OT: The Pittsburgher Thread | R.I.P. Mr. Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't understand this comparison one bit. Conner is a truck, a classic power back that can move the chains and grind out yardage. Explosive? At times, but that is not his style.

If you would have told me before his MCL injury that the Steelers would get him with basically an early 4th round pick, I would have laughed myself nearly to death.

What about the comparison is difficult to understand? Derrick Henry is a more athletic version of James Conner and he wasn't a first round pick either. They're both power backs who run with a very high pad level and have better burst than long speed. Henry simply has more NFL projection because he's more physically gifted. Conner was never going to be a first round prospect pre-injury and I'm extremely skeptical that he'd have been taken in the second. That's my point. It may work out and obviously I'm rooting for Conner as hard as anybody, but I think there's a bit of mythologizing going on with regard to how much of a "steal" he is. He may prove to be one based on his NFL performance, but not in the sense that this was a guy who'd have gone much higher if he had stayed healthy.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I love the Conner pick. Upside for the Steelers is huge and the downside is barely negligible. Character is important and this kid has it. If it doesn't work (I don't believe it won't) it still was a good risky move that will benefit the Steelers regardless. I like they are taking the risk. They have afterall been able to see this kid firsthand at the facility.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
One thing I like is it seems like the Steelers got guys who have good leadership, disposition, and work ethic to go along with good measurables. Conner didn't have great measurables, but they weren't terrible and how much was he still lagging due to the cancer?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are they going to get some help in the secondary?

I like Conner but I wish we would have addressed the secondary. Williams is a decent RB back-up and some secondary starters are pretty terrible.

I like Conner and his story but I just don't like the pick when we have other more pressing needs.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

I like Conner but I wish we would have addressed the secondary. Williams is a decent RB back-up and some secondary starters are pretty terrible.

I like Conner and his story but I just don't like the pick when we have other more pressing needs.

Steelers picked up a CB in the 3rd round.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Plus Williams is a free agent on the verge of retirement, a RB was going to be drafted in this draft. Our #2 running back entering yesterday was Toussaint, which wasn't going to hold.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Steelers keep focusing their premium picks on defense year after year, meanwhile, Bell is always hurt when it matters, Bryant is a weedhead that may be out of the league permanently at any given time, and Green has concussion issues.

That leaves AB and ?.... that are reliable weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad