The Player or Team that could use the Stanley Cup the most now?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
With both Ovechkin and Washington now off the list. Which team/city or player is starving the most for a Stanley Cup?

Team: St. Louis

City just lost their football team. The Blues have been around seemingly forever, they have a loyal fanbase and they’ve never even been to the Finals.

Player: Joe Thornton

After years of playoff failures, being labeled a playoff choker despite a hall of fame career. A cup would garner him some much deserved respect. He’s almost 40, he’s a funny dude and already has a legendary Stanley Cup beard.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
I will agree with Jumbo.

My case for the Flyers: no cups since ‘75 despite being one of the most consistent and successful franchises with numerous SCF appearances.

But I get the angle that there are teams such as the Blues that have been around for as long with no cups. Not to mention Philly sports fans have to feel some what spoiled by the Birds, the rise of the Sixers and the “Process” spearheaded by Joel Embiid, and the Phils... at least most of us have witnessed their World Series in our lifetime. And they’re not so bad right now.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Team: Oilers
Fans have literally been through hell, and have stuck with them through the worst playoff drought in NHL history.
Edmonton has THE most loyal fans on the planet bar none. Sellout streak never ended. (It ended in Toronto BTW).

Player: McDavid
They should just rename the Oilers to the Edmonton McDavids at this point.

DonnyG33

Apr 13, 2015
Toronto
Team: Anyone but Ottawa. Not because of their fans (I am one), but Eugene, Lee, etc. do not deserve it.
Player: Erik Karlsson, who has been through an insane amount of BS over his short career (Achilles, Norris snubbings, Eugene, foot injury last year, family, newest info released today, etc.), while being one of the best to ever play his position.

This obviously poses a dilemma but one that will probably be rectified within the next year or two.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Fans have literally been through hell, and have stuck with them through the worst playoff drought in NHL history.
Edmonton has THE most loyal fans on the planet bar none. Sellout streak never ended. (It ended in Toronto BTW).

The Oilers have arguably the best dynasty ever.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Team Toronto
Not sure how anyone cannot see that this franchise and fan base need it more then any team by far
Player Henrik Lundqvist
Will always have that * next to his name without a Cup in discussions about his rank as an all time goaltender. Sure is looking bleak

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pens fan saying Vancouver. Canada deserves a championship, and the canucks have never won it all.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005

They deserve nothing. They failed to tank, failed again and finally won something with McDavid. Why should they be rewarded for the NHL's worst rebuild. Imagine that team if they didn't win the McDavid lottery. Plus, the team has won cups. It was even done without tanking.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

First of all, Oilers fans haven't "Literally been through hell", unless Edmonton is much worse -- and hotter -- than I've heard.

Second, the loyalty thing is a tough sell. Not because Oilers fans lack loyalty, but because so many other long-time markets are equally passionate. Try telling Sabres, Blues, Canucks, Jets fans that your fans are more loyal than theirs. But first let me duck out of the way.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Panthers or Coyotes.

Maybe then the "relocate them to Quebec now!!" will shut the hell up. I doubt it, but still. Would certainly piss off many of those people, I can already see the meltdown taking place.

Hey at least it would give those places to experience a soldout arena for a few weeks (playoffs) in a row...and then they all go back to mediocrity like Carolina post 2006. ;)

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Just curious, how does Vancouver winning a cup make say, Calgary or Edmonton fans, feel better about their clubs? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Canadians rally around the last remaining Canadian team in the playoffs. Apparently they do the same for the Raptors and Blue Jays. Edm and Cal won the cup. In fact every other Canadian team won the cup besides Ottawa and Winnipeg. I personally wouldn't cheer for Winnipeg or Ottawa to win the cup because they represent a tiny city that would be considered a suburb of some American cities. For comparison Pittsburgh is considered a small market sports city, yet, it is bigger than Ottawa and Winnipeg COMBINED.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Canadians rally around the last remaining Canadian team in the playoffs. Apparently they do the same for the Raptors and Blue Jays. Edm and Cal won the cup. In fact every other Canadian team won the cup besides Ottawa and Winnipeg. I personally wouldn't cheer for Winnipeg or Ottawa to win the cup because they represent a tiny city that would be considered a suburb of some American cities. For comparison Pittsburgh is considered a small market sports city, yet, it is bigger than Ottawa and Winnipeg COMBINED.

Most people outside BC rooted against the Canucks in 2011. Why? A) They were a dirty and unlikable team. B) They don't have as wide a spread of a fan base nationally like Montreal or Toronto.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
San Jose is 3rd in playoff wins since the lockout and 1st in regular season wins since the lockout

-Lost in their only Stanley Cup Final appearance
-Blew a 3-0 lead to their biggest rival
-Won the President’s Trophy and lost in the first round to their biggest rival
-Lost to an expansion team in their first season

Reactions: NiftyMits and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad