Post-Game Talk: The Price of a Petry dish full of Tuna Tatar ! Habs win 5-1 vs EDM

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
One of the more fun battles to watch yesterday was the Romanov v Poolparty stuff that was going on. Is there a history between these guys because it seemed rather intense and personal?

Their ice time just seemed to match, so they had some battles that got heated due to that I assume. They were giving it to each other good, loved when Poolparty flashed that big grin at Romanov.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Late bloomer Petry is becoming a top performing D in this league. I would argue that he is our #1 D.
I've been saying this for more than a year, and I have championed his re-signing extensively. That decision was a no-brainer to me. He is still a formidable defender, and that trade with the Oilers, years back, remains one of MB's top acts of larceny.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs with a 34.8% faceoff success ratio after two games, good for 23rd place (most teams have played 2 games, one team one game and 3 teams with 3 games).

Of course, we're still in small sample size territory.

Last season's faceoff success ratio was 48.6%, a 15th place ranking.

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Oilers Have 27 million committed to 3 forwards, those are definitely the three most talented players and are paid accordingly but there's not much after that. They have not surrounded McDavid and Draisaitl very well.

"They" has been several head office incompetents. It's funny how they don't seem capable of adding reliable long term depth while Bergevin just keeps piling it and doesn't know what to do with it.

Like you, I agree paying your best players top dollar but roster construction is both an art and science and is a relentless pursuit -- I think they really flubbed when they placed too much trust on some of their alumni players who clearly were great players but out of their element in terms of management appointments.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
"They" has been several head office incompetents. It's funny how they don't seem capable of adding reliable long term depth while Bergevin just keeps piling it and doesn't know what to do with it.

Like you, I agree paying your best players top dollar but roster construction is both an art and science and is a relentless pursuit -- I think they really flubbed when they placed too much trust on some of their alumni players who clearly were great players but out of their element in terms of management appointments.
As bad as things have been in hab land, I can't even begin to fathom how bad it must be for Oilers fans. All of those number one picks over so many years and still not really considered to be a good team. Their D and goaltending is not very good at all and if McD and Drai don't get the team to 5 goals it will be tough for them to be successful.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As bad as things have been in hab land, I can't even begin to fathom how bad it must be for Oilers fans. All of those number one picks over so many years and still not really considered to be a good team. Their D and goaltending is not very good at all and if McD and Drai don't get the team to 5 goals it will be tough for them to be successful.

Still, they had the best record of all Canadian teams last year. A competent GM would turn it around quickly. The biggest mistake was the Hall trade. Should've waited for better options. Or trade Drai for a #1D.

Reactions: OldCraig71

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-1-17_14-51-11.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Such sour grapes on the Oilers board, the best comment was something like, we know the Oilers will get better but the Habs will not... what? we have a few new comers who will get acclimated with our system and guys like Toffoli will get better.

It’s their forum so if they feel that crapping on other teams is going to make them feel better, have at it. They could also choose to focus on that exciting offensive talent they have and look forward to better days.

Imagine the privilege of watching Connor McDavid on your favourite team over the next decade. They have it so good, they should know better.

Reactions: HabsMD97

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It’s their forum so if they feel that crapping on other teams is going to make them feel better, have at it. They could also choose to focus on that exciting offensive talent they have and look forward to better days.

Imagine the privilege of watching Connor McDavid on your favourite team over the next decade. They have it so good, they should know better.

I admit I'd be sour if my team had had so much offensive talent for a long time but without the results. I mean, they have made the playoffs twice in five years with McD and only once past the first round.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs with a 34.8% faceoff success ratio after two games, good for 23rd place (most teams have played 2 games, one team one game and 3 teams with 3 games).

Of course, we're still in small sample size territory.

Last season's faceoff success ratio was 48.6%, a 15th place ranking.

For comparison, how did they do as a group in the bubble? I don't think they struggled this much back then.

Right now, Danault seems like the only one doing well on draws. Thats one of the drawbacks for being extremely young at center, but Evans has shown he can hang in the circle in the past even though its a small sample size, and suzuki strikes me as the kind of player who doesn't need much time to become effective in the faceoff circle.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Such sour grapes on the Oilers board, the best comment was something like, we know the Oilers will get better but the Habs will not... what? we have a few new comers who will get acclimated with our system and guys like Toffoli will get better.
if you spent enough time on their board you'd think they were the tampa bay lightning instead of a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 3 years, as Therrien would say, "there's a lack of rispec"

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I admit I'd be sour if my team had had so much offensive talent for a long time but without the results. I mean, they have made the playoffs twice in five years with McD and only once past the first round.

True that banners hang forever. I get the frustration, the team has been mismanaged.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

If they stay this bad, I can definitely see him asking for a trade well before his contract is up.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Face-offs are one of my concern going forward with this team. We blamed CJ for putting Danault on the ice in OT, but I understand why he does it. He's the only reliable face off man we have and in OT the goal is to gain possession of the puck. Face off losses in our zone will cost us some key goals especially late in periods or in the game. I love Evans , he's the perfect 4th line C but we all know Bergevin will acquire a veteran player at the deadline if we are in the hunt.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

Hahahaha I went to spy as well and it's like they all take us for fools thinking we're contenders and super arrogant.

Their tone is so condescending saying things like "oh wow, now we just made the Habs fans think they're contenders now" or "no worries, we have the better team and it's like a preseason game with points, we'll dominate soon enough".

Dude, we know that we finished in the bottom of the league last year. We know we're not perfect. We know we're never gonna be cup contenders until proven otherwise. But we also know that we don't have the shittiest defence in the North Division. It's so easy to underestimate other teams when you don't look into the depth and the potential of their lineup. It's not because Sportsnet and TSN are only sniffing Toronto's and Edmonton's butt that Montreal is irrelevant. It's not because Spittin Chiclets with Whit and Biz having their big noses up Matthews and Marner's butt that Montreal is irrelevant.

This is a new year, a new season with a different team from last year. We still have IMO the best goaltender in the league, let alone in the North division. We have no superstars but we have promising young players that are only scratching the surface of their potential. If we plan hard, put pressure and bring speed, we can inflict damage to anyone in this division. We are not contenders, we are underdogs. We are dangerous. I don't care about other fan bases thinking we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, etc. We just got to prove everybody wrong.

Podcasts putting Vancouver over us to be in the playoffs. Vancouver has not defense. Calgary has no defense. Toronto has no defense. Edmonton has an ECHL defense. Ottawa has a young dynamic defense. But on paper, we have probably the most balanced defense in Canada. The hate for the Habs from the rest of the country and the medias and the podcasts is so much more present this year than any other year. It's nauseating. But sweet at the same time.

Reactions: Roadhouse and ChikN

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Hahahaha I went to spy as well and it's like they all take us for fools thinking we're contenders and super arrogant.

Their tone is so condescending saying things like "oh wow, now we just made the Habs fans think they're contenders now" or "no worries, we have the better team and it's like a preseason game with points, we'll dominate soon enough".

Dude, we know that we finished in the bottom of the league last year. We know we're not perfect. We know we're never gonna be cup contenders until proven otherwise. But we also know that we don't have the shittiest defence in the North Division. It's so easy to underestimate other teams when you don't look into the depth and the potential of their lineup. It's not because Sportsnet and TSN are only sniffing Toronto's and Edmonton's butt that Montreal is irrelevant. It's not because Spittin Chiclets with Whit and Biz having their big noses up Matthews and Marner's butt that Montreal is irrelevant.

This is a new year, a new season with a different team from last year. We still have IMO the best goaltender in the league, let alone in the North division. We have no superstars but we have promising young players that are only scratching the surface of their potential. If we plan hard, put pressure and bring speed, we can inflict damage to anyone in this division. We are not contenders, we are underdogs. We are dangerous. I don't care about other fan bases thinking we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, etc. We just got to prove everybody wrong.

Podcasts putting Vancouver over us to be in the playoffs. Vancouver has not defense. Calgary has no defense. Toronto has no defense. Edmonton has an ECHL defense. Ottawa has a young dynamic defense. But on paper, we have probably the most balanced defense in Canada. The hate for the Habs from the rest of the country and the medias and the podcasts is so much more present this year than any other year. It's nauseating. But sweet at the same time.
I'm pretty sure they hate Habs fans more than they hate the Habs.

Reactions: Jabba11

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So do I to be honest :D
As do I, there were so many games over the last 5 years where teams simply kept us tight to the boards and there was nothing we could do about it. It was the reason that so many games against western teams were so difficult for us. I like this new direction, I have always wanted it, I am not a fan of tiny guys trying to play a big game, it doesn't work.

Reactions: Runner77

thewall

Jul 9, 2010

I feel the same way , we don't have game breakers like the Leafs or Oilers, but we have a well balanced team. Some nights the game breakers will give a team like Toronto a win that they didn't deserve. We are well coached and our young players are just at the top of the iceberg. Fan bases only look at last year's roster and expect us to bottom out again. Price and Allen are an amazing duo, our defense is nasty and mean, and Petry is so underated. Can you imagne all the hype Petry would get on the Leafs? When you have Toffoli on a 3rd line that means the offence is well balanced. If Drouin can have a solid season, I think he is one of the guys that can make the Habs a great team and not just a good team. There is so many intangibles this year, but I feel very confident with this team. I think this is the best team we had in a long long time.

Reactions: Redux91 and Jabba11

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I feel the same way , we don't have game breakers like the Leafs or Oilers, but we have a well balanced team. Some nights the game breakers will give a team like Toronto a win that they didn't deserve. We are well coached and our young players are just at the top of the iceberg. Fan bases only look at last year's roster and expect us to bottom out again. Price and Allen are an amazing duo, our defense is nasty and mean, and Petry is so underated. Can you imagne all the hype Petry would get on the Leafs? When you have Toffoli on a 3rd line that means the offence is well balanced. If Drouin can have a solid season, I think he is one of the guys that can make the Habs a great team and not just a good team. There is so many intangibles this year, but I feel very confident with this team. I think this is the best team we had in a long long time.

What happens when you don't have a gamebreaker is that you are more prone to losing tight games even when you hang with a team that does have them, or significantly outplay them.

The other side of the argument is that the habs have price, who can be a gambreaker as far as goalies go, and maybe he will have more opportunity to show his game breaking abilities if he gets the proper rest with Jake Allen picking up some workload.

I know the score said 5-1, but price was a low key gamebreaker because its not like the oilers didn't have several opportunities of their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad