Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I don't really care about Asplund and Grundstrom.

I simply disagree with you're opinion.

You could prove to be right about his game translating to NA seamlessly—only time will tell—but the WJC is a small sample, and I put little stock in it.

Either way, my preference would be that he's playing in NA as soon as possible—i believe it's better for both him and the organization.

Feel free to think otherwise.

It's frustrating management wasn't able to convince him to stay as other organizations have.

Then why mention this if you don't care about similar prospects in other organizations?

So what if he doesn't translate seamlessly? He can continue developing in Utica then. SHL - AHL - NHL.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Generally, I would prefer our prospects to play in the AHL if they are eligible. It gives us more control over their development and they can potentially earn callups to the big club if they excel. Plus, many teams run similar systems at the NHL and AHL level so it gets that prospect familiar with the system and the organization.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
On a non-Canuck prospect related note, what the hell Tolvanen? He's PPG in the KHL... He was drafted 30th by Nashville for those who are unaware.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
On a non-Canuck prospect related note, what the hell Tolvanen? He's PPG in the KHL... He was drafted 30th by Nashville for those who are unaware.

I believe there were "attitude concerns" before the draft. He had been committed to the NCAA but then didn't get the grades needed so couldn't attend. Then apparently interviewed poorly.

I definitely think scouts care too much on "attitude". These are 18 year olds so who cares if they have a bit of an ego or can't interview. As long as someone is not an absolute asshole doing significantly illegal things or is just lazy period, I don't see the big deal. Talent wins out every time.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
On another note, Mackenzie Stewart with 2A in the ECHL today. :wave:

Moynihan not signed by us but has 5 points in 3 games, wonder if he gets a chance with Utica at some point this year.

I don't have any objections to Moynihan getting onto the Comets roster for a shot. He is on an AHL contract with the Comets and their center depth is for the *****. However, I don't place much stock in big numbers in the ECHL translating to anything special. The Comets have signed some of the best offensive players in the entire ECHL to PTOs over the past couple of seasons and they have put up almost 0 points altogether. That included the ECHL playoff MVP, the top scorers of some teams, and league all stars.

I expect to see more centers trotted through here until they find something that's better than Darcy, Woods, and Cassels. If Goldobin and Boucher are called up or injured, look for the Comets to be as bad as they were in 2015-16.The goal scoring prowess after those two falls off the cliff. Archi becomes the best they have with Megna, Chaput, LaBate, and Bancks following up. None of them will put up the numbers of Goldy and Bouch. After the 5 second-to-third level scorers there are a plethora of failed efforts. Hamilton, Woods, Darcy, Cassels, Laplante, Carcone, D'Aoust, and Molino will struggle mightily to put any significant numbers if they aren't on the ice with the BIG 2. This whole crew will be hard pressed to put up 2-3 goals/game. 2.? GPG won't win many games in this league without a lights out, full team defensive effort night after night. Right now the numbers say they are doing just that. How misleading #s can be. It's not the strength of team D. It's been the strength of one goalie and a league leading PP spearheaded by Boucher and Goldobin. Demko can't be expected to carry a team for 76 games and we are talking about what happens to the Comets without those two prolific scorers.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Then why mention this if you don't care about similar prospects in other organizations?

So what if he doesn't translate seamlessly? He can continue developing in Utica then. SHL - AHL - NHL.

I don't care about those particular prospects because I'm referring to Dahlen—it's not a general AHL vs. Europe argument.

I believe Dahlen would benefit from playing in NA and I wish the Canucks were able to convince him to stay as other organizations have their prospects.

Again, you're welcome to disagree. I don't care.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I don't care about those particular prospects because I'm referring to Dahlen—it's not a general AHL vs. Europe argument.

I believe Dahlen would benefit from playing in NA and I wish the Canucks were able to convince him to stay as other organizations have their prospects.

Again, you're welcome to disagree. I don't care.

I also believe he can benefit from playing in NA but he can also benefit playing in the SHL no? Both have there pros and cons. As long as he's playing in a top tier league that is superior to his prior league, the Allsvenskan, in competition. As long as he continues his upward trajectory in development and ends up as a top 6 winger for the Canucks it doesn't matter if he develops in the SHL or AHL for his 19/20 year old season. Having a personal preference of him playing in Utica is fine, but him playing in the SHL like dozens of other comparable players who are developing fine over there is hardly something to get frustrated over and acting like it'll be some sort of hindrance to his development.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Elias Pettersson 2+1 so far in tonights game against Frolunda. 20 minutes left.
12 p in 12 games. Should break in to the league top 10 in points when the night is over.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the good news is dahlen is clearly bouncing off the ceiling in timra. time for him to play somewhere else.

the recent shenanigans seems like it might involve helicopter parents with hockey contacts. i doubt dahlen himself or his agent reached out to switzerland. anyway, he's apparently not suffering from mono anymore so there is not a lot of excuse not to go back to the ahl as per the original plan by january at the latest. if that doesn't happen i think it is fair to assume the dahlen camp is driving the bus, but i am not unduly concerned if that is the case.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just wow!.......I can remember the days when we were following 'prospects' like Jordan Schroeder, Taylor Ellington and Yann Sauve...what happened to the Canuck prospect pool?.....all of sudden we have teenagers leading their teams in scoring in Europe; one of the best goalies in the OHL; leading scorers in the NCAA; and a couple of forwards like Lind and Gadjovich who're serious candidates for the WJC....and that's not even counting the guys in Utica like Demko, Goldobin, Chatfield and Brisebois......this may be the 'golden era' of Canuck prospects.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Just wow!.......I can remember the days when we were following 'prospects' like Jordan Schroeder, Taylor Ellington and Yann Sauve...what happened to the Canuck prospect pool?.....all of sudden we have teenagers leading their teams in scoring in Europe; one of the best goalies in the OHL; leading scorers in the NCAA; and a couple of forwards like Lind and Gadjovich who're serious candidates for the WJC....and that's not even counting the guys in Utica like Demko, Goldobin, Chatfield and Brisebois......this may be the 'golden era' of Canuck prospects.

uh we picked in the top-6 in three of four drafts and kept at least a few of the corresponding picks at the top of each round. that was bound to be a factor.

also lol at touting "serious candidates" for the WJC while bashing the all-time leading American WJC scorer

http://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/records/wjc-u20-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

Reactions: Weast and timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
uh we picked in the top-6 in three of four drafts and kept at least a few of the corresponding picks at the top of each round. that was bound to be a factor.

what exactly does that mean? that he should not be happy it's happening? that it's not unusual for the canucks? that the amount of good prospect news we've had recently is not impressive? i don't follow the point of your grinchiness.

vancity luonho said:
also lol at touting "serious candidates" for the WJC while bashing the all-time leading American WJC scorer

http://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/records/wjc-u20-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

possible wjc selection to team canada is a very positive thing for a d+1 2nd or 3rd round pick and is not "bound to happen" . it's a lot less likely to happen than an american wjc selection for a 1st rounder, which is close to automatic. also, schroeder's wjc career is an outlier. every other player in the top 30 on that list born in the last 50 years had a solid nhl career except jordan.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
what exactly does that mean? that he should not be happy it's happening? that it's not unusual for the canucks? that the amount of good prospect news we've had recently is not impressive? i don't follow the point of your grinchiness.

Possibly he was answering the poster who quite literally asked “what happened to the Canuck prospect pool?”.

Reactions: vancityluongo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Possibly he was answering the poster who quite literally asked “what happened to the Canuck prospect pool?”.

i notice you seem to do a lot of posting about other people's discussions rather than just expressing your own opinions about the subject being discussed. are you some kind of special interpretative aide mod here?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Don't give a f*** what anyone says, Benning has made the Canucks have one of the best prospect pools in history.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
i notice you seem to do a lot of posting about other people's discussions rather than just expressing your own opinions about the subject being discussed. are you some kind of special interpretative aide mod here?

So you didn’t notice that part then?

Happy to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad