Post-Game Talk: THE PRICE IS WRONG - Oilers Lose

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don't mind me. its not every year I can come into a season thinking the Oilers actually improved the team. Additions of Barrie, Kahun, I like. Turris probably also helps.

But in my perspective, and people can challenge me on this. Barrie is the most talented D we have brought in since Pronger, i mean not comparing the two, obviously, just so rare that we bring in very skilled D help. Barrie is miles more talented, and particuarly in offensive support than say Larsson, Sekera, etc. Been waiting a long time for a D like Barrie and its more than just him. he will soon as he figures out schemes be modeling better breakouts to our other D, and guys like Bear, Nurse, Jones, they will all benefit. maybe even Larsson. Barrie is a good emulator. He's a very composed D that is able to stop time out on ice, a rare quality. He makes moves that puzzle D coverage, they don't expect, and this usually buys him a couple extra seconds to make the play he wants. This is going to be huge for us.

We miss Klefbom in back end, and around our net. we sure won't be missing broken Klefbom shots on the PP or in offensive zone.

I even enjoyed some of last night. because of how filthy skilled Barrie is. Been a longtime since I enjoyed an Oilers Defenceman this much. I was never on the Sekera train, I thought his skillset was overrated.
Barrie is extremely skilled for sure.
The issue is, and has been for the season to this point is, our core as a whole can't defend worth shit. It's early but so far Bear has taken a step back, Larsson is as hit and miss as last year and Jones is simply not a full time NHLer right now.

Now all of that can change, I hope it does but who knows.

I could see this team be very hit or miss and allowing a crap ton of goals this year. For sure we will score a crap ton so I think a winning record is likely but this team defensively doesn't seem there.

It's extremely early and defense often takes a bit more to get back into the flow.

I'd say the thing the team should focus on for the next few is to clean up in their own end and work on their possession game as of right now they are bottom 5 in the league for it and they shouldn't be. It's definitely something they can and should clean up.

Goaltending will suck all year but with Covid there is very little that can be done now to fix that

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Thing is 2/3 games we've loaded up the first line and they aren't doing the heavy lifting. Additionally Drai is seeing more own zone starts than first line and also sees pk spot duty. We're riding that horse already.
Its critical for McD-nuge to start outmatching opponents in games, consistently, like in game 2. Whoever gets Nuge should be pulling more cart.

Couldn't agree more. Nuge-McD-Kassian is a $22 million line, they need to do more (not McDavid, but Nuge and Kassian at this point).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Barrie is extremely skilled for sure.
The issue is, and has been for the season to this point is, our core as a whole can't defend worth shit. It's early but so far Bear has taken a step back, Larsson is as hit and miss as last year and Jones is simply not a full time NHLer right now.

Now all of that can change, I hope it does but who knows.

I could see this team be very hit or miss and allowing a crap ton of goals this year. For sure we will score a crap ton so I think a winning record is likely but this team defensively doesn't seem there.

It's extremely early and defense often takes a bit more to get back into the flow.

I'd say the thing the team should focus on for the next few is to clean up in their own end and work on their possession game as of right now they are bottom 5 in the league for it and they shouldn't be. It's definitely something they can and should clean up.

Goaltending will suck all year but with Covid there is very little that can be done now to fix that

We;re spending too much time in own end. Some of this will be remedied When Smith ever gets back because he plays puck and eases our breakout. This would be invaluable for Barrie, Bear, Nurse who will often be D first touch, and our currently doing that getting hammered and pressured. Soon as the Oilers make improvements on transition, and they will, it will all look smoother.

Jones is looking like he'll figure it out this season. Game is slowing down for him already. I find that exceptional considering the situation he is put in. We've overused Bear, but he should recover.

But yeah, we don't have the right lineup yet to go too far I would think, although I could see us getting to division final.

Thing is in reality we got Barrie, Kahun, Turris as reasonable additions and we got Pulju back, and neal and Smith coming back. Team will be better, guaranteed.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Thing is 2/3 games we've loaded up the first line and they aren't doing the heavy lifting. Additionally Drai is seeing more own zone starts than first line and also sees pk spot duty. We're riding that horse already.
Its critical for McD-nuge to start outmatching opponents in games, consistently, like in game 2. Whoever gets Nuge should be pulling more cart.

How many times do we ever say 'That was a bad loss but at least Nuge looked good"? The guy is always invisible unless McDrai take over the game. He'll always just be a complimentary player and it annoys me how people think he should get a decent raise this off-season.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How many times do we ever say 'That was a bad loss but at least Nuge looked good"? The guy is always invisible unless McDrai take over the game. He'll always just be a complimentary player and it annoys me how people think he should get a decent raise this off-season.

We say that a lot. Or I do at least. Most people around here are so busy yelling that the sky is falling that they can't see the positives. Nuge is usually a positive.

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

its something I've commented on too, for several years. Even in darker days there were ample nights where we won because Hall or Eberle had a big game. FF to today and its predicated on McD or Drai having a huge game. Its rarely Nuge having a solo great game leading a club to victory, and at his payscale and first pick pedigree he should be capable of that kind of thing. its another reason why he better stay here.

Could you imagine if he ends up somewhere where hes expected to be the guy. I couldn't imagine him as the franchise player anywhere. He's had a coddled supported existence here with always better players than him being here, driving offense. In the annals the highest paid Oiler to move so little. He's 10 seasons into his career.

The sad thing is I realize what a good player he could be, if he pushed himself to be that player. he does once in awhile for awhile. His game 2 was solid. He's ever capable of it.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
The whole team was playing extremely well in January and February. The whole team, not just 2 guys.

2 guys make 1/6th of the cap for the team, they damn well better be doing the heavy lifting.

The team at 5v5 in January/Feb was below 50% in almost every category, and only a squeak above in goals. Last year was a special teams illusion

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
The team at 5v5 in January/Feb was below 50% in almost every category, and only a squeak above in goals. Last year was a special teams illusion

Sure, everything is terrible. Everyone should just stop watching and they should fold the team. How dare they besmirch the NHLs honour with their presence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I forgot they took special teams out of the game this year.
Special teams are very odd. You rely on the refs to call penalties, and a teams special teams can vary heavily season to season.
I have a feeling with only playing divisional teams that powerplays are going to be neutered, so relying on them is not going to be successful.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Special teams are very odd. You rely on the refs to call penalties, and a teams special teams can vary heavily season to season.
I have a feeling with only playing divisional teams that powerplays are going to be neutered, so relying on them is not going to be successful.
I don’t see that happening. You can’t neuter the most talented players in the game. Special teams are a huge factor and will be again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If the Oilers are a squeak above even at 5v5 then they are probably pushing cup contender status.

Reactions: Snipes45

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
It pisses me off how on nights when McDavid and Draisaitl have off games the rest of our team can’t do Jack shit, especially our bottom six who has still yet to score.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree with that 100%. I think Tippett's decision to spilt the DRY line was asinine. But it's literally 3 games. If the Blues getting destroyed 8-0 doesn't mean their season is over, then these 3 games don't mean the seasons over.

Agreed. Not a reason to be overly worried yet, but how long do they keep trying everything but the preproven DRY line.

Reactions: yukoner88

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It pisses me off how on nights when McDavid and Draisaitl have off games the rest of our team can’t do Jack shit, especially our bottom six who has still yet to score.
No one was scoring last night. I’m floored we even got one. When Price is dialled in there’s nothing you can do.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Can still try one of your most proven combinations to throw the kitchen sink at him.
If the offensive struggles persist then they have to mix it up but one game against a goalie in god mode isn’t a line blender situation to me.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Agreed. Not a reason to be overly worried yet, but how long do they keep trying everything but the preproven DRY line.

For sure. I didn't like his reasoning after the play ins either, "spreading the wealth" is just silly to me.

I try and give people I consider experts the benefit of the doubt, because they most likely have more information available to them than I do. But man, I don't see how any information tells you the Nuge-Drai-Yama is anything but fire.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad