OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Excuse my ignorance but.... why would Miller go to prison? For paying recruits?
Why would the law care about NCAA violations at all?

This reminds me of when the senate was investigating steroid use in baseball. How is that even remotely relevant to US law in any way.

Book Richardson is facing 60 years in prison as a result of the scandal based on these charges: conspiracy to commit bribery, solicitation of bribes by an agent of a federally funded organization, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, wire fraud conspiracy and travel act conspiracy. Sean Miller was caught in a federal wiretap discussing bribes on several occasions. He's not in as deep of shit as Richardson is, but it's hardly a rosy situation for him. He may very well avoid prison, but I'd have to think his coaching career is over at the very least. Dude f***ed up big time getting caught discussing the Ayton bribe, all of his plausible deniability is gone.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Hopefully he doesn't suffer the same fate as Ki-jana Carter and Curtis Enis, although Carter squeezed out a serviceable career.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully he doesn't suffer the same fate as Ki-jana Carter and Curtis Enis, although Carter squeezed out a serviceable career.

Yeah, Penn State RB's haven't exactly had the best NFL rep since, well, I suppose Franco.

I think trading Martavis Bryant would be damn stupid, but if they do it, I hope they can grab DaeSean Hamilton in the draft. Kid is being criminally underrated by the "experts" and I have no idea why.

Zero point to trading Bryant. Let him play out his contract year. One would think there would be an incentive for him to kill it out there.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Less than 48 hours for the Steelers to decide to tag Bell or not.

Really feel he isn't worth 14m...

If they reach a deal, I'll probably hate that number as well. Just don't think any RB is worth big coin in today's NFL.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Less than 48 hours for the Steelers to decide to tag Bell or not.

Really feel he isn't worth 14m...

If they reach a deal, I'll probably hate that number as well. Just don't think any RB is worth big coin in today's NFL.

I wish there were a Portis for Bailey type deal out there (be it for a CB, S, or LB).

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I think trading Martavis Bryant would be damn stupid, but if they do it, I hope they can grab DaeSean Hamilton in the draft. Kid is being criminally underrated by the "experts" and I have no idea why.

I wouldn't complain if we took a flier on him later in the draft, he looked really good in the postseason all-star games, but it's hard to justify taking him in the middle rounds given his subpar athleticism. He has all the intangibles one could want in a football player, but if you can't get off the line, none of that matters. Given how strong we are at developing WRs, I'd be more interested in a raw player with plus athleticism.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
as much of a game changer he is, i don't think the Steelers should proceed with Bell being an untouchable piece.

I'm not saying trade him, per se, but I think the Steelers shouldn't automatically turn down any serious trade offers for Bell if they get them.

TL;DR: I think the Steelers should make Bell available for the right return.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
as much of a game changer he is, i don't think the Steelers should proceed with Bell being an untouchable piece.

I'm not saying trade him, per se, but I think the Steelers shouldn't automatically turn down any serious trade offers for Bell if they get them.

TL;DR: I think the Steelers should make Bell available for the right return.

You can't trade him if he remains unsigned. Therefore, you either sign him long-term and try to trade him, which doesn't really make sense, or you franchise him and trade him after he signs, but then you'd be trying to trade a guy on what is essentially a one year contract. There are good arguments to be made for both re-signing and moving on from Bell, but I can't imagine we'd get any reasonable trade offers given the circumstances.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
You can't trade him if he remains unsigned. Therefore, you either sign him long-term and try to trade him, which doesn't really make sense, or you franchise him and trade him after he signs, but then you'd be trying to trade a guy on what is essentially a one year contract. There are good arguments to be made for both re-signing and moving on from Bell, but I can't imagine we'd get any reasonable trade offers given the circumstances.
i get that, but I'm talking in the case of if they can re-sign him. i think that has to be done regardless of whether they want to keep him long term or not.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Our window is like 2 years anyway, if Ben even sticks around. Sign Bell for big money and cut your losses in a couple of years. Money can be shuffled around to make it work, IMO.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
new England would grab him and win another sb

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Bell, wants the $$.
Steelers have two choices, one not in their wheelhouse.
One they franchise him. Two they offer him a contract.
The third choice is Bell sits out a year if he doesn't accept the offer.

I would think he plays. I think the Steelers franchise him. Limited window with him and Ben and AB. That 14.5 mil tho is just way more than they should pay. /shrug

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I wouldn't complain if we took a flier on him later in the draft, he looked really good in the postseason all-star games, but it's hard to justify taking him in the middle rounds given his subpar athleticism. He has all the intangibles one could want in a football player, but if you can't get off the line, none of that matters. Given how strong we are at developing WRs, I'd be more interested in a raw player with plus athleticism.

I think they draft better than they develop. Coates and Wheaton never developed like they could have and some of that is on the team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't fathom why they would pay Bell almost 6m more per season than the next highest paid back.

Steelers avg the same amount of points without Bell, as they did with him.

I also keep thinking about how productive a 31 year old Williams was in this offense, only making two million per.

It seems like a really bad per dollar investment.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
There have been quite a few games where for long stretches the only thing working was Bell being a one man show. He's by far the best back in the game. I wouldn't sell him short.

As far as longevity concerns, I think he'll be good into 30s because of his build and ability to BHOB. When the quickness and speed go, he'll still be very good.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I can't fathom why they would pay Bell almost 6m more per season than the next highest paid back.

Steelers avg the same amount of points without Bell, as they did with him.

I also keep thinking about how productive a 31 year old Williams was in this offense, only making two million per.

It seems like a really bad per dollar investment.

Yup..Bell is great but id like to see what another talented rb can do in this offense. Williams was the only one weve seen and he was productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad