Pre-Game Talk: The Playoff Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Sure this thread title will be met with some sarcasm, but hey we’ve gone 9 years without a true playoff appearance. Hopefully they can bring it home.

What do we need? 12 points in the final 8 games? Maybe 13?

Arizona:
at SJ x 2
Vegas x2
LA x2
at SJ x2

STL:
At Minn x3
Minn x2
Ana x2
at Vegas x2
at LA
at Minn

Let’s go Wild!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This is the little chart I threw together before yesterday's games. Just using past performance and projecting it forward it showed us finishing with 50 pts and the Blues with 51 (rounding off). We could clinch by winning only 4 games unless the Blues get hot and can beat much better opponents. Even though the Avs and Knights have clinched they still want to win the Division...so effort on their part shouldn't be an issue.

upload_2021-4-22_11-8-14-png.425151

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Kinda like Minnesota as a team. Looking at their roster though I hadnt realised how old they are or how many bad contracts they have. Jeepers. Both Parise and Suter are paid $7.5M until they're 40!

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Kinda like Minnesota as a team. Looking at their roster though I hadnt realised how old they are or how many bad contracts they have. Jeepers. Both Parise and Suter are paid $7.5M until they're 40!
Yup, Guerin inherited a bit of a mess, Spurgeon contract is also ugly, but he has Kaprizov and 2 first rounders in the upcoming draft. I don’t feel sorry for them.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Sure this thread title will be met with some sarcasm, but hey we’ve gone 9 years without a true playoff appearance. Hopefully they can bring it home.

What do we need? 12 points in the final 8 games? Maybe 13?

Arizona:
at SJ x 2
Vegas x2
LA x2
at SJ x2

STL:
At Minn x3
Minn x2
Ana x2
at Vegas x2
at LA
at Minn

Let’s go Wild!

You know, I was coming in here to post sarcasm before even opening the thread. :P

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Minnesota's record is a little inflated because they got 14 points from the Coyotes.

We're such an extreme version of a cliche middle of the road team. I posted this one a few weeks ago, it's still hilarious.

upload_2021-4-25_10-24-36.png

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I don't manage to get the math from the two first posts adding up, but that's probably just me. Does AZviaNJ has his wrong? No games for St Louis vs Colorado in his list?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Yup, Guerin inherited a bit of a mess, Spurgeon contract is also ugly, but he has Kaprizov and 2 first rounders in the upcoming draft. I don’t feel sorry for them.
Add Boldy, Addison (makes Dumba expendable) and Marco Rossi to those two firsts and Minnesota has a bright future. Guerin's going to be around awhile. Suter and Parise have three seasons left on their long ass contracts but Suter will finish his off. Parise on the other hand, not so much.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't manage to get the math from the two first posts adding up, but that's probably just me. Does AZviaNJ has his wrong? No games for St Louis vs Colorado in his list?
My bad, they still have a make-up game with the Avs.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Suter and Parise deals were structured to let them retire after 21-22 without giving up much salary. My guess is they will be sent to Robidas island around that time.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Arizona:
at SJ x 2 4 points
Vegas x2 0 points
LA x2 4 points
at SJ x2 2 points

10 points

STL:
At Minn x3 3 points
Minn x2 2 points
Ana x2 4 points
at Vegas x2 0 points
at LA 2 points
at Col 0 points
11 points

Let’s go Wild!

57 points for us

57 points for them

Early season playoff series win for us gets in on a tie breaker.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
How many points do you think the Coyotes have to be up on the Blues when the Coyotes have played their last game? The Blues will have 3 games left, at LAK, and 2 at home vs MIN. Ideally the Coyotes are 7 points ahead or even six if the tiebreakers fall in their favor. I think the minimum will be a 4 point cushion. Hope that MIN can win one in regulation and see where the tiebreakers fall. Anything less than 4 and it wouldn't be worthwhile to scoreboard watch.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dom Luszczyszyn’s updated projections today have us at 26% for 4th and the Blues at 70% for 4th.

News this morning that Brandon Saad is headed to the IR for a month, where he’ll join the injured Philip Grubauer and Pavel Francouz. This means that Colorado will be without a top sniper and their best two goalies as they finish off the season series against the Blues this afternoon.

Colorado without Saad and with Dubnyk in net is still a lot tougher than San Jose. But St Louis will have a better shot than they would have otherwise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
One thing that makes me very nervous is that we’re in this dog fight with the St Louis Blues, of all freakin teams. This is something that I am sure is VERY important to Bill Armstrong. I think he wants DESPERATELY to edge out his former team and leave them on the outside looking in.

I worry that if this coaching staff and this roster, gives him that wish, he’ll be way too happy about it. I don’t want him overly pleased. I want him disappointed, angry and looking to shake things up. I don’t want him telling Meruelo we have to give Tocchet a blank check.

I fear if we beat out the Blues, and qualify for the playoffs while they miss them, BA will be way too quick to brush off the inevitable spanking we receive from the Avs and will be less honest with himself about how broken the core of this team is and how dark the future looks without major changes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One thing that makes me very nervous is that we’re in this dog fight with the St Louis Blues, of all freakin teams. This is something that I am sure is VERY important to Bill Armstrong. I think he wants DESPERATELY to edge out his former team and leave them on the outside looking in.

I worry that if this coaching staff and this roster, gives him that wish, he’ll be way too happy about it. I don’t want him overly pleased. I want him disappointed, angry and looking to shake things up. I don’t want him telling Meruelo we have to give Tocchet a blank check.

I fear if we beat out the Blues, and qualify for the playoffs while they miss them, BA will be way too quick to brush off the inevitable spanking we receive from the Avs and will be less honest with himself about how broken the core of this team is and how dark the future looks without major changes.
I would think BA knows exactly who's this teams core is and what changes have to be done for this team to move forward. Just because you and I don't like the coach or certain players, we don't know what is happening behind closed doors and what is being discussed.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I would think BA knows exactly who's this teams core is and what changes have to be done for this team to move forward. Just because you and I don't like the coach or certain players, we don't know what is happening behind closed doors and what is being discussed.

Yeah outside of miraculously making the final four I don't think RT is extended. There was a BA quote from a Morgan article where he states that this is an irregular season and the team can capitalize on it and make the playoffs. That is the goal. Reading between the tea leaves, it makes it sound like he knows this team isn't quite a playoff team yet but because of the strange season and being in a weaker division they may have a shot and that experience and ability to build a winning culture is better than just starting rebuild 2.0.

I think if we miss it altogether or get spanked in the first round RT is told we aren't re-signing him. I expect two major moves too. If Kuemper turns into Mike Smith 2.0 and we play an Avs team without their two goaltenders and a banged up forward and defense group and sneak out of that series I think all bets are off. I'd put money on that not happening though hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad