The Price of winning: Habs win 3-1

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Well that's just your opinion, I could say ''He hasn't played better since being scratched'' and it would hold the same weight.

You could say that about anybody's opinion that doesn't rely on stats, right? I mean, just because a player doesn't get any points, doesn't mean he didn't play great or he played bad.

He hadn't done anything in the 15 games prior to his scratch and he recently had a great game vs Florida and an alright game vs Columbus.

He deserved to be scratched. He's an unproven rookie. People getting mad at the coach for scratching a rookie is just ridiculous. PK Subban was scratched once but that didn't ruin his development. Seguin was scratched in the playoffs for Boston too.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I swear this is true: I woke up, looked outside, saw it was smoggy, said 'goddammit Michel....'

You guys are into my head

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
You could say that about anybody's opinion that doesn't rely on stats, right? I mean, just because a player doesn't get any points, doesn't mean he didn't play great or he played bad.

He hadn't done anything in the 15 games prior to his scratch and he recently had a great game vs Florida and an alright game vs Columbus.

He deserved to be scratched. He's an unproven rookie. People getting mad at the coach for scratching a rookie is just ridiculous. PK Subban was scratched once but that didn't ruin his development. Seguin was scratched in the playoffs for Boston too.

People have a right to be mad at the coach, Sekac still is a better and more effective player than Bournival, Weise, Thomas, Prust, DLR and Malhotra. It's ridiculous to bench a player like Sekac who's shown he's actually a good 3rd line player and icing a worst roster than you would have just because he's going through a slump. He's also been put in a more prominent role since being inserted back into the lineup, which can explain why he's been more noticeable. Tbh, him and Eller have been very unlucky in their slump, they've had their fair share of chances. Especially recently since being inserted into the top 6, if they keep this up they're going to start producing soon.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Lars Eller had a Brian Savage hot streak with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. The line pretty much went cold aside from one game and soon, Brendan Gallagher was taken off the line. People freaked out saying the line was broken up despite it only being one player. Galchenyuk still put up points while Eller went cold. Eventually Galchenyuk was then taken off the line and the new narrative was Eller isn't given good wingers. In the playoffs he suddenly starts scoring with one of those "not good wingers' in Bourque but almost exclusively during home games. Come the next season, Eller once again goes cold and this time doesn't have a fancy hot streak to the start the season. Instead it's all banking on his play in the playoffs. Fernando Pisani moves up and down the lineup, loses his center spot and despite playing with Plekanec and Sekac still can't get anything done.

None of this is his fault though. It's all Therrien. Nothing is ever Eller's responsibility.
I have hoped Eller could notch it up or at least maintain the play he once had.Man he looked lost last night,out of position,threw the puck away.Really wonder what's going on in his head.I have been a defender of Eller for quite some time but he has to show some spark real soon or I think he;s done.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Lars Eller had a Brian Savage hot streak with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. The line pretty much went cold aside from one game and soon, Brendan Gallagher was taken off the line. People freaked out saying the line was broken up despite it only being one player. Galchenyuk still put up points while Eller went cold. Eventually Galchenyuk was then taken off the line and the new narrative was Eller isn't given good wingers. In the playoffs he suddenly starts scoring with one of those "not good wingers' in Bourque but almost exclusively during home games. Come the next season, Eller once again goes cold and this time doesn't have a fancy hot streak to the start the season. Instead it's all banking on his play in the playoffs. Fernando Pisani moves up and down the lineup, loses his center spot and despite playing with Plekanec and Sekac still can't get anything done.

None of this is his fault though. It's all Therrien. Nothing is ever Eller's responsibility.
That actually isn't entirely true. The EGG line got broken up to get other lines going after only 3 games into the season despite being the only line scoring. It was returned back together a couple of games later, but kept getting broken up every few games or so. They were playing well even if they didn't score every game, something almost everyone on this board admitted at the time. All three spoke about how they getting adjusted to facing tougher matchups. After a little dry run, they had a three point game, and then two games later the line was broken up.

As for Eller going cold and Galchenyuk producing without him. That isn't true. Chucky was taken away from Eller at the 30th game mark, and just before that, Eller had 8 points in the 13 game prior to that. After Chucky was taken away, he went ice cold. Also important is that his ice time was cut dramatically. He went from playing around 13 min a game at ES, to about 8-10 for a good string of games despite having a productive stretch a games right before that.

It doesn't really matter. Eller is done with the Habs anyway. You never got the sense that MT liked him very much going back to his AC days where he regularly mocked him and benching him the first game of the shortened season with no training camp.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well... a win is a win, but where the **** is our secondary scoring?

Where the *** is our primary scoring at all. There's Max. Then there's the rest. One player is not enough. A bunch of 15-20 goal scorers. Galchenyuk is close to be lot better than that but he's not totally there yet and MT will never play him where he should play so doesn't matter. There's Plekanec but he has defensive duties. Our primary scoring outside of Max is provided by centers who can't play a primary offensive role to protect MT favorite player.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
how come bergevin hasnt fired therrien yet?very strange
I presume this is meant to be a sarcastic version of 'DA RECORD!'.

On a more serious basis, one would think a club's GM has to make more detailed analysis of his team than W-L. At the very least, seeing that we have the 15th-ranked offense of the 16 playoff teams is an issue. Hell, there are several non-playoff clubs who score more than us. We're also bottom-half of the league in shot generation & shot prevention. We're winning games largely because our goalie is having a Hart+Vezina-calibre season. That's not a recipe for sustainable success; it's a recipe to run into a well-rounded, well-coached team in the playoffs and get torn apart.

I'd love to know what MB really thinks of MT's coaching this season. If he thinks it's been good... we're boned. Plain & simple.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Wow I might be late at the party but anyone caught Desharnais secondary assist on Pacioretty 2nd goal? He literally just stood leaned forward for 10 seconds while the play devleopped, really funny at 2:55

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Wow I might be late at the party but anyone caught Desharnais secondary assist on Pacioretty 2nd goal? He literally just stood leaned forward for 10 seconds while the play devleopped, really funny at 2:55

Dubinsky is such a little weasel hooking and grabbing. No wonder Crosby hate his face.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Had to work last night so I didn't get the watch the game until after 2am, so I apologize for not being around to join in on the Therrien hate. So I'll just make two points here for everyone to enjoy!

1. Beaulieu was the best player on the ice for both teams (besides Price, but he's not really a player; more of a God).
2. Therrien is dumb and I'm tired of Rogers agenda of pumping Desharnais and Therrien's tires for some odd reason. They could at least choose times when they do something well, not just for doing sweet **** all.

Cheers

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
That actually isn't entirely true. The EGG line got broken up to get other lines going after only 3 games into the season despite being the only line scoring. It was returned back together a couple of games later, but kept getting broken up every few games or so. They were playing well even if they didn't score every game, something almost everyone on this board admitted at the time. All three spoke about how they getting adjusted to facing tougher matchups. After a little dry run, they had a three point game, and then two games later the line was broken up.

As for Eller going cold and Galchenyuk producing without him. That isn't true. Chucky was taken away from Eller at the 30th game mark, and just before that, Eller had 8 points in the 13 game prior to that. After Chucky was taken away, he went ice cold. Also important is that his ice time was cut dramatically. He went from playing around 13 min a game at ES, to about 8-10 for a good string of games despite having a productive stretch a games right before that.

It doesn't really matter. Eller is done with the Habs anyway. You never got the sense that MT liked him very much going back to his AC days where he regularly mocked him and benching him the first game of the shortened season with no training camp.
I remember this and also other lines being broken up so Therrien could get his little pet midget DDH scoring. MB needs to get rid of DDH and Therrien if he doesn't like it.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
People have a right to be mad at the coach, Sekac still is a better and more effective player than Bournival, Weise, Thomas, Prust, DLR and Malhotra. It's ridiculous to bench a player like Sekac who's shown he's actually a good 3rd line player and icing a worst roster than you would have just because he's going through a slump. He's also been put in a more prominent role since being inserted back into the lineup, which can explain why he's been more noticeable. Tbh, him and Eller have been very unlucky in their slump, they've had their fair share of chances. Especially recently since being inserted into the top 6, if they keep this up they're going to start producing soon.

Bournival has been benched a lot. What's the problem? While I agree that benching him COULD prove to be very negative, he should not absolved of any wrong doing. Fact of the matter was that while he was pretty good on the boards, Sekac wasn't driving the net with the same 'aplomb' as earlier. Against Florida, he was dynamite. That's how he should play all the time, because the talent is there to do so.

Rookies get benched all the time, it's part of the process. Every rookie experienced it, in major sports everywhere. Unless, you're a freaking phenom.

What is more disturbing to me is the end of this interview:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201502/19/01-4845491-le-second-depart-de-jiri-sekac.php

MAG seems to imply (maybe I'm wrong, but...) that Sekac's integration with his teammates hasn't been easy.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Fact of the matter was that while he was pretty good on the boards, Sekac wasn't driving the net with the same 'aplomb' as earlier.

Fact is, he has been playing with guys who can't get the puck out of the corner TO the front of the net. Playing with Prust and Eller is just a front row seat for watching pucks dragged to the corner and mucked around the boards for a while. Go to the net all you want, but you'll miss their dump along the boards that you know is coming...

So... go to the net "like you're supposed to", or support the only puck play that your linemates are capable of "like you're supposed to"... I can see how a guy like Sekac would be caught in limbo there.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Fact is, he has been playing with guys who can't get the puck out of the corner TO the front of the net. Playing with Prust and Eller is just a front row seat for watching pucks dragged to the corner and mucked around the boards for a while. Go to the net all you want, but you'll miss their dump along the boards that you know is coming...

So... go to the net "like you're supposed to", or support the only puck play that your linemates are capable of "like you're supposed to"... I can see how a guy like Sekac would be caught in limbo there.

He's a North-South player. Take control and drive the net. He was being way too passive.

Blaming others to give you the puck is one thing; taking control of the puck and driving the net is another. Sekac is in our top-5 players when controlling the puck in flight and driving the net. Against the Panthers, he proved it. He needs to rince and repeat. All the time. That's his forte.

I don't like how this moron of a coach uses him. But he needs to be more assertive with the puck. Therrien has this thing that he uses alot: I'll give you obstacles, you prove me wrong. He did the same with A LOT of our youngster. It's his way of coaching. Always was. On montre pas à un vieux singe comment faire la grimace. Some came on strong, like Gallagher, others have just crumbled, like Eller.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He's a North-South player. Take control and drive the net. He was being way too passive.

Blaming others to give you the puck is one thing; taking control of the puck and driving the net is another. Sekac is in our top-5 players when controlling the puck in flight and driving the net. Against the Panthers, he proved it. He needs to rince and repeat. All the time. That's his forte.

I don't like how this moron of a coach uses him. But he needs to be more assertive with the puck. Therrien has this thing that he uses alot: I'll give you obstacles, you prove me wrong. He did the same with A LOT of our youngster. It's his way of coaching. Always was. On montre pas à un vieux singe comment faire la grimace. Some came on strong, like Gallagher, others have just crumbled, like Eller.

Easier to do when you get the puck in positions where this is actually an option. I don't think you realize how often Eller is the one carrying the puck into the zone, and how often it ends up in a puck battle in the corner vs a pass to someone else in a position to make an actual choice about carrying the puck any further or not. He goes to the net all the time. And then has to circle behind it because the guys he's with can't get it off the boards or out of the corners without him.

Analyzer*

Great fight between Thomas and Calvert.

To me, it looks like Tinordi is trying to do too much.

The goal we gave up was weak all around. Markov got tricked/couldn't judge Anisimov's speed and, while it wouldn't have mattered I didn't like seeing Subban skate by the net. Though, he's probably seen our forwards do it so many ****ing times he's forgotten that you're suppose to stop at the net to score and prevent goals.

Beaulieu was really good.

A bunch of forwards sucked again.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I presume this is meant to be a sarcastic version of 'DA RECORD!'.

On a more serious basis, one would think a club's GM has to make more detailed analysis of his team than W-L. At the very least, seeing that we have the 15th-ranked offense of the 16 playoff teams is an issue. Hell, there are several non-playoff clubs who score more than us. We're also bottom-half of the league in shot generation & shot prevention. We're winning games largely because our goalie is having a Hart+Vezina-calibre season. That's not a recipe for sustainable success; it's a recipe to run into a well-rounded, well-coached team in the playoffs and get torn apart.

I'd love to know what MB really thinks of MT's coaching this season. If he thinks it's been good... we're boned. Plain & simple.

My guess is MB has enough self awareness to understand that a large part of the scoring problems lead back to the players he's given MT. We are missing three key pieces in our top 6 and no one in our bottom 6 has a proven track record of producing offence in the NHL. I'm sure MB is aware of this.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
I swear this is true: I woke up, looked outside, saw it was smoggy, said 'goddammit Michel....'

You guys are into my head

'Goddammit Michel' is officially now the Québécois version of 'Thanks Obama'. :laugh:

Anyway, about scratching rookies. If a rookie can't handle a healthy scratch, if his career and confidence is irreversibly destroyed by a coach telling him "you don't play tonight", I don't want that guy in my team. He hasn't got a chance anyway.

Remember that scene in the Rocket where Dick says to Maurice that he's not playing that game, and Maurice just raises hell, destroys a trashcan and leaves completely pissed, then Dick goes "That's what I want"?

Well that's what we want. Plex spent 3 years in the AHL, Subban got benched and scratched and tossed and yelled at, Pacioretty's rise was pretty darn rocky, Price got literally replaced for half a season and the playoffs by Halak... these guys are pro athletes, not scared puppies.

Sekac played well tonight. I was satisfied. He hit the post, was active, and didn't have one massive derp all game. I'm k with that. Sekac, despite the hype, will take time to become a consistent force in the NHL.

void

Jan 5, 2006

ROFL this is actually really funny :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad