The pros and cons of trading Cody Franson

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
What cons? He's a decent PP guy but is absolutely replaceable in house. Hits don't win you games when you are terrible defensively

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is at best a # 5 D on any team with some PP time - and I don't think if we have a shortage of defenceman that can run our PP - so I don't see Cons

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Brett Lebda > Cody Franson

Yup, but, it still doesn't mean very much when you look at how bad Franson was last season and how much more he's getting paid this up coming season. :help:

Franson gets a raise when he was defensively dreadful this past season. :rant:

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

I also think Franson is under-rated by many. I don't think the Leafs brass is among that group. You gotta remember the attempted trade for Gorges wasn't based on Gorges ability, rather his warrior spirit. Franson needs to play with that same toughness that Leafs wanted from Gorges. If this guy would get a little nasty out there he would be tremendously effective. If paired with a guy like Rielly, he could grow more into a role of a stay at home guy, both at even strength and on the PP. He should be effective on the PK as well with his long stick. Where is the coaching for this player? He is only 26!

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I also think Franson is under-rated by many. I don't think the Leafs brass is among that group. You gotta remember the attempted trade for Gorges wasn't based on Gorges ability, rather his warrior spirit. Franson needs to play with that same toughness that Leafs wanted from Gorges. If this guy would get a little nasty out there he would be tremendously effective. If paired with a guy like Rielly, he could grow more into a role of a stay at home guy, both at even strength and on the PP. He should be effective on the PK as well with his long stick. Where is the coaching for this player? He is only 26!

So if he completely changes his game and becomes a totally different player he might be an effective middle pairing guy?

For the most part he is what he is. He will always be limited by his foot speed and his hockey IQ. And with his offensive production on the power play and impending UFA status he will be overpaid after next season.

Trade him now and get some value for him.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Pros: -we can play actual defence
- Save 2.5m by playing Granberg instead(who is a faster skater and probably better defensively)

Cons:.......... Our defence won't be so tall? I dont know help me out guys

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
he is going to be gone by next season 100%.

knowing that its best to get the best return we can for him. whether that is now, now or the deadline, whenever.

mikebel111*

Haha. You just over rated Franson.
What is so special about him?

I rather Rielly not be put in a terrible position by having Cody his partner.
And lol Franson being good on PK

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I won't say there'd be no negative side to it. But just that there isn't that much of a negative. We have better offensive talent on the blueline and that talent has something Franson doesn't have, skating ability.

You don't lose that much offense since guys can step into his spot on the top powerplay unit and you gain a spot for someone more defensively responsible.

There just isn't a good place for him on this blueline.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
ok i think i'll actually present an argument rather than hate blindly

Pros of trading franson:
1. Low footspeed
2. excess of RHD in TOR
3. lacks defensively (-20)

Cons of trading franson:
1. Best offensive dman last season.
2. huge (6'5) guy that're hard to find.
3. Physical, 2nd in hits.

I am in favor of trading the guy mostly because we're going to lose him next season. but not for the garbage 3rd round pick or 3rd rate prospect that people seem to think we can get. There's a good market for RHD and an even better for those who can score like Franson.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
ok i think i'll actually present an argument rather than hate blindly

Pros of trading franson:
1. Low footspeed
2. excess of RHD in TOR
3. lacks defensively (-20)

Cons of trading franson:
1. Best offensive dman last season.
2. huge (6'5) guy that're hard to find.
3. Physical, 2nd in hits.

I am in favor of trading the guy mostly because we're going to lose him next season. but not for the garbage 3rd round pick or 3rd rate prospect that people seem to think we can get. There's a good market for RHD and an even better for those who can score like Franson.

Well, had Nonis sold Franson high, we could have at least a 1st/2nd round pick for him. Right now, a 3rd round pick might be better than none. We need to stock pile draft picks for the sake of this franchise and Nonis had wasted... :rant:

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Well, had Nonis sold Franson high, we could have at least a 1st/2nd round pick for him. Right now, a 3rd round pick might be better than none. We need to stock pile draft picks for the sake of this franchise and Nonis had wasted... :rant:

you're right we probably would've gotten a better value last season but that ship has sailed :( , i still think many teams could need a offensive RHD. Detroit, for example could really use a RHD and we can get some good prospects in return rather than a 3rd round pick which mostly amounts to nothing

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What cons? He's a decent PP guy but is absolutely replaceable in house. Hits don't win you games when you are terrible defensively

Our highest scoring D who is also the only offensive right handed shot on the back end is easily replaceable in house ? There are a few flaws with that logic unless by replace you mean downgrade offensively to upgrade defensively.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Our highest scoring D who is also the only offensive right handed shot on the back end is easily replaceable in house ? There are a few flaws with that logic unless by replace you mean downgrade offensively to upgrade defensively.

You don't need to have 4/6 players that are good at offence, besides Fransons shot he can't do anything. I'd rather have someone that can play defence as a defensemen then someone that can take a shot as a defensemen

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Well you know, we did finish 5th in goals given up, so perhaps that might be an area we work on instead of a freakin shot on the PP that finished tied with 42 other guys for 66th in PP goals. By the way, he finished the year tied with Morgan Rielly, the same Morgan Rielly who can't shoot, for PP goals on our team, with 1 minute more per game on the PP and behind Gardiner and Phaneuf. That same Rielly had 6 less assists on the PP. I think we'll live

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad