Post-Game Talk: The Price of a Petry dish full of Tuna Tatar ! Habs win 5-1 vs EDM

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
What happens when you don't have a gamebreaker is that you are more prone to losing tight games even when you hang with a team that does have them, or significantly outplay them.

The other side of the argument is that the habs have price, who can be a gambreaker as far as goalies go, and maybe he will have more opportunity to show his game breaking abilities if he gets the proper rest with Jake Allen picking up some workload.

I know the score said 5-1, but price was a low key gamebreaker because its not like the oilers didn't have several opportunities of their own.

We totally dominated the first half of the game. I agree the turning point is probably the miss chance by RNH and then Evans goes the other way and makes it a 4 to 0 game. Price was really good last night and didn't let the Oilers back in the game by allowing a goal, but I also feel we were in control all game long. At 4-0 we started slightly to remove the foot off the gas pedal. It's fun to see the Habs impose their tempo and style of play instead of sitting back and letting the other team dictate the pace of the game. I think we can play a various style, we can play physical, we can play a good transition game, im not sure we can go toe to toe in an all offensive game with the Leafs yet, but I feel we are a well balanced and we can win several different ways. Some nights, the top line will not play well but the other 3 lines will provide us enough goals to win. We are not a 2 or 3 headed monster like some other teams. Lets just hope we can stay healthy.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I feel the same way , we don't have game breakers like the Leafs or Oilers, but we have a well balanced team. Some nights the game breakers will give a team like Toronto a win that they didn't deserve. We are well coached and our young players are just at the top of the iceberg. Fan bases only look at last year's roster and expect us to bottom out again. Price and Allen are an amazing duo, our defense is nasty and mean, and Petry is so underated. Can you imagne all the hype Petry would get on the Leafs? When you have Toffoli on a 3rd line that means the offence is well balanced. If Drouin can have a solid season, I think he is one of the guys that can make the Habs a great team and not just a good team. There is so many intangibles this year, but I feel very confident with this team. I think this is the best team we had in a long long time.
This is the best team since the year we lost to Flyers in ploffs.

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
I swear Habs could finish first in the division and have a winning record versus every team and every other fanbase would think the Habs suck.

Personally I don't care but it's always fun to see others shit on the Habs
Or like how Price is overrated till they need an excuse and he's a cheat code in nets and carrying us.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Thanks for blasting us, guys.
Rather you than Leafs, Nucks or Flames.
I’m sure oilers are much better than last night, but people here are happy because we see big improvements with all the off-season moves, not just smoke and mirrors or 1 or 2 players carrying team.

Reactions: Coffey

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Even worst, someone proclaimed "this is it, we've found our #1D, we've found our #1C, we're now contenders!" after beating last year's 12th best team, highest ranked team of our division last year. Our division is incredibly weak defensively, but has a lot of firepower.

Let's wait till next time we meet Tampa...

That was me. I was obviously joking. :laugh:

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
This verison of the Habs is looking more and more like the late 80's Habs. Grit ,Skill and Toughness, guys like Naslund, Smith, Richer, Courntall, (Suzuki, Toffoli, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Drouin) also great grit with McPhee, Skrudland, Lemieux, Nilan (Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, and good defensive players like Carbonneau and Gainey (Danault, Lehkonen, Evans). Our defense was also solid with veterans like Green, Ludwig, Lalor, (Edmundson, Chariot) and leaders like Chelios and Robinson (Weber, Petry and Romanov). Roy and Hayward were the best duo back then and Price and Allen might be a top 3 duo, if not the best.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah that one's gonna be used a lot this year

It's always been one extreme or the other with the outside world in regards to price.

Price is paid 9 million bucks for reason. Should the habs make any apologies for him potentially being a difference maker for this club.

I'm used to seeing the argument that the habs only won because of price... And I'm often thinking to myself (whether it's an exaggeration or not) ..... So what?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Such sour grapes on the Oilers board, the best comment was something like, we know the Oilers will get better but the Habs will not... what? we have a few new comers who will get acclimated with our system and guys like Toffoli will get better.
It is super ridiculous lol. Toffoli is still adjusting, Armia looks rusty, Weber has been very pedestrian, Lehkonen has been mediocre, and Kotkaniemi is better than how he is playing now.

Let's see how the Oilers do with like 5 good players on that team.

Reactions: Roadhouse

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It is super ridiculous lol. Toffoli is still adjusting, Armia looks rusty, Weber has been very pedestrian, Lehkonen has been mediocre, and Kotkaniemi is better than how he is playing now.

Let's see how the Oilers do with like 5 good players on that team.

Its even more ridiculous when you look at his game closer, and see that he could easily be right there with Petry as the scoring leader on this club given the chances he's had.

You worry about guys like toffoli when they aren't able to find their chances. That simply hasn't been the case.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't read the thread but the only thing about the game that sucked last night was that terrible play by play on sportsnet, the way he called the goals made my ears bleed.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I haven't read the thread but the only thing about the game that sucked last night was that terrible play by play on sportsnet, the way he called the goals made my ears bleed.
Same....till I saw it was the Indian guy....he’s not calling it in his native tongue so I get the lack of conviction in his calls.

Reactions: Doc5 and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad