Pre-Game Talk: The Playoff Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I think Tocchet went to 'Midvale school for the gifted'?

You might find a Gary Larson-cartoon if you google that. :naughty:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
IIRC Philly was pretty set on drafting a defenseman and had their eyes on Soderstrom (who was Chayka's 3RD OVERALL RANKED PLAYER!!!). He had to make it worth their while to move back, hints the 2nd and not a 3rd.

Way too much to give up to move two spots but like the pick now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
IIRC Philly was pretty set on drafting a defenseman and had their eyes on Soderstrom (who was Chayka's 3RD OVERALL RANKED PLAYER!!!). He had to make it worth their while to move back, hints the 2nd and not a 3rd.

Way too much to give up to move two spots but like the pick now.
If I were running that draft we’d have Peyton Krebs and Egor Afanasyev today instead of Soderstrom.

I like Soderstrom but I’d definitely rather have that pair of forwards.

Reactions: YotesFan47

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Blues making a playoff push, and their board doesn't even have a "playoff push" thread.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Blues only need 6 points over their remaining 7 games to clinch, that's assuming the Coyotes run the table and win 4 straight. It could happen. :loony:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
They didn't show up when it was push time. We need a huge, huge roster overhaul (yea I know, throw in the coach too so I don't get so much flak. :) )

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I must say I'd like to see the group with a new coach, but I know there will be massive roster changes this season. We've got to get a lot meaner with more "go to the net" guys. We've got to be almost dead last in the NHL in the following categories.

1 - rebound goals (my guess is we're literally dead last)
2 - goals scored within 5 feet of the goal (my guess is we're bottom 5)

Those 2 things will have to improve to top 15 if we're ever going to be a consistent scoring team...and the reason why is we never have anyone at the net except for Bunting. That guy gets it, if he's in the offensive zone and doesn't have the puck he's at the net. There are way too many times that we have 3 guys on the puck in the corner or half wall, and we get it, but the only option we have to to throw it around the boards to the opposite D or up the near boards to the D that's it, or try to come out of the scrum with it, which never works.

I swear every time we have a turnover along the boards on our D side, there is an opposing player right at the net waiting for a pass. We should always have a guy in the Ozone at the net. 2 on the puck 1 at the net. The cycle is no different, play a 2-man cycle sorta of a triangle with always 1 guy at the net. Then when those turnovers happen, we're automatically in position to capitalize. I can't tell you how many times I watched this year when that exact thing happened to us.

We just can't be a "rush team", that won't work, way too many shots from the outside and it's all too many times its 1 and done. I'd kill to have the team throw the puck at the net and have 3 bodies crashing the net. We maybe have 1 guy, maybe, but it's rare, there are always rebounds and no one is there as they're on the wall or behind the net. That is why Bunting was such a revelation and why he's been so successful. Want to score goals, spend time at the net. We should have more than 1 guy on the team who understands that.

Reactions: 0point1

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I must say I'd like to see the group with a new coach, but I know there will be massive roster changes this season. We've got to get a lot meaner with more "go to the net" guys. We've got to be almost dead last in the NHL in the following categories.

1 - rebound goals (my guess is we're literally dead last)
2 - goals scored within 5 feet of the goal (my guess is we're bottom 5)

Those 2 things will have to improve to top 15 if we're ever going to be a consistent scoring team...and the reason why is we never have anyone at the net except for Bunting. That guy gets it, if he's in the offensive zone and doesn't have the puck he's at the net. There are way too many times that we have 3 guys on the puck in the corner or half wall, and we get it, but the only option we have to to throw it around the boards to the opposite D or up the near boards to the D that's it, or try to come out of the scrum with it, which never works.

I swear every time we have a turnover along the boards on our D side, there is an opposing player right at the net waiting for a pass. We should always have a guy in the Ozone at the net. 2 on the puck 1 at the net. The cycle is no different, play a 2-man cycle sorta of a triangle with always 1 guy at the net. Then when those turnovers happen, we're automatically in position to capitalize. I can't tell you how many times I watched this year when that exact thing happened to us.

We just can't be a "rush team", that won't work, way too many shots from the outside and it's all too many times its 1 and done. I'd kill to have the team throw the puck at the net and have 3 bodies crashing the net. We maybe have 1 guy, maybe, but it's rare, there are always rebounds and no one is there as they're on the wall or behind the net. That is why Bunting was such a revelation and why he's been so successful. Want to score goals, spend time at the net. We should have more than 1 guy on the team who understands that.
That strat might work better if we had some actual snipers on our team. Kessel is the only guy with that label and that's not enough. Pittsburgh had multiple guys with a deadly shot so they could spend more time on the perimeter if they chose, our guys have high and left syndrome.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That strat might work better if we had some actual snipers on our team. Kessel is the only guy with that label and that's not enough. Pittsburgh had multiple guys with a deadly shot so they could spend more time on the perimeter if they chose, our guys have high and left syndrome.
Funny. My left runs high too.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It was a relief, actually, to just be out. First there were hope, and then it faded so fast. At least it wasn't that long death-struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad