer and a mother - all under her new roof. I'm skeptical so we'll have to see where this goes.

Thank you, Netflix, I love this series.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Queen's Gambit / Episode 3 / Double Pawns (2020) :

“Just as one's imagination is stirred by a girl's smile, so is one's imagination stirred by the possibilities of chess.” - Mikhail Tal

A few issues with episode 3...

1) Beth wins multiple tournaments and appears on the cover of Life Magazine with a rating below 1,800. This makes no sense. I've had a rating much higher than 1,800 and I've never been on any magazine covers. ;)

2) For a feminist themed series, there sure are a LOT of poisonous pawns women. I keep wondering if Beth's mom is one of them.

3) Beth falls for a guy with a male roommate. When she sees them talk, she immediately knows he's gay. Quite a leap for a sheltered girl from the 1960's.

The Queens Gambit is turning into The Female Bobby Fischer Story - she even wastes a tempo to tuck her Bishop back on b3 like Fischer.

At only 46 minutes, episode 3 left me wanting more as Beth suffers her first loss. Oh well, you learn more from your losses. Like a good book, I don't want this series to end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad