OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxide

Jan 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
You mean like they did with Antonio Brown? :laugh:

Only "receiver" more productive (in TD's) in the last 3 seasons is Gronkowski. Steelers are in deep **** without Wallace.

So I'm guessing you didn't see Wallace pouting half the time on the sidelines last year.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would be too if everyone deemed me as the bad guy, meanwhile I had QB's missing me on obvious TD passes. Did you totally miss the .gif I just posted from the Ravens game (the game we won) last season?

Everyone is hating on Wallace when clearly this organization ****ed up. The way they disrespected him was astonishing. He was pissed, and he was in the right; not the wrong.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not sure how the Steelers disrespected him or ****ed the situation up. Didn't Clayton report that the Steelers offered Wallace 10 million a year last off-season and the 49ers were apparently interested in offer-sheeting him as an RFA until they found out he was looking for an insane amount of money. Looks like he'll get that insane money from a desperate Miami team but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to give it to him.

Oxide

Jan 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, he is apparently getting offers up to 13 million a year. Which in no way the Steelers would sanely offer that.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not sure how the Steelers disrespected him or ****ed the situation up. Didn't Clayton report that the Steelers offered Wallace 10 million a year last off-season and the 49ers were apparently interested in offer-sheeting him as an RFA until they found out he was looking for an insane amount of money. Looks like he'll get that insane money from a desperate Miami team but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to give it to him.

The reports were they offered him Brown's contract. He said no, so they gave it to Brown.

If that's not a big F YOU I don't know what is.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The reports were they offered him Brown's contract. He said no, so they gave it to Brown.

If that's not a big F YOU I don't know what is.
There's some debate about the money that was offered. John Clayton did say we offered him 10 million a season. I remember him saying it on Sportscenter a while back.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Mike Wallace does not deserve the money he will get from the Dolphins, he is a one trick pony. He is not an elite WR, his only skill, in my opinion is his speed, he can't run routes and he's dropped how many passes?

Blame Ben all you want, but there have been numerous times where the ball would hit Wallace in the palms of his hands and 1 second later it would be bouncing off the turf.

A big F YOU to Wallace? How? Because we gave money to a harder working, more deserving player in Brown? Let's face it, Brown has been a committed player since day one, never complained about money, and has become more important to the Steelers than Mike Wallace. If anything, Wallace said F YOU to the Steelers for holding out. Brown is fast, can catch the ball and run routes, to me, that is what makes Brown a better WR than Wallace.

The Steelers will be fine without Wallace, he's one less distraction. We didn't win with him, so you can only win or lose without him. I really don't care for Mike Wallace.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why isn't it just a mutual walk?

Steelers don't have the money. Wallace wants the money. Money is more important to him then sticking with Ben. I'm not going to judge his character.

Remember one thing - no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. That's messed up. It's hard to not tell a player to take as much as he can because next year he can be a complete bust and be cut w/ losing part of his contract.

I think both parties are smart to move on. They can't pay him and it would be dumb to hand him 13m a season.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Wonder if that means they will cut ties with Colon?

It could happen. From what I've read if Colon is released now it saves $1.2 million but they'd save $5.5 million if they cut him post June 1st. I think they'll wait till after June 1st if they do it.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Why isn't it just a mutual walk?

Steelers don't have the money. Wallace wants the money. Money is more important to him then sticking with Ben. I'm not going to judge his character.

Remember one thing - no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. That's messed up. It's hard to not tell a player to take as much as he can because next year he can be a complete bust and be cut w/ losing part of his contract.

I think both parties are smart to move on. They can't pay him and it would be dumb to hand him 13m a season.

Oh I agree, and it technically is a mutual walk because the Steelers know he's gone and he knows he's leaving.

I just don't care for the "I'm the best" attitude. He held out until he couldn't anymore, he came back to a team with a new offensive structure and struggled, and still demands the big money,

I don't blame him for wanting the money, anyone would, it's just the way he carries himself, you know? Antonio Brown was never cocky, he has worked hard and earned his pay, so has Wallace, but Wallace is a "me first guy" and not a "team first guy" why couldn't he have come to camp and helped the team? Him missing as much practice and games that he did hurt the team.

It's selfish.

I liked Wallace when he was a Steeler, he made some good plays, he's an exciting player. I just don't like his attitude and I hate the fact that he's leaving and everyone's like "oh the Steelers are in trouble" like he was the only reason we were a 12-4 team that went to Super Bowl 45. We were an 8-8 team with him last year, losing him to free agency isn't going to make the Steelers an under .500 team.

Wonder if that means they will cut ties with Colon?

No, Colon's been a beast at LG, only way we cut ties with him is if his replacement is Warmack.

Foster adds quality (and much needed) depth to an offensive line that is always riddled with injuries.

Steelers need to sign Doug Legursky!

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I agree that Colon is a beast of a guard when healthy but he's so undependable because of injuries. Ramon Foster has been Mr. Dependable the past couple years as a starter. He rarely misses games and has played fairly well. The Steelers did recently tell Colon they didn't plan to release him or ask him to take a pay cut but that was also before they knew Ramon Foster would sign back. I'd like to keep both for the depth but it will be interesting to see how it plays out now.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
You know, it makes sense to release Willie after June 1st to save $5M in cap space.

Yeah a 3 year deal, he probably signed it with the knowledge that he would be a starter.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The Steelers releasing him after June 1st would push more dead money into the future though and they may not want to do that. It really wouldn't help them unless they want to give somebody a big extension after June 1st that would have a big cap number for this upcoming season. I don't think that 5.5 will help them now because they'd still have to wait until June 1st to get that space and they have to be cap compliant starting tomorrow anyway. I think they'd rather eat the cap hit now than push money into the future if they go in the direction of releasing him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Cardinals have released Beanie Wells. Ravens are apparently trying to trade Anquan Boldin. I'll definitely be happy when Boldin is out of this division.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Cardinals have released Beanie Wells. Ravens are apparently trying to trade Anquan Boldin. I'll definitely be happy when Boldin is out of this division.

sent to San Francisco for a 6th round pick.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
As @RavensInsider insider reported, WR Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick. WRs piling up in NFC West.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
sent to San Francisco for a 6th round pick.
Awesome. :laugh:

That has to be awkward coming off the Super Bowl against them. At least he's walking in there with a ring though. It's probably easier than coming from the losing team.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Greedy Flacco combined with dumb management cost them probably their most dangerous weapon. If not for Boldin, Flacco wouldn't have gotten his payday and the team probably wouldn't have won the SB.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
What question(s) did you have to answer?

they were superbowl trivia question. Wfan in NY holds it every year the week after the championship games.
i was lucky enough to have questions that were already asked during the week (some answered correctly, some not)

once you call and tell them who you're a fan of, the first 2 questions are usually about that team.

1. longest rushing TD
2. worst QB % by a winning QB
3.(trying to remember) either the highest scoring 2nd half or 3rd quarter. answer was pats/panthers

4. is usually an audio question where you have to guess the voice. its usually a guest they have had on the show... answer was john fox... talking about the the game in question #3

won the tickets, then had a bonus question to fly in a private jet (netjets sponsored this part of the contest)

bonus.. name the only PLay by play radio announcer to score a TD in the superbowl
A. jimmy cefalo

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Mike Wallace does not deserve the money he will get from the Dolphins, he is a one trick pony. He is not an elite WR, his only skill, in my opinion is his speed, he can't run routes and he's dropped how many passes?

Blame Ben all you want, but there have been numerous times where the ball would hit Wallace in the palms of his hands and 1 second later it would be bouncing off the turf.

A big F YOU to Wallace? How? Because we gave money to a harder working, more deserving player in Brown? Let's face it, Brown has been a committed player since day one, never complained about money, and has become more important to the Steelers than Mike Wallace. If anything, Wallace said F YOU to the Steelers for holding out. Brown is fast, can catch the ball and run routes, to me, that is what makes Brown a better WR than Wallace.
of course Ab isnt gonna complain, he got his payday a year earlier then wally at a thrid (if that) of his production

The Steelers will be fine without Wallace, he's one less distraction. We didn't win with him, so you can only win or lose without him. I really don't care for Mike Wallace.

the problem is that we likely have to replace his production with a pick we could have used to shore up another area. now multiply that when we traded holmes for nothing and let plax leave for nothing.
thats three #1 receiver types that we have to replace in 8 years.

and somehow fans dont understand why the offense has struggled all these years

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Surprising that Foster is signed a day before free agency starts. He's a dependable guard. It'll be interesting if he can play in zone blocking scheme since we have a new position coach.

I definitely think Colon will be cut on June 1. Each team have up to 2 players to be cut on June 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad