The Prospects Thread XX - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Horvat definitely has more value at this point. The dude is well on his way to becoming a successful NHL player. Virtanen has a lot of ?????? and his ceiling isnt rediculous like ppg forward. His ceiling is about 30+30=60.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Horvat definitely has more value at this point. The dude is well on his way to becoming a successful NHL player. Virtanen has a lot of ?????? and his ceiling isnt rediculous like ppg forward. His ceiling is about 30+30=60.

It is definitely not too early to put these kind of limitations on Virtanen's potential.

Definitely not too early...

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
my totally biased prospect ranking for December :naughty:

December (Change)(last month)
1 Bo Horvat C
2 Jake Virtanen RW
3 Hunter Shinkaruk LW
4 Ben Hutton D
5 Frank Corrado D

6 Brendan Gaunce C/LW
7 Nicklas Jensen LW
8 Thather Demko G +1 (9)
9 Jared McCann C -1 (8)
10 Cole Cassels C

11 Gustav Forsling D +2 (13)
12 Jordan Subban D +3 (15)
13 Alex Friesen C/RW +9 (21)
14 Ronald Kenins LW +6 (20)
15 Alexandre Grenier RW +1 (16)

16 Evan McEneny D -4 (12)
17 Patrick McNally D = (17)
18 Dane Fox LW -6 (11)
19 Nikita Tryamkin D -5 (14)
20 Michael Zalewski RW +4 (24)

21 Andrey Pedan D NEW
22 Peter Andersson D -3 (19)
23 Henrik Tommernes D -5 (18)
24 Anton Cederholm D
25 Kyle Pettit C

26 Joe Cannata G
27 Joseph LaBate LW
28 Mackenze Stewart

Matthew Beattie
Mike Williamson
Miles Liberati

top 10 to me is pretty self explanatory except i have a huge homerism for Hutton v Corrado but they r interchangeable

Forsling from all the reports ive read have been pleasantly surprised but i cant say much from that

Alex Friesen gets a huge jump for me. just the way he hustles every shift ..man he's really fun to watch right now

McNally continues to produce; which is always a good sign

after 17, it gets real tricky
Kenins and Zale both started slow but they both really picked up their game in the last few games...im actually having a hard time trying to distinguish their game style....feels so similar..

As for Tryamkin....well....i have no idea

FYI, i have seen almost every propsects at least a handful of games except college and european guys. so i think i know a thing or two about their game and style...and....

flame away! (will take suggestions and change accordingly if necessary)

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
flame away!

I agree for the most part, but just for fun:

-Shinkaruk is not trending well right now, but the lack of push from below keeps him top 3.
-Demko should be a bit higher.
-Dane Fox should be down a few more spots.
-Kenins should be MUCH higher. I'd put him in 14th behind Subban. Kenins looks like a legit future NHL'er in a gritty 3rd or 4th line role.
-Tryamkin should be MUCH higher. I'd put him in 11th. Just ahead of Forsling.
-Completely unnecessary nitpick: Cannata should be ahead of LaBate who is looking like he's not even worth a contract spot right now.

Depejk*

The Canucks' pool is so stacked now. Have some VERY good and underrated prospects.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Don't know if this is a nitpik or just a couple of questions on the list created by ihaveyuidonttouchme (hey Jian, is that you?).

Should we really consider Horvat a prospect anymore? He is on this team to stay. Would take a real reversal of his play to see him demoted to the AHL next year.

If Horvat is a prospect, should Vey also be considered a prospect. He's much older, but is less of a fixture on the team than Horvat.

Anyway, good list ihavyu.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Calgary scores 9 goals and Virtanen comes out of it being +1? Damn it, lol. Would've been nice for him to rack up the points.

At least he wasn't on the ice for any of the goals against. :dunno:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of intrigued about Tryamkin and Forsling...teenagers playing in their country's top professional leagues....I know we like to get excited about our prospects in junior and college, but pretty impressive to have teens taking a regular shift with guys 10 years old, bigger and stronger....need to get them over here to see what we have.:)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Calgary scores 9 goals and Virtanen comes out of it being +1? Damn it, lol. Would've been nice for him to rack up the points.

At least he wasn't on the ice for any of the goals against. :dunno:

This is exactly what I was thinking. 9 goals and no points for Virtanen? That's brutal.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Wed Dec 3

AHL

Utica at Texas 5:30pm

ECHL

Florida at Kalamazoo 4pm

OHL

Owen Sound at Erie 4pm
Pettit

Ottawa at Belleville 4pm
Subban

WHL

Prince Albert at Prince George 7pm
Stewart

S_C

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
This is exactly what I was thinking. 9 goals and no points for Virtanen? That's brutal.

Seems partially a function of luck. Red Deer has a similar record to Calgary and outshot Calgary. I didn't see the game, but 9 goals on 27 shots seems to indicate that the goalies were sieve like at times.

Probably easier to end up with 0 points in a game like that than a game where the team gets 60 shots and 9 goals.

arsmaster*

Is there a difference in not registering a point in a game where your team score 9 and when your team scores 2 or 3.

IMO, no, we're just selfishly wanting our guy to be in on that. I don't think scraping up a few points in a blowout means all that much, part of the reason I always worry about hyping up guys who have 5 or 6 points in a 9-1 win.

arsmaster*

Seems partially a function of luck. Red Deer has a similar record to Calgary and outshot Calgary. I didn't see the game, but 9 goals on 27 shots seems to indicate that the goalies were sieve like at times.

Probably easier to end up with 0 points in a game like that than a game where the team gets 60 shots and 9 goals.

Yeah, or the other lines just had a better matchup.

There's a difference in quality matching up against a Brett Cote and Colton Dixon vs likely playing head to head with Haydn Fleury and a matchup line.

That said, didn't see the game and not really worried he didn't pick up gravy time points. Seems people would have been happier if he scored an EN goal or picked up a 2nd assist.

I think his game is progressing from last year, that's about all you really want....sure a certain level of production progression would be great, but his game looks more rounded this year in my views.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Is there a difference in not registering a point in a game where your team score 9 and when your team scores 2 or 3.

IMO, no, we're just selfishly wanting our guy to be in on that. I don't think scraping up a few points in a blowout means all that much, part of the reason I always worry about hyping up guys who have 5 or 6 points in a 9-1 win.

I wasn't meaning to come off like I was complaining about it (as if to say that he sucks because he didn't figure in to a 9 goal game). It's more that it's a little disappointing that he didn't figure in to any of those 9 goals. That's all.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
blow out games where top prospects don't get points happen quite often in junior

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

i saw the first two goals for the Calgary and the goalies were definitely sieved....let in first goal 5 sec in....another weak goal later and such

arsmaster*

I wasn't meaning to come off like I was complaining about it (as if to say that he sucks because he didn't figure in to a 9 goal game). It's more that it's a little disappointing that he didn't figure in to any of those 9 goals. That's all.

I wasn't referring to just you either, it's a common complaint. That not padding your stats in a blowout is considered "brutal", but not padding your stats in a close game is "ok".

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Wow this is just silly Jake played fine, it was just the Connor Rankin show(3g 3a on the night). For most of the season Jake has been trying too hard to score due to his team being out of sorts. Hopefully with how they played last night as a team he can relax and just forcus on his game, and not trying to makeup for everyone else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For whatever reason, it's not uncommon for high draft picks to go back to Junior and fail to achieve the statistical heights they reached in their draft year...lots of examples...certainly someone like Getzlaf comes to mind...sometimes it's injuries or playing on a re-building Jr. team.....Virtanen will be fine....can't teach what he already has, blinding speed and good old fashioned 'Burkean' truculence...still very young...only missed being draft eligible this year by a few weeks or so.:handclap:

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
getzlaf had a great draft +1 year, it was his draft+2 year where he regressed back to PPG

someone who did have a poor draft+1 year from a production standpoint was andrew ladd. interestingly, they both played together on the hitmen, with ladd being a year younger

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
For whatever reason, it's not uncommon for high draft picks to go back to Junior and fail to achieve the statistical heights they reached in their draft year...lots of examples...certainly someone like Getzlaf comes to mind...sometimes it's injuries or playing on a re-building Jr. team.....Virtanen will be fine....can't teach what he already has, blinding speed and good old fashioned 'Burkean' truculence...still very young...only missed being draft eligible this year by a few weeks or so.:handclap:

If it isn't uncommon maybe you should provide a long list of prospects who managed to succeed under those circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad