TV: The Queen's Gambit: Miniseries

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
There was a corvaior club or something that was in town with all of them parked ,i had forgotten how good looking those little rigs are circa 65-66..not sure the one on the show is a factory color but it got beauty lines.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There was a corvaior club or something that was in town with all of them parked ,i had forgotten how good looking those little rigs are circa 65-66..not sure the one on the show is a factory color but it got beauty lines.
I THINK you are talking cars. TBH, I know nothing about cars. :)

I just know you add gas and they go.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It was a decent show, especially at the beginning. I thought I was watching an alternative Bobby Fisher doc but they really did a good job of filling in her backstory and putting us in the era.

The last couple of episodes were not great and the one thing that bothered me is several of the chess games seemed to lose continuity or they just didn't show us all the moves of the end sequence.

The actress is great and stunning.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I am amazed that a show about a chess playing young woman that focuses on a lot of chess ended being so successful. Good writing and Anya Taylor-Joy account for a lot of that, but I'm still flabbergasted that it worked. It is also saying some interesting things about family that I find very thoughtful. Looking forward to a second season hopefully.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It was a decent show, especially at the beginning. I thought I was watching an alternative Bobby Fisher doc but they really did a good job of filling in her backstory and putting us in the era.

The last couple of episodes were not great and the one thing that bothered me is several of the chess games seemed to lose continuity or they just didn't show us all the moves of the end sequence.

It does feel like the Bobby Fischer story.

Episode 3 wasn't up to the first 2.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Watched 5 of the 7 episodes so far. Yes it does drag a bit at times but this series has been a delight so far.

P.S. As someone who played chess competitively when I was young I've also been playing a fair bit of chess online since the pandemic. If anyone plays on chess.com and would like a game feel free to msg me (my username on there is loose_moose)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My fiancée started this show without me and I'm pissed! She says she wants to watch it again with me, but I'm already scorned.... And she doesn't even know how to play chess!!

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Best opportunity to say Goodbye. :sarcasm:
Eh, I'll just wait til the next big show drops and watch it before she can, lol.

Started the show last night though and it definitely has an amazing vibe after the first episode. Really looking forward to this one.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

That's because its loosely based on Bobby Fischer.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Heh, I was a master candidate back to my junior days in 80s, played vs some future grand masters and even beat them sometimes. Nowadays I've totally forgotten everything I used to know about chess theory (I haven't played a single chess game for probably 20 years), but world's crazyness about this series kinda makes me regretting about quitting chess.

Of course, I'm too old to get back, but I'll probably watch the series one day... or not.

Her Russian is impressive, btw.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Heh, I was a master candidate back to my junior days in 80s, played vs some future grand masters and even beat them sometimes. Nowadays I've totally forgotten everything I used to know about chess theory (I haven't played a single chess game for probably 20 years), but world's crazyness about this series kinda makes me regretting about quitting chess.

Of course, I'm too old to get back, but I'll probably watch the series one day... or not.

Her Russian is impressive, btw.

Are you actually from Russia as your profile says? If so, is chess as serious business as the show portrays?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Are you actually from Russia as your profile says? If so, is chess as serious business as the show portrays?

It used to be. During Soviet era chess was very popular in the country. And in the world Soviet Union in chess was similar to America in basketball or China in table tennis. There were usually 10 or even more Soviet players in top20 rating list. And Soviet masters were usually stronger, than average international grandmasters.

I used to play with a guy, who became a master at age 18 and quited chess after USSR collapsed, because he had to make a living. So he got back to chess at age 35, because he wanted to become a grandmaster. And he became one. Not the strongest one, but still.

You can imagine, he played way better before he quited chess, than later, and he was just an average Soviet master, far from the best.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
was outstanding. 2nd. best Netflix limited series so far. Godless still top of the charts imo.

1 of these a year and I renew my subscription.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad