OT: The Pittsburgher Thread | R.I.P. Mr. Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. The stats are there against New England. The record is there for NE. The eye test is there. The announcers know. The fans know it. And yet Tomlin doesn't even try to change it. Since 2007, Brady was 7-0 against us? 22 tds to 0 interceptions? Undefeated in the playoffs? Not a single interception. Not any pressure. Zone never worked. But they keep doing it year in and year out.

I mean what else do you want? Why did you think a different result was going to happen. Even the announcers IN THE FIRST HALF were saying the Steelers had to try different things and they didn't in the 2nd half.

Why? Why is that acceptable? Is that the standard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I remember all the years geniuses like you were saying the same **** about Sid and Geno as they were hung out to dry by incompetent management and coaching.

It was as dumb then as it is now.

EDIT: And tell me the last time Haley, Butler, and Tomlin outcoached or even slightly surprised an elite coaching staff.

Coaching is different discussion and I agree.

But for people to assume that Ben may not be declining due to wear and tear are wearing blinders. He has had a ton of leg injuries and it could finally be catching up with him. Not every QB last until 40 like Brady or Manning. All I'm saying is that if I'm the Steelers, I'm getting nervous about Ben and starting to find that replacement plan.

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
Tomlin should be fired for this. at the very least be brought into the office, and told another performance like this, and you're out of a job

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. The stats are there against New England. The record is there for NE. The eye test is there. The announcers know. The fans know it. And yet Tomlin doesn't even try to change it. Since 2007, Brady was 7-0 against us? 22 tds to 0 interceptions? Undefeated in the playoffs?

I mean what else do you want? Why did you think a different result was going to happen. Even the announcers IN THE FIRST HALF were saying the Steelers had to try different things and they didn't in the 2nd half.

Haha, Phil Simms was practically laughing at the Steelers and their defensive decisions.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
mike-tomlin-steelers-hillary-clinton-06-13-16.jpg

Please God, give me a clue. I would change if I was smart enough to, but .... maybe if I go for it on fourth down again?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. The stats are there. The record is there. The eye test is there. The announcers know. The fans know it. And yet Tomlin doesn't even try to change it. Since 2007, Brady was 7-0 against us? 22 tds to 0 interceptions? Undefeated in the playoffs?

It's Ben's fault, silly. :laugh:

What's going to be icing on the cake here is when NOBODY in the Pittsburgh media calls out the stupidity.

Guys 10-15 yards off. Nobody jammed anywhere. Zone with LB's on Hogan and Edelman. You can't make this **** up. It's sickening already. Win. Lose. I don't care. I wouldn't have cared. But, for ***** sake, don't coach to lose, and that is precisely what the Steelers did today. This game was over the second Butler came out with those cushions and in zone.

EDIT: One thing missed here . . . even if the Steelers jam, it might not have made a difference. The reason to jam is to throw off the timing for the quick pattern. The Steelers pas rush was OWNED by the Pats OL today. Brady had all day and then some. So, even if you jam, play man, and go cover two behind it, he's still got all day for stuff to get open probably. That said, just ******* TRY something different. :rant:

Haha, Phil Simms was practically laughing at the Steelers and their defensive decisions.

No, he was ACTUALLY laughing at them.

But for people to assume that Ben may not be declining due to wear and tear are wearing blinders. He has had a ton of leg injuries and it could finally be catching up with him. Not every QB last until 40 like Brady or Manning. All I'm saying is that if I'm the Steelers, I'm getting nervous about Ben and starting to find that replacement plan.

Again, if Brady is on the Steelers, he couldn't have made the OL block, Haley call a good game, or the receivers hold balls/consisently beat man coverage, and if Ben is on the Pats, then he'd have had all day to throw, a good OC, and wide open receivers all day. It's not rocket science.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I'd be more concerned about the lack of any receiving threat behind Brown. Landry Jones or whoever your imaginary replacement QB is is doing even less than Ben did with this receiving group.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tomlin should be fired for this. at the very least be brought into the office, and told another performance like this, and you're out of a job

And there has been rumblings as of late about the accountability in the locker room. How the Rooneys and what not are not happy with the recent Brown antics. They have to be frustrated that the threw yet another stinker.

It's ****ing ridiculous and if you are going to say "The standard is the standard" and all the other goofy ****, then you better not accept being terrible. If we measure ourselves by Lombardy trophies, then why didn't you prep to take down a Tom Brady machine that owned you for years?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

What's going to be icing on the cake here is when NOBODY in the Pittsburgh media calls out the stupidity.

Guys 10-15 yards off. Nobody jammed anywhere. Zone with LB's on Hogan and Edelman. You can't make this **** up. It's sickening already. Win. Lose. I don't care. I wouldn't have cared. But, for ***** sake, don't coach to lose, and that is precisely what the Steelers did today. This game was over the second Butler came out with those cushions and in zone.

EDIT: One thing missed here . . . even if the Steelers jam, it might not have made a difference. The reason to jam is to throw off the timing for the quick pattern. The Steelers pas rush was OWNED by the Pats OL today. Brady had all day and then some. So, even if you jam, play man, and go cover two behind it, he's still got all day for stuff to get open probably. That said, just ******* TRY something different. :rant:

Haha....I think you are right.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'd be shocked, KIRK. Simms earned my respect tonight. He just flat out called it like it is. He straight up questioned why the Steelers didn't change. I thought he put forth the dialog in a very nice way as he is supposed to not do stuff like that. I thought he was terrific in how he started that dialog.

Hopefully the media catches wind with it.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'd be more concerned about the lack of any receiving threat behind Brown. Landry Jones or whoever your imaginary replacement QB is is doing even less than Ben did with this receiving group.

Well he get's back a beast next year in Bryant, hopefully, and then we will revisit the topic.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Again, if Brady is on the Steelers, he couldn't have made the OL block, Haley call a good game, or the receivers hold balls/consisently beat man coverage, and if Ben is on the Pats, then he'd have had all day to throw, a good OC, and wide open receivers all day. It' not rocket science.

Laugh all you want, but you can't answer my question. Name the last big game or playoff game where BEN was the best player on the field.

I'm waiting.... crickets....

Laugh away

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
And there has been rumblings as of late about the accountability in the locker room. How the Rooneys and what not are not happy with the recent Brown antics. They have to be frustrated that the threw yet another stinker.

It's ****ing ridiculous and if you are going to say "The standard is the standard" and all the other goofy ****, then you better not accept being terrible. If we measure ourselves by Lombardy trophies, then why didn't you prep to take down a Tom Brady machine that owned you for years?

the standard is the standard is about as dumb as We just got to get to our game. Sick of hearing it. We have a first ballot HOFer in Ben and I feel like his best years have been wasted.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Laugh all you want, but you can't answer my question. Name the last big game or playoff game where BEN was the best player on the field.

Laugh away

Who was better than him today? He picked it up after Bell went down, IMO. Who was better? It's not picking out of a nice bunch but out of the pile of ****, it was probably Ben.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Made a smart decision and sat this one out. Went to dinner with my family and actually decided to enjoy my evening and played with my kids.

Figured they would run zone and get put in a Mayo jar as usual - glancing over the comments, they did it again eh?

Unreal. It's like you know they will do it and when you find out they did, it's still mind numbing...

Love Tomlin's eye for talent, but I stand by my comments about him being a DB clone.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He was asked about press coverage. Tomlin said "We stand by what we did. We just didn't do it good enough."

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Laugh away

You can't seem to grasp the fact that Ben isn't the problem with the Steelers right now. Not even close.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For real?

Was he drinking a bottle of Dasani water while he answered?

That 100% was his answer. I was watching the press conference on CW. I just needed to hear his response. I couldn't believe it. His arrogance... unreal.

He was also asked the question "Are you philosophically against the QB Sneak?" Tomlin answered "No." and immediately looked away. Didn't allow the follow up question from the reporter.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He was asked about press coverage. Tomlin said "We stand by what we did. We just didn't do it good enough."

Wow, who does that sound like?

9614816_orig.jpg

"You can do everything right and that doesn't mean you're going to win," the Pittsburgh Penguins coach said Wednesday."

"We're not happy with how we've played and getting to our game throughout the year," said Bylsma. "We know we've been a little inconsistent with it. ... We have not gotten to the consistency we know we're going to need."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-team-will-be-able-to-turn-it-up-for-playoffs

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Who was better than him today? He picked it up after Bell went down, IMO. Who was better? It's not picking out of a nice bunch but out of the pile of ****, it was probably Ben.

9 points when it counted tonight.
18 points last week and we could have easily lost.
Bengals first round last year, he played so bad in that first half. Game should have been a blowout but we won because Cincy had a meltdown.
I'll excuse Denver last year because their D was great.

I'm not hating on BEN. I'm just looking at the numbers and his performance in big game and I am very concerned that his best days are not only in his past but that his big drop might be sooner than we think.

You only have a certain number of hits your body can take and Ben has taken a ton of abuse. Not sure why people are melting down when I'm suggesting we might be seeing the end of Ben when the guy is in his mid 30's and has an extensive history of leg injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad