The Prospect Thread II (McKay called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm really high on Winker and Reed (though there's a lot of debate between Reed and Stephenson in the Reds fanbase).

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Winker doesn't have much of a ceiling. He's like a Markakis redux in terms of a general picture.

Also, updated the OP to include published lists as well as my own.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Murray's Top 101 Prospects - Pre-Season

1. Corey Seager, SS, LAD
2. Byron Buxton, OF, MIN
3. Lucas Giolito, SP, WSH
4. JP Crawford, SS, PHI
5. Nomar Mazara, OF, TEX
6. Julio Urias, SP, LAD
7. Orlando Arcia, SS, MIL
8. Tyler Glasnow, SP, PIT
9. Yoan Moncada, 2B, BOS
10. Joey Gallo, 3B, TEX
11. Nick Williams, OF, PHI
12. Lewis Brinson, OF, TEX
13. Blake Snell, SP, TB
14. Bradley Zimmer, OF, CLE
15. Alex Reyes, SP, STL
16. Jose Berrios, SP, MIN
17. Steven Matz, SP, NYM
18. Dansby Swanson, SS, ATL
19. Rafael Devers, 3B, BOS
20. Trea Turner, SS, WSH
21. Franklin Barreto, 3B, OAK
22. Manuel Margot, OF, SD
23. Austin Meadows, OF, PIT
24. Sean Manaea, SP, OAK
25. Raul Mondesi, SS, KC
26. David Dahl, OF, COL
27. Gleyber Torres, SS, CHC
28. Jeff Hoffman, SP, COL
29. Sean Newcomb, SP, ATL
30. Brendan Rodgers, SS, COL
31. Jake Thompson, SP, PHI
32. Tim Anderson, SS, CWS
33. Jose De Leon, SP, LAD
34. Andrew Benintendi, OF, BOS
35. Javier Guerra, SS, SD
36. Victor Robles, WSH
37. Jon Gray, SP, COL
38. Carson Fulmer, SP, CWS
39. Alex Bregman, SS, HOU
40. Brett Honeywell, SP, TB
41. A.J. Reed, 1B, HOU
42. Ozzie Albies, SS, ATL
43. Cody Ponce, SP, MIL
44. Jorge Alfaro, C, PHI
45. Grant Holmes, SP, LAD
46. Clint Frazier, OF, CLE
47. Archie Bradley, SP, ARI
48. Ryan McMahon, 3B, COL
49. Anderson Espinosa, SP, BOS
50. Willson Contreras, C, CHC
51. Willy Adames, SS, TB
52. Josh Hader, SP, MIL
53. Jameson Taillon, SP, PIT
54. Dillon Tate, SP, TEX
55. Hunter Harvey, SP, BAL
56. Anthony Alford, OF, TOR
57. Jesse Winker, OF, CIN
58. Brett Phillips, OF, MIL
59. Cody Reed, SP, CIN
60. Francis Martes, SP, HOU
61. Reynaldo Lopez, SP, WSH
62. Max Kepler, OF, MIN
63. Hunter Renfroe, OF, SD
64. Ian Happ, OF, CHC
65. Mark Appel, SP, PHI
66. Albert Almora, OF, CHC
67. Nick Gordon, SS, MIN
68. Robert Stephenson, SP, CIN
69. Reese McGuire, C, PIT
70. Raimel Tapia, OF, COL
71. Aaron Blair, SP, ATL
72. Josh Bell, 1B, PIT
73. Ahmed Rosario, SS, NYM
74. Brandon Drury, 3B, ARI
75. Forrest Wall, 2B, COL
76. Michael Fulmer, SP, DET
77. Taylor Guerreri, SP, TB
78. Erick Fedde, SP, WSH
79. Joe Musgrove, SP, HOU
80. Aaron Judge, OF, NYY
81. Jack Flaherty, SP, STL
82. Jorge Mateo, SS, NYY
83. Gary Sanchez, C, NYY
84. Trevor Story, SS, COL
85. Franklyn Kilome, SP, PHI
86. Kyle Zimmer, SP, KC
87. Daniel Robertson, SS, TB
88. Christian Arroyo, SS, SF
89. Conner Greene, SP, TOR
90. Alex Jackson, OF, SEA
91. Amir Garrett, SP, CIN
92. Roman Quinn, OF, PHI
93. Duane Underwood, SP, CHC
94. Drew Jackson, SS, SEA
95. Billy McKinney, OF, CHC
96. Jacob Faria, SP, TB
97. Isan Diaz, SS, MIL
98. Harold Ramirez, OF, PIT
99. Cornelius Randolph, OF, PHI
100. Braden Shipley, SP, ARI
101. Chance Sisco, C, BAL

Pretty good list. They are always tough to do. Commenting on the Twins prospects, Buxton and Berrios look to be fairly rated. I think Kepler should be a bit higher, but I understand why you would have him where he is. Personally, I'd move Nick Gordon down in the 80-100 range. He is an above average defensive prospect at SS but not elite. His bat so far has been just ok. Need to see more from him imo. Finally, I think Tyler Jay should be somewhere in the top 100. 6th overall pick in last years draft, and he pitched pretty well in A+ last year. He got off to a rocky start, but in his last 10 appearances, he only gave up 1 run and struck out 13 in 10 innings.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Pretty good list. They are always tough to do. Commenting on the Twins prospects, Buxton and Berrios look to be fairly rated. I think Kepler should be a bit higher, but I understand why you would have him where he is. Personally, I'd move Nick Gordon down in the 80-100 range. He is an above average defensive prospect at SS but not elite. His bat so far has been just ok. Need to see more from him imo. Finally, I think Tyler Jay should be somewhere in the top 100. 6th overall pick in last years draft, and he pitched pretty well in A+ last year. He got off to a rocky start, but in his last 10 appearances, he only gave up 1 run and struck out 13 in 10 innings.

I think Kepler has a lot in common with the OF guys I have in his tier. I don't think he has a ceiling of a guy like Frazier in the next tier up.

If Gordon's average power develops, he could be a very good SS prospect. Risk pushes him down.

Jay is odd because he's a relief prospect. I'm not sure I can even put him ahead of just missed guys like Touki, Bickford, Kyle Tucker, Alen Hanson, etc...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Winker doesn't have much of a ceiling. He's like a Markakis redux in terms of a general picture.

Also, updated the OP to include published lists as well as my own.

I see Winker as a 20+ HR guy with a .360+ OBP guy in the majors. He'll be a really strong bat and a really disciplined hitter which Cincinnati definitely needs more of.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
I think Kepler has a lot in common with the OF guys I have in his tier. I don't think he has a ceiling of a guy like Frazier in the next tier up.

If Gordon's average power develops, he could be a very good SS prospect. Risk pushes him down.

Jay is odd because he's a relief prospect. I'm not sure I can even put him ahead of just missed guys like Touki, Bickford, Kyle Tucker, Alen Hanson, etc...

Regarding Jay, he is being transitioned into a starting role. The Twins just didn't want to mess with him, last season, when he only had about two months with Fort Myers.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Regarding Jay, he is being transitioned into a starting role. The Twins just didn't want to mess with him, last season, when he only had about two months with Fort Myers.

I just don't think he sticks in the starting role. If he does, he's around Tate or Fulmer. Probably Tate since Fulmer is very advanced.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I see Winker as a 20+ HR guy with a .360+ OBP guy in the majors. He'll be a really strong bat and a really disciplined hitter which Cincinnati definitely needs more of.

Which is like a 3 win player. That's essentially what I see. Maybe more 15-20 homer seasons than 20+.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
I just don't think he sticks in the starting role. If he does, he's around Tate or Fulmer. Probably Tate since Fulmer is very advanced.

I think he'll stick. He made two starts last year, at Illinois, and had a bunch of extended relief appearances. Jay wasn't exclusively a one inning guy and he also has a repertoire of a starter as well. He is not just a two pitch guy. It's an experiment for sure, but he has some of the best stuff out of all the pitchers in last years draft and has really good command as well.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I think he'll stick. He made two starts last year, at Illinois, and had a bunch of extended relief appearances. Jay wasn't exclusively a one inning guy and he also has a repertoire of a starter as well. He is not just a two pitch guy. It's an experiment for sure, but he has some of the best stuff out of all the pitchers in last years draft and has really good command as well.

I think he ends up profiling like Betances. Which, is obviously great, it's just hard to leverage in prospect lists.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I think this list also shows how badly the Brewers raked the Astros over the coals on Gomez. Phillips and Gomez are both top 60 by my count and Domingo Santana has some uspide and will play a regular role with the Brewers.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Do you guys talk about the draft or do a ranking of those players at all? I'm really hoping for the Reds to take two position players in their first three picks this year. Leaning toward Rutherford and Kieboom (actually I really want them to take Kieboom regardless) but Perez and Senzel are interesting too.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Groome or Pint. Whichever one is there. In my opinion, those two have established themselves as the clear 1-2 at this point.

Senzel is my #1 position player right now.

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
David Dahl with a HR in 3 straight games, please stay healthy.

The Yardgoats are stacked, think I love that team more than the Rockies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd actually really like to see Cinci take the best bat available maybe even with their first two picks. Rutherford/Senzel/Lewis followed up with maybe Kieboom/Fraley at 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad