The Prospect Thread II (McKay called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
He's so Tigers that he's practically grown cat ears.
If the Auburn varsity teams had a different name, I would be even more relieved... Or should I really wish for another selection (acknowledging that your favourite players are other guys)?

Gruß,
BSHH

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If the Auburn varsity teams had a different name, I would be even more relieved... Or should I really wish for another selection (acknowledging that your favourite players are other guys)?

Gruß,
BSHH
Favorite doesn't mean I like them more. It just means I like them more than most.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Frankly, I am probably overexcited about Mize. But Detroit has many so hopeful RHP prospects with both control and non-FB issues. Mize seems to have plus control and plus secondary offerings, which makes him a particularly glittering prize to my eyes!

Gruß,
BSHH

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Re: Vlad Jr- most of the best prospects never play in AAA because that level is typically filled with career minor leaguers, whereas AA has players with more upside.

That's not necessarily true and is more dependent on how their big club handles things and/or where their AA/AAA clubs are in terms of geographic proximity. Locally, for instance, when the Carolina Mudcats were a Double-A affiliate of the Marlins, they treated the team as their top farm, usually skipping top prospects straight to the big club from Carolina as opposed to sending them to Triple-A Albuquerque. When they changed affiliation from the Marlins to the Reds, however, that changed to the more traditional ladder system as the Reds generally send their top prospects through Triple-A Louisville on their way to the Show. The Durham Bulls, who're Triple-A, meanwhile, have seen almost every single Rays top prospect.

Reactions: MurrayBannerman

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's not necessarily true and is more dependent on how their big club handles things and/or where their AA/AAA clubs are in terms of geographic proximity. Locally, for instance, when the Carolina Mudcats were a Double-A affiliate of the Marlins, they treated the team as their top farm, usually skipping top prospects straight to the big club from Carolina as opposed to sending them to Triple-A Albuquerque. When they changed affiliation from the Marlins to the Reds, however, that changed to the more traditional ladder system as the Reds generally send their top prospects through Triple-A Louisville on their way to the Show. The Durham Bulls, who're Triple-A, meanwhile, have seen almost every single Rays top prospect.

I wonder how much the proximity is to the big club has something to do with it as well. Carolina is quite a bit closer than New Mexico to Miami and Louisville is closer to Cincy vs. Carolina. Toronto has their AAA team in Buffalo which is less than 2 hours away from Toronto vs. 9-10 hours for their AA club in New Hampshire.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
You don't really want to send guys to ABQ for a lot of reasons. Especially if they're pitchers because of the elevation.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I wonder how much the proximity is to the big club has something to do with it as well. Carolina is quite a bit closer than New Mexico to Miami and Louisville is closer to Cincy vs. Carolina. Toronto has their AAA team in Buffalo which is less than 2 hours away from Toronto vs. 9-10 hours for their AA club in New Hampshire.

Yeah I think that's what I was getting at in my geographic proximity bit.

You don't really want to send guys to ABQ for a lot of reasons. Especially if they're pitchers because of the elevation.

Unless you're Albuqerque's current MLB affiliate, Colorado, in which case you want that elevation exposure.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yea, I was talking about in context of basically everyone else. The thinking applies to Colorado Springs, too.

Colorado Springs won't be part of the equation much longer as they step down from Triple-A to Rookie ball next season and you have other similar markets in the Pioneer League footprint (in other words it won't be as much of a comparative disadvantage) but up until now the point does stand.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Brendan McKay is making a mockery of minor league hitting so far. 35.2 IP 3 ER so far. They weren't him in high A to "test him". 11 IP 0ER :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad