Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the difference in money between the NHL and AHL on an entry-level contract --about 800 grand?.....for that kind of dough, if Virtanen doesn't work his guts out in off-season you'd have to really start wondering.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What's the difference in money between the NHL and AHL on an entry-level contract --about 800 grand?.....for that kind of dough, if Virtanen doesn't work his guts out in off-season you'd have to really start wondering.

What's the difference between living in Utica... versus living in Vancouver?

About 4700km.

Jake has only himself to blame if he wants to spend another season hanging out with BadGoalie and friends (no offense to BadGoalie of course :naughty:)

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

Yup, he makes $894,000 if he plays for the Canucks and $70,000 if he plays for Utica.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
YAWN

Not impressed or have any expectations of him until he can proove it on the ice

Then just wait.

I mean, I know that was your expert opinion on players and their skills, but I honestly like that he is working out hard. I want him to succeed, he's putting in the work so lets hope.

I find it really funny your rope you have for the players that haven't proven it yet but this guy gets your little heart a beating.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I am impressed, the guy looked like a hotdog last year, look at his arms this year, completely different.

Every year there's fans that get hyped about players workout videos. It's the NHL, 99% of the league is going hard in the gym.

Would rather see what he's working on on the ice.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Every year there's fans that get hyped about players workout videos. It's the NHL, 99% of the league is going hard in the gym.

Would rather see what he's working on on the ice.

Agreed. I'm no fitness expert, but I saw him posting on social media of him doing curls as well. What he really needs, however, is functional strength and conditioning. He already is strong and biceps don't add much funcitonal strength. Of course, that was just a short video and it is entirely possible that he doesn't regularly incorporate that into training. Plus he's young, it's the summer, and everyone wants bigger arms.

Looks like he is doing a dirty bulk atm. Hopefully by camp he will be leaner and still keep the summer muscle

Noticed that too. If he comes into camp the same way he did last year, it's straight to Utica for him. I hope he realizes that.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What Jake needs is a good 4 month camp at American Top Team.

After that camp, it really won't matter HOW heavy he is because his core would be granite like.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What's the difference between living in Utica... versus living in Vancouver?

About 4700km.

Jake has only himself to blame if he wants to spend another season hanging out with BadGoalie and friends (no offense to BadGoalie of course :naughty:)

He could find a lot worse group of dudes to hang with, but hey!

LOL!! If I were Jake, I'd be trying to make my way back to Vancouver rather than hang out with me as well and that's for sure.

No offense taken. Found it quite humorous.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd put him just to see where he ends up ranking. Wouldn't expect him to be even top 15 so doesn't really matter.

He'd probably be 9th if eligible. The guy was good enough to play for Sweden at the WC's and certainly wouldn't be behind the likes of McKenzie/Cassels/Candela.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty obvious from some of those early photos that Jake didn't have an NHL body when he broke in as a 20-year old....but then Henrik and Daniel have admitted that when they broke into the League, they didn't have NHL bodies either, and lacked both stamina and strength.

With some players, the physical maturation takes more time....but in Virtanen's case you really have to wonder about a kid who comes to camp at 226 and by time he's finished in Utica, he's down to 211...which seems close to the weight he needs to play at....hopefully a lesson learned.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pretty obvious from some of those early photos that Jake didn't have an NHL body when he broke in as a 20-year old....but then Henrik and Daniel have admitted that when they broke into the League, they didn't have NHL bodies either, and lacked both stamina and strength.

With some players, the physical maturation takes more time....but in Virtanen's case you really have to wonder about a kid who comes to camp at 226 and by time he's finished in Utica, he's down to 211...which seems close to the weight he needs to play at....hopefully a lesson learned.

Nah.. thats the thing... he DID have an NHL body in the 15-16 season. He just didn't have an NHL brain. 15-16 season I got some pretty good caps of Jake playing like a real NHL player.

Then something happened in the summer of 15-16 and he didn't fully recover from that summer until December.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
If Jake hasn't learned to crash the net, use his body, and go to the dirty areas, none of this training or work on his fitness (which I'm glad to see him doing) matters

So hopefully he's learned the type of game he needs to play, because I have watched him take the puck into the zone and skate around the net too many times in his first 65 games

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Here's hoping Jake rebounds. It'll be foolish to see him with a roster spot come October unless he absolutely blows everyone away. It's on Jake.

He keeps liking photos of my younger cousin on instagram. STAY AWAY FROM HER JAKE.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
If Jake hasn't learned to crash the net, use his body, and go to the dirty areas, none of this training or work on his fitness (which I'm glad to see him doing) matters

So hopefully he's learned the type of game he needs to play, because I have watched him take the puck into the zone and skate around the net too many times in his first 65 games

He needs to watch hours of tape on Chris Kreider.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He needs to watch hours of tape on Chris Kreider.

Needs to learn how to angle his skate blades towards the goalie when recklessly crashing into the net. Although he would probably be suspended for life if he did what Kreider did to Price.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Needs to learn how to angle his skate blades towards the goalie when recklessly crashing into the net. Although he would probably be suspended for life if he did what Kreider did to Price.

Never seen this before. Pretty brutal.

Make sure you read the comments. Very very entertaining.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Never seen this before. Pretty brutal.

Make sure you read the comments. Very very entertaining.

Dudes got a highlight reel of goalie kills. I'm surprised he doesn't just stamp goalies on his jersey's shoulders ala WW2 fighter pilots.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What Jake needs is a good 4 month camp at American Top Team.

After that camp, it really won't matter HOW heavy he is because his core would be granite like.

Might be too early to speculate, but does Virtanen hang on to an NHL roster spot, at least as a fourth-liner?......if he can't beat out some of the plugs the Canucks have been auditioning for fourth line duty, you'd really be starting to panic.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Might be too early to speculate, but does Virtanen hang on to an NHL roster spot, at least as a fourth-liner?......if he can't beat out some of the plugs the Canucks have been auditioning for fourth line duty, you'd really be starting to panic.

He'd probably be better off in the AHL trying to break .3 PPG than suck with 8m a game on the 4th line. Either he makes it as top 9 or back to the AHL.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
He'd probably be better off in the AHL trying to break .3 PPG than suck with 8m a game on the 4th line. Either he makes it as top 9 or back to the AHL.

Good thing Willie isn't here anymore we hopefully won't have to go through that BS 8 minute a game crap. Not to mention how he was so appalled by everyones fitness level.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good thing Willie isn't here anymore we hopefully won't have to go through that BS 8 minute a game crap. Not to mention how he was so appalled by everyones fitness level.

Didn't Virtanen at some point mention that the gym work in Utica had brought him up to being able to play like 13 min a game? That doesn't sound like a guy who was in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA