OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: You Play to Lose the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
They won't be. I'll throw money down on that. Also get ready for run run pass on next drive down by 11

Haley will be fired, Tomlin retained, all the fans will rejoice just like they did when Arians was let go, and then another OC will be brought in and we'll see the same exact problems as before.

And everyone will just keep blaming the OC, regardless of who it is.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Haley will be fired, Tomlin retained, all the fans will rejoice just like they did when Arians was let go, and then another OC will be brought in and we'll see the same exact problems as before.

And everyone will just keep blaming the OC, regardless of who it is.

Haley is a problem though. I don't know how anybody could deny that.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Haley is a problem though. I don't know how anybody could deny that.

No, he's not. I was one of the many who thought Arians was the problem. I've learned better at this point.

It's always easier to blame the play calling, or the choice to run vs. pass, when a play doesn't work, but it's not the play selection that has repeatedly killed the Steelers over and over.

It has been too many O-line busts, no secondary, and too much success pushing draft picks late and cap numbers high.

But it's much easier to blame one person, especially if he's an unlikable guy.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
No, he's not. I was one of the many who thought Arians was the problem. I've learned better at this point.

It's always easier to blame the play calling, or the choice to run vs. pass, when a play doesn't work, but it's not the play selection that has repeatedly killed the Steelers over and over.

It has been too many O-line busts, no secondary, and too much success pushing draft picks late and cap numbers high.

So... running on 3rd and long is okay because we would make it if we had a better O-line?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

What about a run on 3rd and 6? What about calling a screen from the 5 yard line? Or a screen when the Steelers are down 17 points with 50 seconds left in the half and no timeouts? Jet sweeps from the 5 yard line? Haley makes calls that average high school oc's know not to make. If you think he is good at his job you simply have no clue.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
What about a run on 3rd and 6? What about calling a screen from the 5 yard line? Or a screen when the Steelers are down 17 points with 50 seconds left in the half and no timeouts? Jet sweeps from the 5 yard line? Haley makes calls that average high school oc's know not to make. If you think he is good at his job you simply have no clue.

If average high school coaches are better than him, why does he keep getting NFL jobs?

It's just another classic case of fans thinking they know better when they can judge the result, not the decision.

And yes, sometimes running on 3rd & long is a good idea to not get your QB killed. If the O-line were better, they'd have far fewer 3rd & long situations.

And so you seriously think that Ben doesn't have the authority to change the play if he sees something in the defence?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
If average high school coaches are better than him, why does he keep getting NFL jobs?

It's just another classic case of fans thinking they know better when they can judge the result, not the decision.

And yes, sometimes running on 3rd & long is a good idea to not get your QB killed. If the O-line were better, they'd have far fewer 3rd & long situations.

And so you seriously think that Ben doesn't have the authority to change the play if he sees something in the defence?

I think he got his start like many others in the NFL (and other pro sports do) through his name (e.g., Kyle Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Marvin Lewis' kid in Cincy, Wade Phillips, the list goes on and on). With the exception of horrendous failures like David Shula, most can keep moving around by being just average.

Edit: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ns-follow-their-father-s-nfl-footsteps-061514

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

Please explain to me why anybody would think a jet sweep would work in the red zone. Please explain why anybody would call a screen to start a drive with 50 seconds left and no time outs when the team is losing by 17 and needs to score.

This is not criticizing the result instead of the decision, this is criticizing really stupid decisions. Are you for real?

Tek_Jansen

Mar 17, 2007
Pittsburgh PA
Well that was some old school Cowher football on the final drive, I guess it still has a place in the NFL if the defense can't stop you even when they know it's coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad