Confirmed with Link: The Prospects Challenge is set for September 15-18 at Harborcenter - BUF, BOS, MTL, NJ, OTT, & PIT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel Lindgren has regressed a little ?

Johnson getting very little ice time tonight

Looks like the same guy from the Rebels' playoff run - mixed results.

---------------------------------------------------

Good third period, possibly score effects but they did a better job being up on the play in the third and didn't give up as much off the rush. Tough that Savoie went down early as that did seem to flatten them emotionally. Hopefully with him not in a sling and walking around the rink, he's not badly hurt.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Players who impressed today:

Yager - best player on the ice
Soto - undrafted
Svejkovsky
Belliveau
Joshua

Novikov - Sabres best player
Metsa
N. Savoie

I was hoping to see more from Lindgren, Nadeau, Cederqvist, and even Kozak. Not that Cederqvist and Kozak were bad, but they should have showed better given their experience. Benson looked like Yager at home.

Novikov stood out as a player who looked like he played pro hockey and was very comfortable. Even if Yager would have burned by him for that second goal, I think he'd have made the right call and hauled him down.

The ice was ra-huff. Adams was talking to Dahlin and his GF for a while during the second period. They didn't seem to shake hands and sign anything for those wondering.

I'm surprised Biron was only listed at 6'2" as a player, he looked taller than that.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Players who impressed today:

Yager - best player on the ice
Soto - undrafted
Svejkovsky
Belliveau
Joshua

Novikov - Sabres best player
Metsa
N. Savoie

I was hoping to see more from Lindgren, Nadeau, Cederqvist, and even Kozak. Not that Cederqvist and Kozak were bad, but they should have showed better given their experience. Benson looked like Yager at home.

Novikov stood out as a player who looked like he played pro hockey and was very comfortable. Even if Yager would have burned by him for that second goal, I think he'd have made the right call and hauled him down.

The ice was ra-huff. Adams was talking to Dahlin and his GF for a while during the second period. They didn't seem to shake hands and sign anything for those wondering.

I'm surprised Biron was only listed at 6'2" as a player, he looked taller than that.
Ryan Johnson was pretty underwhelming for someone that’s getting dark horse roster vibes. Novikov was a huge surprise for me personally.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Scott Wheeler took in the Buffalo tournament.

Matt Savoie, C/RW, Buffalo: It didn’t take long watching the games in Buffalo this week to come to the conclusion that the host team was the most talented. Isak Rosen (two goals and four points in two games) was one of the best players on the ice in both of the Sabres’ first two games of the tournament, knifing up coverage on the puck (and as a passer). Zach Benson (a goal and an assist in two games) didn’t look the least bit out of place as an 18-year-old. Jiri Kulich looked like a player who did what he did in the AHL last year. Nikita Novikov’s 100-plus games of KHL experience showed.

But Savoie’s pace and work ethic were just so noticeable, right up until he appeared to hurt his shoulder on his first shift of Monday night’s finale. He routinely looked like he had a half step on the opposition, both in jump and in raw speed whenever he turned on the jets. He plays the game with such drive that his size never once felt like a factor (he has always been sneaky-strong, too).

The shoulder injury is a tough blow. Savoie already dealt with one in his draft year, and a second injury usually comes with a recommendation for surgery and the six-month layoff that comes with it. For a kid who had a real chance in main camp to push for a nine-game NHL audition (especially after Jack Quinn’s injury), and was a lock to play for Canada at the world juniors, that’s devastating.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Don’t want to count Savoie out and we’ll see the severity today… But two shoulder injuries for a small statured guy who still hasn’t gotten the opportunity to fill in (and won’t - if he has to get surgery) not a good outlook.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Scott Wheeler took in the Buffalo tournament.

Appert said it was too early to tell and that he was going to the doctors today. So, I doubt Wheeler had any real info on the extent of the injury and if it will require surgery.

Plus, the Sabres just said it was an UBI. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a mild concussion instead of a shoulder.

Reactions: Chainshot

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Savoie getting hurt is really unfortunate.
I hope its nothing serious and that he is ready for camp.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Don’t want to count Savoie out and we’ll see the severity today… But two shoulder injuries for a small statured guy who still hasn’t gotten the opportunity to fill in (and won’t - if he has to get surgery) not a good outlook.
If they can put humpty dumpty's neck back together, Savoie's shoulder can be fixed. The issue is the Sabres do not have a good track record when it comes to career-altering medical issues.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I would have been interesting to hear what Benson had to say when Savoie went down but I can understand why they didn't show that.

Also interesting how they went full beer league being down two players - "What side do you want?" "I got next guy".

Last edited:

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Benson is 2 maybe 3 years away from the NHL.
2-3 years is a long way out for them to be putting him with Skinner and Thompson the first 2 days of this year's training camp, eh? Plus I wasn't projecting Rosen and Benson to make the club now, just that I wanted to see them with the big boys on NHL ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad