The Prospects Thread XX - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
God for Pettit for scoring some goals, but when I look at what our current bottom 6 guys produced in junior I still hate the pick. Dorsett and Richardson had very respectable offensive production during their draft years and after.

Draft Year:
Dorsett - 48pts in 68gp
Richardson - 67pts in 67gp
Pettit - 10pts in 53gp

Draft +1:
Dorsett - 64pts in 61gp
Richardson - 16pts in 15gp
Pettit - 9pts in 23gp

Can't help but feel like it's a wasted pick.

Just out of curiosity, what was their goal totals for those years? Can we force a positive out of it?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If we are going to waste picks year after year why can't we use them on players from teams like Kelowna and Portland who seem to pump out prospects by the dozen. Seems pretty nuts that we almost never draft from those good teams in the WHL.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
The most worrying Benning quote from the draft was that he took Pettit and Stewart to develop 4th liners in house.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The most worrying Benning quote from the draft was that he took Pettit and Stewart to develop 4th liners in house.

Nothing wrong with that when its a 6-7th round pick

Just be glad he's not taking Gauthiers in the first

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Always demand more, not less.

Taking useless plugs like this in the 6th and 7th round is poor planning and scouting.

Taking someone like Gauthier in the first is complete incompetence.

One is bad, the other is terribad.

Let's have neither.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The whole behind developing 4th liners in-house is just pure lunacy. Do you know what makes a great 4th liner? A 3rd liner, playing on the 4th line.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
If you go out with the mindset of developing a 4th liner, you will fail. You should develop the best players you can and then given the depth of your team some of them should be forced to the 4th line.

Horvat and Hansen aren't traditional 4th liners and yet this is the best bottom 6 we've had in, dare I say, decades.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Ignoring my complete indifference for Pettit and Stewart (especially him, I follow the OHL more), these two are still wasted picks.

most picks past the 3rd round aren't making the NHL anyway. I think Stewart has late bloomers qualities. Started playing at a late age, kid is a beast, loves to fight. Nothing wrong with a big tough d-man. Does he make the NHL? Probably not but I don't think it's a wasted pick.

Pettit, huge checking forward. The Canucks have taken a few of these guys in the past with out much luck yet. Will he make the NHL? probably not. But he's a big forward playing on a very good team, a team that might make the memorial cup. He could develop a lot over the next year. Don't think it's a wasted pick either.

Loved the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks anyway so I have no issues with Bennings drafting.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Everything is wrong with that.

a) 4th liners have little value so there's really no point investing picks on someone whose longshot upside is to be a replaceable asset you can easily get for free.

b) low-skill, low-production junior players don't make the NHL. When you look at who makes the NHL from the 5th-7th rounds, it's pretty much exclusively guys who showed talent and production but were passed over because of size or skating, or because they played in a poorly scouted league.

As for Stewart and Pettit specifically, they suck. No-hopers.

Pettit is basically a redux of former Canuck prospect Stefan Schneider. A big guy with solid defensive fundamentals but clunky skating and no clue offensively.

arsmaster*

Everything is wrong with that.

a) 4th liners have little value so there's really no point investing picks on someone whose longshot upside is to be a replaceable asset you can easily get for free.

b) low-skill, low-production junior players don't make the NHL. When you look at who makes the NHL from the 5th-7th rounds, it's pretty much exclusively guys who showed talent and production but were passed over because of size or skating, or because they played in a poorly scouted league.

As for Stewart and Pettit specifically, they suck. No-hopers.

Pettit is basically a redux of former Canuck prospect Stefan Schneider. A big guy with solid defensive fundamentals but clunky skating and no clue offensively.
Exactly.

Look at the gripes with the selection of Brendan Gaunce, who's basically a PPG OHLer for 3 straight years and his upside is 2/3 tweeener. You absolutely have to exude some semblance of talent at lower levels to even sniff the show. I doubt these guys become more than ECHL-AHL yo-yo's. Wouldn't be surprised if both pursue CIS hockey as I don't see pro hockey in their futures.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I dunno. I dont really mind if we only end up with a couple of big bodies running around at training camp (and in the mix for our minor league teams).

If they use the same approach every single year, different story, but Im ok with a bit of variety.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Plus Stewart's clearly a character guy. Could be an extremely positive influence on the rest of the prospects over the next couple of years.

arsmaster*

Plus Stewart's clearly a character guy. Could be an extremely positive influence on the rest of the prospects over the next couple of years.

I'm a character guy. I don't see how I could make Jared McCann better at hockey.

I mean sure, it's a late pick and it's easy to just outright dismiss it and not care about it, but.....drafting kids is about taking the guys with the best chance to improve your NHL roster in the future, not to have a character guy the kids can play with in the penticton touney.

Look at a guy like Adam Polasek, this guy is a character, showed progression, and 4 years after being drafted is out of the organization and never once had a sniff at the NHL even though IMO he certainly showed progression from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
there r really no point in discussing Stewart/Petit in this board.... 99.9% of em already set their mind that they r busts but it's those who doesnt give him a chance without ever seeing him a game drives me nuts

so i'd recommend just ignore everything about them at this point and just check my highlights in my youtube channel for your eyes on him (channel is same name...im like the only one who gives a damn)

One thing i'd like to mention whats good about Stewart..(ive seen almost every game )
his biggest assets r his effortless skating. he can cover a lot of areas. his back skating is also good. can catch a lot of fast guys back paddling. obv this is still work in progress
uses his size very well along the boards..can really punish small players and knock them out
can fight check highlights
he's good on one on one. he uses his long stick to really disturb their move

though he can carry the puck to the neutral line okay, puck handling skill is poor
he tends to lose balance quite often when he bumps into another big player or make a hit (seen on his one leg quite often)
offensively limited

He was put in a 3rd line forward spot for ~15 games
did not looked out of pace for the most part and now back to the D and impressed me each game...
im a student at penn state. i'll try to get to a game to see how williamson looks.

please do so...the entire canucks hfboard depend on it!
#nopressure :naughty:

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm a character guy. I don't see how I could make Jared McCann better at hockey.

I mean sure, it's a late pick and it's easy to just outright dismiss it and not care about it, but.....drafting kids is about taking the guys with the best chance to improve your NHL roster in the future, not to have a character guy the kids can play with in the penticton touney.

Look at a guy like Adam Polasek, this guy is a character, showed progression, and 4 years after being drafted is out of the organization and never once had a sniff at the NHL even though IMO he certainly showed progression from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL.

Polasek is a weird one, though. He always seemed to play pretty well in the AHL (+16 in 70 AHL games) and seemed to have some tools but was never given much of a chance at all. Now that he's back in the Czech Republic, he's #2 in defender scoring in the Extraleague and an impact player there. Still only 23 and I wouldn't be shocked if somebody gives him another chance in NA.

In any case, yeah, draft guys with talent. They'll be the ones that play. The contrast is so stark it's unbelievable. Low production grinders taken in rounds 5-7 have about a 1% success rate while high producing guys who dropped due to size/skating are over 15%.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
What is the point of developing 4th liners when players like Kyle Chipchura are on waivers *today*

4th line talent is abundant and low-value. If you need it you can get it, easily.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Polasek is a weird one, though. He always seemed to play pretty well in the AHL (+16 in 70 AHL games) and seemed to have some tools but was never given much of a chance at all. Now that he's back in the Czech Republic, he's #2 in defender scoring in the Extraleague and an impact player there. Still only 23 and I wouldn't be shocked if somebody gives him another chance in NA.

Weird what happened to Polasek - we terminated his contract so he could presumably go home and get more ice time rather than being stuck in the ECHL but everything I remember hearing about him back then was that he should never have been sent down in the first place. He was probably a better choice to keep around than someone like Sauve because he at least had some instincts for the game. I'd much rather have him in the system than someone like Negrin right now. Guy's doing phenomenal in the Czech league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad