BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Lol at him being the greatest American songwriter

Stevie Wonder
Paul Simon
Joni Mitchell
Carol King/Goffin
Dylan

All have him beat. If I get into Motown,Blues or even Broadway/Showtunes he's even further down the list.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Jealous... she’s awesome
she's friends with one of my highschool teachers and me and a buddy were having lunch and spotted teach with somebody familiar. no one else in the place so they invited us to join them. I don't really remember much. I was in awe of having a reuben across from the woman "Going to California" was written about.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
she's friends with one of my highschool teachers and me and a buddy were having lunch and spotted teach with somebody familiar. no one else in the place so they invited us to join them. I don't really remember much. I was in awe of having a reuben across from the woman "Going to California" was written about.

So cool. She’s just so damn talented!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Lol at him being the greatest American songwriter

Stevie Wonder
Paul Simon
Joni Mitchell
Carol King/Goffin
Dylan

All have him beat. If I get into Motown,Blues or even Broadway/Showtunes he's even further down the list.

Joni Mitchell's Canadian. along with other candidates like Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot and Gord Downie.

Tom Waits, Bobbie Gentry and Lou Reed are up there.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I’ve been on these boards since 2007 and everyone seems to love Tom Petty. In honor of the greatest American songwriter of all time (sorry Lou Reed, sorry Bob Dylan, sorry no one else, because Tom Petty has no equals) but here are the top 25 Tom Petty songs from someone who has seen him numerous times live and knows he’s the George Harrison of American music (which has its own implications)...

25. Even The Losers
24. Waiting For Tonight
23. Into The Great Wide Open
22. Listen to her Heart
21. Wildflowers
20. Insider
19. Breakdown
18. I Won’t Back Down
17. Rebels
16. Don’t Come Around Here No More
15. To Find a Friend
14. Running Down A Dream
13. Southern Accents
12. Change of Heart
11. Yer So Bad
10. The Waiting
9. You Don’t Know How it Feels
8. American Girl
7. Straight Into Darkness
6. You and I Will Meet Again
5. The Wild One, Forever
4. Angel Dream (No. 4)
3. Free Fallin’
2. Mary Jane’s Last Dance
1. Learning to Fly

You're missing one of my favorites:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Tom Petty's - Won't Back Down, from the America - A Tribute to Hero's 9/11 concert is still one of my top live performances, in person or on film that I've ever seen. Hard to watch without getting emotional. The look in his eyes, through the entire performance spoke of our resolve in those times.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

MJR BBB65

Feb 28, 2021
Couple of my favorites Into the Great Wide Open and You got Lucky. Also, another great performance was when he and an all star cast of Jeff Lynn and Prince performed While My Guitar Gently Weeps honoring George Harrison

aguineapig

Loved his covers, always remembered his roots and honored them. Paul Butterfield Blues Band cover

Peter Green and original Fleetwood Mac

And of course the Byrds and a Rickenbacker

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve been on these boards since 2007 and everyone seems to love Tom Petty. In honor of the greatest American songwriter of all time (sorry Lou Reed, sorry Bob Dylan, sorry no one else, because Tom Petty has no equals) but here are the top 25 Tom Petty songs from someone who has seen him numerous times live and knows he’s the George Harrison of American music (which has its own implications)...

25. Even The Losers
24. Waiting For Tonight
23. Into The Great Wide Open
22. Listen to her Heart
21. Wildflowers
20. Insider
19. Breakdown
18. I Won’t Back Down
17. Rebels
16. Don’t Come Around Here No More
15. To Find a Friend
14. Running Down A Dream
13. Southern Accents
12. Change of Heart
11. Yer So Bad
10. The Waiting
9. You Don’t Know How it Feels
8. American Girl
7. Straight Into Darkness
6. You and I Will Meet Again
5. The Wild One, Forever
4. Angel Dream (No. 4)
3. Free Fallin’
2. Mary Jane’s Last Dance
1. Learning to Fly

I am not the biggest fan by any means, but I’m glad you stuck “Learning to Fly” in as your #1. I’ve always really liked that song but didn’t think it would show up on a real fans list in the top spot for whatever reason.

On the other hand, I could never hear Free Fallin’ again and be a very happy man for it.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Petty and most of the Heartbreakers are from Gainesville, FL, which is home to the University of Florida. They filmed a live concert at the school's basketball arena, and the band and Petty himself were big Gator fans.

A few days after his death, the school decided to play "I Won't Back Down" as a tribute to Petty after their traditional singing of "We Are the Boys" between the 3rd and 4th quarters of football games. It was originally supposed to be a one-time tribute, but the school quickly changed their minds and made it permanent.

I think it's one of college football's coolest new traditions:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad