Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
So meanwhile, here's a brief synopsis on the Steelers playoff hopes:

Option 1: Win the division

The Steelers games are at Oakland, New England, at New Orleans, Cincy

The Ravens games are at KC, Tampa, at Chargers, Cleveland

I can't imagine that the Ravens will go anything worse than 2-2. Can't see them winning at KC. Can't see them losing the home games. The Chargers SHOULD win, but by 2nd to last game, the Chargers probably already will be locked into the WC1 spot (#5 in the conference), meaning they won't have as much to play for.

Anyway, IF the Steelers manage NOT to finish up worse than the Ravens, then you'll see a rematch of last night's game on wildcard weekend.

Option 2: Grab the WC2 spot (matchup likely at Houston on wildcard weekend)

The worry here is Denver, which is a game and a half back (the Colts also are 6-6 but with Houston and Dallas and a cold game at Tennessee, I think they're done; the 6-6 Titans have an easier run, but don't trust them either).

Anyway, Denver is a game and a half behind the Steelers, meaning IF the Ravens win the division, Denver needs to make up 2 games in the final 4. Bad news for the Steelers in this scenario is that the Broncos finish at SF, Cleveland, at Oakland, and then at the Chargers in what 100% will be meaningless to the Chargers. Pretty sure the Broncos go at worst 3-1.

So, add it all up, and here's the result:

1. IF the Steelers go 4-0, they win the division.

2. If the Steelers go 3-1, they control their playoff destiny (#4 or #6, depending upon Baltimore winning out).

3. If the Steelers go 2-2, absent a major choke in an easy game from Baltimore or Denver, I'd think it's pretty likely they need the Chargers to beat Baltimore in a relatively meaningless game for them OR Denver in a totally meaningless game for them in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs.

4. Anything worse than 2-2, and WC2 is zero chance . . . the Steelers are done unless Baltimore chokes right along with them.

I said last night that I thought the odds favor the Steelers making the playoffs. Now? I think they go 2-2 and will need help from the Chargers OR a choke from Baltimore or Denver.

What a ******* waste.
Don't forget the possibility that the Chargers could upend the Chiefs in their division. It will be interesting because both teams have 3 relatively difficult games left on their schedule (each other, the Ravens, @ Seattle for the Chiefs and @ Denver for the Chargers).

I do still think the Chargers rematch in the Wild Card round is most likely... but who knows.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Ravens' sudden "surge" is a beneficiary of a weak schedule and I feel smoke and mirrors. Flacco gives them a better chance to get to the playoffs and succeed than the rookie QB who runs better than he throws (and is thus more susceptible to injury as well, as he nearly sustained a concussion in Atlanta). And Gus Edwards, Michael Crabtree, Willie Snead and whoever their TE's are don't generally invoke fear in the eyes of many opponents. That said - they have something big that the Steelers sorely lack - a better and much more opportunistic defense and much better special teams. And that, despite the fact the Steelers look much better on paper, is why they have the same amount of wins 12 games in.

...that said, I do NOT like the prospects of a rematch with the Chargers -or- the Chiefs. The Steelers have sucked at home this year and a weak Dolphins team in the wild card round a few years back aside, have sucked at "revenge" games the past few seasons.

Not to overlook the Raiders game since I'm sure it will be an unnecessary nail biter, but the Patriots game is going to be frustration to the max. Their skill players will FLOURISH, Brady will outplay Ben, Belichick will out coach Tomlin, as he always does. If they couldn't beat them last year, they never will (as the teams are generally structured now at least - especially the coaches on both sides).

I honestly think the Steelers have a better chance winning @ New Orleans than they do the Patriots at home... not that I think they have a real good chance at winning that game either. It will boil down to the fact they have to beat a 2-10 team and a rapidly declining team with their best player out for the year and quarterbacked by Jeff Driskel at home. Sounds easy, right? ohblessyourheart.gif.

Last edited:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Don't forget the possibility that the Chargers could upend the Chiefs in their division. It will be interesting because both teams have 3 relatively difficult games left on their schedule (each other, the Ravens, @ Seattle for the Chiefs and @ Denver for the Chargers).

I do still think the Chargers rematch in the Wild Card round is most likely... but who knows.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Ravens' sudden "surge" is a beneficiary of a weak schedule and I feel smoke and mirrors. Flacco gives them a better chance to get to the playoffs and succeed than the rookie QB who runs better than he throws (and is thus more susceptible to injury as well, as he nearly sustained a concussion in Atlanta). And Gus Edwards, Michael Crabtree, Willie Snead and whoever their TE's are don't generally invoke fear in the eyes of many opponents. That said - they have something big that the Steelers sorely lack - a better and much more opportunistic defense and much better special teams. And that, despite the fact the Steelers look much better on paper, is why they have the same amount of wins 12 games in.

...that said, I do NOT like the prospects of a rematch with the Chargers -or- the Chiefs. The Steelers have sucked at home this year and a weak Dolphins team in the wild card round a few years back aside, have sucked at "revenge" games the past few seasons.

Not to overlook the Raiders game since I'm sure it will be an unnecessary nail biter, but the Patriots game is going to be frustration to the max. Their skill players will FLOURISH, Brady will outplay Ben, Belichick will out coach Tomlin, as he always does. If they couldn't beat them last year, they never will (as the teams are generally structured now at least - especially the coaches on both sides).

I honestly think the Steelers have a better chance winning @ New Orleans than they do the Patriots at home... not that I think they have a real good chance at winning that game either. It will boil down to the fact they have to beat a 2-10 team and a rapidly falling team quarterbacked by Jeff Driskel at home. Sounds easy, right? blessyourheart.gif.

I firmly believe after winning on Sunday and with all the turmoil happening with the Chiefs involving Hunt and now not really having a run game that the Chargers are going to win that division. I’ve been a Chargers fan since the Tomlinson days and I have watched that team beat themselves year in and year out and this year just has a different feeling to it now. They have 3 wins on last second plays including Sunday and they are relatively healthy for once at this time of year so I’m thinking if the Steelers are the 4 seed they get KC at Heinz Field

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I firmly believe after winning on Sunday and with all the turmoil happening with the Chiefs involving Hunt and now not really having a run game that the Chargers are going to win that division. I’ve been a Chargers fan since the Tomlinson days and I have watched that team beat themselves year in and year out and this year just has a different feeling to it now. They have 3 wins on last second plays including Sunday and they are relatively healthy for once at this time of year so I’m thinking if the Steelers are the 4 seed they get KC at Heinz Field
True, missing Hunt could be huge for them. I just can't believe Mahomes is going to keep tossing 300+ yds and 3/4+ TD's every week... and he's definitely more susceptible to mistakes than the experienced (and underrated IMO) Rivers. I don't know the numbers but would imagine the Chargers have a better D as well, Eric Berry coming back duly noted.

If they do end up with the 4 seed, I'm pretty torn on who I'd rather see the Steelers face, but considering the Chargers would likely have Gordon back too along with the things I mentioned above, probably lean Chiefs. But with how much of an issue Mahomes, Hill and Kelce are, they may be screwed regardless.

Reactions: KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ryan Day is getting the gig. Same guy who covered the beginning of the season. I'd imagine he'll be able to bring in his own crew.

It certainly is Day, who by all accounts is thought of as an up and comer. Only 39 years old. Those work out sometimes, and at times they do not. Look at Nebraska with Frost, albeit only one year in the books.

What I do know is that when Meyer left Florida he left a mess, and got out right before the crap hit the fan. The cupboard was pretty bare, and I have a lot of doubts that Day will be able to keep the coming year's class intact, there will not be a top three recruiting class again.

What was worse though was that at Florida Meyer established a culture that was a mess. He protected star players and gave special treatment to stars, second tier treatment to everyone else, including have charges dropped and covering up failed drug tests, multiple times, and that culture took a long time to break. Several blame Hernandez's spiral on how he was protected at Florida as much as on himself.

Given what happened earlier this year with the suspension no doubt that the same was true at Ohio State and Day will have his hands full changing that culture. It worked for Meyer, I am not so sure that it is transferable to another coach, especially one just starting out.

I honestly can not stand the guy. You have to respect the record, he will get into the College Football Hall of Fame, but I can not respect how he got there. He ruined lives and made troubled people worse.

As I said above, I have no axe to grind with Ohio State, honestly I have always been pretty neutral toward them, and will be so again now.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Baltimore is on a roll right now. Wouldn't at all be surprised if they clobber the Chiefs. Combine that with the Steelers heading out West and we can expect to be 2nd in the division heading into the NE game. I hope ya'll like losing 5 straight because it'll be New Orleans right after. Hello, 8-7-1. #FireTomlin

As for Meyer, as an OSU fan, I'm not mad or sad. I think he's lost his touch a bit, hence the increasing amount of close calls with mediocre teams and two horrible losses to Iowa and Purdue in back to back seasons causing the Buckeyes to miss the CFP. The team performed better under Day this year, albeit it was against OOC foes.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore is on a roll right now. Wouldn't at all be surprised if they clobber the Chiefs. Combine that with the Steelers heading out West and we can expect to be 2nd in the division heading into the NE game. I hope ya'll like losing 5 straight because it'll be New Orleans right after. Hello, 8-7-1. #FireTomlin

As for Meyer, as an OSU fan, I'm not mad or sad. I think he's lost his touch a bit, hence the increasing amount of close calls with mediocre teams and two horrible losses to Iowa and Purdue in back to back seasons causing the Buckeyes to miss the CFP. The team performed better under Day this year, albeit it was against OOC foes.
This my friends is an extreme pessimist. I fail to see how Baltimore will "clobber" the Chiefs in Arrowhead, unless Mahomes is up to task of making a bunch of mistakes and their D has success. But that's a lot of weapons that have been firing on all cylinders this year.

I'm a partial pessimist, and now it's my turn: James Conner is injured and OUT for the Oakland game, and I'm not shocked by this at all. I do think the backups can do fine if the run blocking is up to task, but this most likely means they'll sling it even more now and Ben will continue making mistakes. DeAngelo filled in well for Bell at times, but the Ben Tate experiment was a disaster.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
James Conner is out vs the Raiders... not that they were sticking with the running game a ton but that could be a huge injury for them

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Luckily the Raiders don't want to win. That's the only thing the Steelers got going for them.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
True, missing Hunt could be huge for them. I just can't believe Mahomes is going to keep tossing 300+ yds and 3/4+ TD's every week... and he's definitely more susceptible to mistakes than the experienced (and underrated IMO) Rivers. I don't know the numbers but would imagine the Chargers have a better D as well, Eric Berry coming back duly noted.

If they do end up with the 4 seed, I'm pretty torn on who I'd rather see the Steelers face, but considering the Chargers would likely have Gordon back too along with the things I mentioned above, probably lean Chiefs. But with how much of an issue Mahomes, Hill and Kelce are, they may be screwed regardless.

The Mahomes point you made is great and something that I don’t think gets brought up enough. Especially now with no Hunt I can’t see him being able to keep that pace up. Not to mention the Chiefs are notorious for fading late in seasons. Yeah the Chargers defense is top 5 in the league so definitely better than KC, even with a great safety in Berry getting healthy and coming back

Reactions: Rossi Rat

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
This my friends is an extreme pessimist. I fail to see how Baltimore will "clobber" the Chiefs in Arrowhead, unless Mahomes is up to task of making a bunch of mistakes and their D has success. But that's a lot of weapons that have been firing on all cylinders this year.

I'm a partial pessimist, and now it's my turn: James Conner is injured and OUT for the Oakland game, and I'm not shocked by this at all. I do think the backups can do fine if the run blocking is up to task, but this most likely means they'll sling it even more now and Ben will continue making mistakes. DeAngelo filled in well for Bell at times, but the Ben Tate experiment was a disaster.

There's nothing extreme about it. Baltimore's defense just shut down a comparable passing offense in Atlanta and KC just lost Hunt. When a team is hot, you have to respect it, and the Chiefs are due for a letdown game. Seems a perfect storm. Even if it's close, the Ravens have the hot hand and should win. I'd bet on them this week.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The Mahomes point you made is great and something that I don’t think gets brought up enough. Especially now with no Hunt I can’t see him being able to keep that pace up. Not to mention the Chiefs are notorious for fading late in seasons. Yeah the Chargers defense is top 5 in the league so definitely better than KC, even with a great safety in Berry getting healthy and coming back

I would think that but Spencer ware is an above average backup.

It wasnt too long ago that he was tearing it up for KC.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
There's nothing extreme about it. Baltimore's defense just shut down a comparable passing offense in Atlanta and KC just lost Hunt. When a team is hot, you have to respect it, and the Chiefs are due for a letdown game. Seems a perfect storm. Even if it's close, the Ravens have the hot hand and should win. I'd bet on them this week.
I wouldn't go so far as to "bet" on them, but I may be getting on board with the possibility that an upset could occur. And that would spell trouble.

The annoying thing is, Baltimore beating Tampa & Cleveland seems more likely than the Steelers winning @ Oakland & Cincy. They actually take care of business at home.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The worst part of it is, even if the Steelers do finish 8-7-1 and miss the playoffs, Art is too much of a chicken shit to do what needs to be done.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The worst part of it is, even if the Steelers do finish 8-7-1 and miss the playoffs, Art is too much of a chicken **** to do what needs to be done.
The sad reality is: who could you hire that is DEFINITIVELY an upgrade over Tomlin?

Butler/Danny Smith at least should go. I'm willing to bet there's SOMEONE out there that can do better than them at least. But maybe I'm wrong.

Let's hope they just find a way to finish strong and we don't have to have this talk. But everyone is going to be ready to fire Tomlin online if they screw up this weekend, and understandably so.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
They clearly don’t trust Conner and I don’t really blame them. You knew Conner would get hurt at some point, I’m surprised it took this long.

If only Bell had come back.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Doug Marone nearly went to the Super Bowl last year. Jon Gruden had sustained winning at two organizations. Even won a Super Bowl. It doesn't take a genius coach to win in the NFL when the talent is there. Tomlin is simply so inept he actually manages to lose with elite talent. He's a special kind of bad coach.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I would think that but Spencer ware is an above average backup.

It wasnt too long ago that he was tearing it up for KC.

I agree that Ware is an above average backup, but he just isn’t as dynamic as Hunt and you would think that would change up the playcalling at least a little

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Tomlin’s press conference was gold by the sounds of it.... he said they tried using“plenty of smoke and mirror plays” to confuse Rivers and that they used them and sometime you eventually “run out of smoke.” What does that even mean?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They clearly don’t trust Conner and I don’t really blame them. You knew Conner would get hurt at some point, I’m surprised it took this long.

If only Bell had come back.

They stopped using him after the concussion.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Tomlin’s press conference was gold by the sounds of it.... he said they tried using“plenty of smoke and mirror plays” to confuse Rivers and that they used them and sometime you eventually “run out of smoke.” What does that even mean?

It means they had no idea what they were doing and couldn't figure out a better way to cover Allen than sticking a LB on him

Reactions: Andy99

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The smoke and mirrors are the smoke and mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad