GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Playoff Round 1 - Saints vs Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I hope we play the chargers again... that team is so overrated. They've been so lucky on their streak. It's like the reverse of what the steelers were doing.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I hope we play the chargers again... that team is so overrated. They've been so lucky on their streak. It's like the reverse of what the steelers were doing.

Ummm huh? I’m not in anyway saying the Chargers would come in here and stomp the Steelers in a rematch because beating the same team twice in one year is incredibly hard especially on the road but what about their streak has been lucky?

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I would like to think that the Chargers understand that they can’t hit a speed bump in these last two weeks because of their division hopes and I think they take care of business on Saturday night
Baltimore has been racking up W's old school. First team to rush for 190+ yards in 5 straight games since the '76 Steelers, and I'm guessing their D is at or around the top of the league, probably like the '76 Steelers' was too.

If they gave KC a scare @ KC, they can give the Chargers a scare in their soccer stadium.

I'm still not buying Lamar Jackson. But what they've been running with him since they've had him starting has been working... for now.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I thought the same after that game. But the "revenge" playoff game at home didn't go so well last year. And the Chargers may have 2 key weapons they didn't have in our last match-up in Melvin Gordon & Hunter Henry.

Reactions: KIRK

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Baltimore has been racking up W's old school. First team to rush for 190+ yards in 5 straight games since the '76 Steelers, and I'm guessing their D is at or around the top of the league, probably like the '76 Steelers' was too.

If they gave KC a scare @ KC, they can give the Chargers a scare in their soccer stadium.

I'm still not buying Lamar Jackson. But what they've been running with him since they've had him starting has been working... for now.

I agree that it’s working. I’m very curious to see what would happen (and this is what I think will happen Saturday) if the Ravens trailed by 10 or more points. I don’t believe Lamar Jackson can bring a team back from a multi point deficit

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I agree that it’s working. I’m very curious to see what would happen (and this is what I think will happen Saturday) if the Ravens trailed by 10 or more points. I don’t believe Lamar Jackson can bring a team back from a multi point deficit
Agree, though with the way they've possessed the ball and the way they play defense... it's been hard to get a 2+ score lead on them. They also gave New Orleans a scare, granted that was at Baltimore and before this whole Lamar Jackson starting era.

Not even the mighty Chiefs could, but they also couldn't defend the run.

And here's something to consider, the teams they've beaten these last 5 weeks and how they rank in Run D (rushing yards against):

Bucs 27th
Chiefs 26th
Falcons 25th
Raiders 32nd
Bengals 29th

Chargers are 9th.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Just taking a quick look, we need the Chargers to beat the Ravens and the Steelers should be good. Because the Titans and Colts have to play each other. Of course, they would have to beat the Bengals who will be trying to play spoil and injure. Basically an extra playoff game. Beating the Saints would let them take that week off which would be nice.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I thought the same after that game. But the "revenge" playoff game at home didn't go so well last year. And the Chargers may have 2 key weapons they didn't have in our last match-up in Melvin Gordon & Hunter Henry.

The difference is that the Jags deserved to win the regular season game. Chargers should have lost
Ummm huh? I’m not in anyway saying the Chargers would come in here and stomp the Steelers in a rematch because beating the same team twice in one year is incredibly hard especially on the road but what about their streak has been lucky?

I've watched the last 3 of their last 4 games. They have gotten every call in every key moment that they needed. Hadden with the INT gets tackled by is own guy ball goes right to the chargers player for a TD. They looked terrible against denver.

I'm not saying they dont deserve to be in the playoffs, but if I have my choice on who the steelers play out of any of the top 5 potential teams it would be them by a longshot.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
The difference is that the Jags deserved to win the regular season game. Chargers should have lost

I've watched the last 3 of their last 4 games. They have gotten every call in every key moment that they needed. Hadden with the INT gets tackled by is own guy ball goes right to the chargers player for a TD. They looked terrible against denver.

I'm not saying they dont deserve to be in the playoffs, but if I have my choice on who the steelers play out of any of the top 5 potential teams it would be them by a longshot.

They outgained Denver in every facet besides rushing and the only reason they lost that game was because Rivers had a brain fart and threw an incompletion instead of taking a sack to let time roll off the clock on their final possession. Yeah they got lucky with the Haden play but you need luck to win. Nothing about overcoming 3 separate 14 point deficits against KC at Arrowhead was lucky. They got 2 breaks against the Steelers and capitalized. Regardless though I don’t think you get your wish at least not in the wild card round because I think KC is going to lose to Seattle (because it’s in Seattle) and I think the Chargers are going to win out

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Good teams make their luck.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Just taking a quick look, we need the Chargers to beat the Ravens and the Steelers should be good. Because the Titans and Colts have to play each other. Of course, they would have to beat the Bengals who will be trying to play spoil and injure. Basically an extra playoff game. Beating the Saints would let them take that week off which would be nice.
The good thing about the Bengals game is they'll be going against Jeff Driskel, and no AJ Green/probably no Tyler Boyd who was a problem in their last matchup. But still, obviously have to take that one seriously and watch out for the dirty BS. Pretty sure Mixon has been solid as of late too.

@Shwag33 that's true - Jacksonville as a team generally have had the Steelers' number of late (even this year - the Steelers were lucky to win that game).

As much as we were all freaking out about the Steelers last week, the NFL as a whole looks pretty open this year. So if you want to say they have no chance to win it all with their defense, coaching, special teams or whatever - you can pull any team slotted in the playoffs/in the hunt now and say "they won't win it all because of (X reason)". I mean, not that I'm betting on the Steelers as they have more issues than the top contenders and I don't think they even have that good of a chance, heck making the playoffs is still even in doubt. But who knows.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Exactly. But if the Ravens beat the Chargers we are likely missing the playoffs

Dont count out the Browns beating the Ravens again.

Still think we can beat the Saints if Ben stops with the INTs. Or we dont fumble the game away(Ben throws no INTs against Denver but Grimble and Conner fumble...then came the picks).

Edmunds, Heyward, and Dupree are banged up. The Saints LT and Center are as well. We'll see who plays. Saints coming off shorter rest.

Conner will be back to go with Samuels...use that duo right and we could see our offense firing on all cylinders again...especially now that Washington is involved and Eli is back.

Next two weeks will be interesting. Playoffs already started.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The best thing for the Steelers is go into the playoffs as underdogs. They will have a higher chance of winning.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014

I hope we play them because I don’t know who else we could beat

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Here's a typical yinzer media stooge tweet:

Yeah, let's believe a defense that looked like a disorganized mess all season all the sudden looked respectable and had absolutely nothing to do with the outsider they brought in. :shakehead

Admitting an adjustment was made and worked is a sign of weakness still apparently.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think we’ll get another one in as a replacement player. Ben is second in the nfl in passing yards, so it could be him. TJ definitely could be there, but I’m happy with the 6 selected. 4 as starters too.

And as far as snubs, just look at Darius Leonard. Dude is a beast and should be there.

Last edited:

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
offensive line pretty much get the respect they deserve. Juju should be there, but in Brown spot. Hard to see Ben and T.J Watt not in but other are more deserving. Ben have too much Interception this year, but Brady got in just on reputation, still a great qb, but no top of the class this year

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think we’ll get another one in as a replacement player. Ben is second in the nfl in passing yards, so it could be him. TJ definitely could be there, but I’m happy with the 6 selected. 4 as starters too.

And as far as snubs, just look at Darius Leonard. Dude is a beast and should be there.

Yeah both should have made it over Dee Ford. 11.5 sacks and 6 FF is good. But Watt has 11, 4 FF to go with 20 QB hits. Dont know how anyone from Chiefs D made it.

Leonard leading the league in tackles by over 20.

Only 3 OLBs made it so will be snubs every year

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Here's a typical yinzer media stooge tweet:

Yeah, let's believe a defense that looked like a disorganized mess all season all the sudden looked respectable and had absolutely nothing to do with the outsider they brought in. :shakehead

Admitting an adjustment was made and worked is a sign of weakness still apparently.

I honestly don't think anything changed. Drops and penalties helped more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad