OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Watt was that, Tomlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I liked what I saw out of Brown, James, and Watt.

I have a love/hate thing with Tomlin, if the Steelers stay healthy, this could get interesting.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A lot of bad offense from several teams yesterday. The Steelers weren't the only ones suffering from rust.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The Departed was a good movie because the acting was uniformly excellent, but I liked Infernal Affairs a lot more.

I'm not going to read too much into the first game of the season, but the biggest thing that made me angry were the penalties. So many times we extended their drives by being stupid. We need to play better overall, but that's the main reason the game was close.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm not surprised at all at how average the Steelers looked. Why are you? Under Tomlin this has been the going trend forever.

Undisciplined play throughout? Check.

Lack of cohesion, especially on offense against a very inferior team? Check.

Playing tentative or passive on offense vs an inferior team? Yup.

Couple all of that with starters playing less and less in the preseason and you get a 21-18 win over a team we should be dominating by 20+ points regularly.

Bud Dupree is already hurt and Tuitt is likely done for the year after playing less than a quarter of the 1st game. Those are the types of things that we should be concerned about.

I'm not worried after one game. But if we continue to lose key bodies to serious injury as we have in the pats few seasons, our season will be over.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This team won't win a championship with the coaching staff assembled, period.

Tomlin, Butler, and Haley will not win. Period.

Arians and Lebeau were two high quality football minds and the more control Tomlin has had the less impressive the Steelers preparation, forcus, and achievement has been.

Basically, the Steelers have Superb talent and average NFL coaching. To win a Championship you need either Superb talent or coaching paired with the other attribute that is at least good.

The Steeler's don't have that. They will win the odd game, they will win against lesser competition but they will get smoked by the Ravens and Pats this year, even though they have the talent to match those clubs.

Same story.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Arians and Lebeau were two high quality football minds and the more control Tomlin has had the less impressive the Steelers preparation, forcus, and achievement has been.

Basically, the Steelers have Superb talent and average NFL coaching. To win a Championship you need either Superb talent or coaching paired with the other attribute that is at least good.

The Steeler's don't have that. They will win the odd game, they will win against lesser competition but they will get smoked by the Ravens and Pats this year, even though they have the talent to match those clubs.

Same story.

Butler is one guy who seems way out of his element. He has brought nothing to the defense, nothing. They are simply a scaled down version of Lebeau's defense, similar to a very bad light beer.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Same story.

LeBeau was a high quality football mind, but I think the game was beginning to pass him by.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
LeBeau was a high quality football mind, but I think the game was beginning to pass him by.

He made a horrendous Titans defense average. I think from like 28th to 14 or something like that. With no real change in personnel.

Butler is as vanilla as it gets. He actually has a decent defense this year. LeBeau spent his last three seasons here hiding holes.

As for offense, the way we came out last week was inexcusable. You score 7 points, you have the Browns on their heels you don't come out in shotgun! You play a bit conservative and try and get the Browns back on their heels. You don't run friggen BUBBLE screens. You have the best RB in the game.

Get a first down and attempt to put your boot on a young teams throat. Couldn't have drawn that first series up any worse. An offense that didn't play together, as a group, all preseason and you go to play-calling that involves extreme rhythm? foolish.

Defensively, individual players made individual plays. Nothing schematic aided or hindered. That's not gonna get us a championship.

This is a championship caliber squad averagely coached. Unless they play inferior squads they won't win a championship.

I hesitate to say this but Tomlin=Bylsma

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He made a horrendous Titans defense average. I think from like 28th to 14 or something like that. With no real change in personnel.

Butler is as vanilla as it gets. He actually has a decent defense this year. LeBeau spent his last three seasons here hiding holes.

As for offense, the way we came out last week was inexcusable. You score 7 points, you have the Browns on their heels you don't come out in shotgun! You play a bit conservative and try and get the Browns back on their heels. You don't run friggen BUBBLE screens. You have the best RB in the game.

Get a first down and attempt to put your boot on a young teams throat. Couldn't have drawn that first series up any worse. An offense that didn't play together, as a group, all preseason and you go to play-calling that involves extreme rhythm? foolish.

Defensively, individual players made individual plays. Nothing schematic aided or hindered. That's not gonna get us a championship.

This is a championship caliber squad averagely coached. Unless they play inferior squads they won't win a championship.

I hesitate to say this but Tomlin=Bylsma

I would not go anywhere near that far.

However he does share the inability/stubbornness to never learn from his mistakes and keep making the same ones again and again which is very frustrating to watch.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Every team yesterday didn't look good.

All this blame Tomlin crap is laughable. Want to bring up losing or playing down to competition over the years? look at the QB, whom has been a bad on the road the past few years.

Also the Browns are becoming a better football team. Hue Jackson at HC, Greg Williams at DC, Kizer looks like he could be their future. They may have finally figured it out.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Every team yesterday didn't look good.

All this blame Tomlin crap is laughable. Want to bring up losing or playing down to competition over the years? look at the QB, whom has been a bad on the road the past few years.

Also the Browns are becoming a better football team. Hue Jackson at HC, Greg Williams and DC, Kizer looks like he could be their future. They may have finally figured it out.

So you think it was rust and not that the offensive game plan looked horrific? Just wondering.

And the penalties were a rust thing, too, right? Not something we've had an issue with prior?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The Browns are not a good football team. They haven't been a good team most of their existence.

Tomlin routinely has his teams unprepared for lower tier teams. His record against teams like Cleveland is disgustingly bad. Look it up for yourself.

Now, I do think, when you look around league wide at the week 1 performances (or lack there of), you can see what happens when starters play all of 1-2 quarters of football before the real games start.

Biggest news this week is that Tuitt avoided a season ending injury. I don't think the average fan understands how big a talent he is and how important an impact 3-4 DE is for us.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
So you think it was rust and not that the offensive game plan looked horrific? Just wondering.

And the penalties were a rust thing, too, right? Not something we've had an issue with prior?

How is it not rust?

Go look at the other games being played yesterday. Bad football was played.

O-line: Starters didn't play but one game all PS(together), they also didn't play together much during camp(injuries).
Bell: Missed all camp, and PS
Bryant: Missed most of camp and still getting up to speed of the NFL regular season after missing all of last year.
Ben: played 1 PS game.

Last edited:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
The Browns are not a good football team. They haven't been a good team most of their existence.

Tomlin routinely has his teams unprepared for lower tier teams. His record against teams like Cleveland is disgustingly bad. Look it up for yourself.

Now, I do think, when you look around league wide at the week 1 performances (or lack there of), you can see what happens when starters play all of 1-2 quarters of football before the real games start.

Biggest news this week is that Tuitt avoided a season ending injury. I don't think the average fan understands how big a talent he is and how important an impact 3-4 DE is for us.

How does Ben play in those games?

He is part of the reason why they struggle. A bad game by your QB, plus a rebuilding defense will causes some losses.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Look Tomlin is a good coach. I don't think many would debate that. But he isn't great. Great coaches don't see their teams routinely play down to their competition and commit so many stupid penalties. He's been a lax coach when it comes to crap like that from an external point of view. And it's not like this is a new trend. It's been that way for a long time.

Ben has gotten worse on the road over the years but the fact remains we've sucked against crappy teams at home as well. Ben hasn't always been the culprit. No one person is but it IS the coach's responsibility to have his team prepared and anyone with even marginal football IQ can see plenty of these squads weren't ready to play at the level needed.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Even the great Bill Belichick and Brady lose to teams they are favored to win, hell they lose to the ****** Jets and Dolphins at times, even though they are division rivals similar to the Browns with Pittsburgh.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017

As someone posted in the reply, "and 6 straight road wins, 10-1 overall, 7/8 on the road including postseason."

Now only if they can take down the two GOATS in New England.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boy I see a yinzer who takes his Steelers homerism to a new level. :laugh: Don't take it personal. They played like **** and once again took too many penalties. What else is there to tell ya? If you want to make every excuse in the book, do it. You seem to be on a roll with it.

And don't ever put the current Steelers team in the same category as New England. Brady has 5. He can do whatever the hell he wants at this point. They won 5. Ben/current steelers have 2 in this era. And they were owned by NE pretty much every time. Soooooo you don't get to put them in that category. Don't do it. Similar to Crosby/Malkin era for the Pens. They are allowed to be forgiven for whatever right now. That's what happens with winners.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yep, the Steelers lose some of their luster when you factor that both of the SB wins came in years they avoided the Pats. Otherwise we've been owned by them and there is no excuse in the book that makes those facts anything but.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Boy I see a yinzer who takes his Steelers homerism to a new level. :laugh: Don't take it personal. They played like **** and once again took too many penalties. What else is there to tell ya? If you want to make every excuse in the book, do it. You seem to be on a roll with it.

And don't ever put the current Steelers team in the same category as New England. Brady has 5. He can do whatever the hell he wants at this point. They won 5. Ben/current steelers have 2 in this era. And they were owned by NE pretty much every time. Soooooo you don't get to put them in that category. Don't do it. Similar to Crosby/Malkin era for the Pens. They are allowed to be forgiven for whatever right now. That's what happens with winners.

Yes they played like crap, just like almost every other team yesterday....

Didn't put the Steelers in the same category as NE, was making a point that sometimes teams that are favored to win don't always win.

Why you gotta be so upset?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So do those SB's not count?

I didn't say that. Just pointing out our only 2 SB wins came in years we avoided NE. We've never beat them in the playoffs in the Brady era. The Steelers are the Washington Capitals to the Patriots Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mike Tomlin cannot out coach Bill Belichek. It's that simple.

Tomlin is a really good motivator. He's a wordsmith so to speak, but I don't get the impression and never have that he understands the delicate nuances of the game when it comes to X's and O's (strategy). At least not relative to somebody like BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad