GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Playoff Round 1 - Saints vs Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So two guys that got fired because they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs.... ummm... and your point is?

Hey, remember when John Fox was fired in Denver after going 13-3, 13-3 and 12-4 because he couldn’t get it done either?

What did Elway say when he fired such a “successful” coach... oh right, he didn’t think he could get it done when it mattered.

What happened after Fox was fired, despite doing all that regular season winning?

How about Marty Schottenheimer getting fried after going 14-2 with an MVP running back in his prime because the organization didn’t think he could get it down when it mattered

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How about Marty Schottenheimer getting fried after going 14-2 with an MVP running back in his prime because the organization didn’t think he could get it down when it mattered

That’s the part of the argument people miss. Who are they gonna hire that will do better robble robble robble... maybe no one, but Tomlin has already proven again and again and again and again and again he can’t get it done.

And once again, it’s not some bad luck, it’s a consistent pattern of his teams being unprepared and outcoached. But suddenly he’s going to learn how to coach well after a decade of this silliness... ok...

Reactions: td_ice

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think it’s funny how the Tomlin bashing goes up the day AFTER he outcoaches Belichick.

Outcoached?

Move aside that the Steelers had to farm out the defense to someone who actually had beaten the Pats and contained Brady in the past, you can't overlook the talent discrepancy and the Steelers STILL barely held on.

This is the worst Pats team since Brady and because of that this year is consensus Belichick's best coaching of his career.

Belichick could be dead and his weekend with Bernie's corpse would outcoached Tomlin.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He's not worth the 20 mil he wants... that becomes more apparent every game. Nobody misses him. Do they?

He's comfortably better than both Samuels and Conner. He's also a disruptive twat who isn't worth the money that he wants. So yeah, I'd say they miss him on the field, but not as much as they would if he had handled this whole situation better.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Tomlin out coached Belichek?

That's like saying I'm better looking than Tom Brady who bangs women just as hot as he has/does.

I mean, you might be. He's a super average looking dude, he's just rich and takes care of his body.

The second part depends on what you think of Gisele. For me, there are millions of more attractive women.

All of that said, Tomlin didn't outcoach Belichick. If anything, I'd say that Belichick made uncharacteristic mistakes that brought him down to Tomlin's level.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Andy Reid chokes every season so no he really isn’t that great. While Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy have been gifted great QB’s they have had nowhere near the supporting casts that Ben and Tomlin have had. Payton or McCarthy would have 1 or 2 more rings with the Steelers then Tomlin has

And Saints turned things around because of going 7-9 for 3 straight seasons. Thats how they rebuilt their D. Selecting 11th and 12th overall they went heavy on D. Sheldon Rankins and Lattimore were their first round picks. Marcus Williams, Vonn Bell on D as well were early 2nd rounders. Michael Thomas early in the 2nd. Guys we would have had to take in the 1st.

Yet we still landed Watt, Juju, Conner in 2017. Davis and Hargrave in 2016(Burns was the bust...so far at least). And this past draft we will see but Washington, Chuks, and Samuels could end up being huge factors on offense down the road. As well as Rudolph who knows.

But the Saints are where they are at now because they under achieved for 3 straight seasons. Still have to pick well but having 11th and 12th overall in each round is alot better than where we pick. Could only imagine if we were able to pick there.

Defense would have been rebuilt by now...and still almost there. Few pieces away. Cb2, ILB, OLB(fine with Dupree right now but will need to replace soon or at least have another to back up). Another DL after that. If we can do well in those areas , making guys like Bostic, etc as backups for these next few seasons that would put us over the top. Until we have to sign Watt, Juju, etc. Then the depth would take a bit of a hit.

But 2019, if we have a solid draft and spend like we should in FA...that will be our best chance at winning it all.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I mean, you might be. He's a super average looking dude, he's just rich and takes care of his body.

The second part depends on what you think of Gisele. For me, there are millions of more attractive women.

All of that said, Tomlin didn't outcoach Belichick. If anything, I'd say that Belichick made uncharacteristic mistakes that brought him down to Tomlin's level.

I agree completely on Gisele. But I've got zero issue saying Brady, at least in his prime was a very handsome man. Better looking men out there for sure (damn I feel like I'm really pushing this haha) but we were on the Pats and Belichek so I went with an easy target. :laugh:

Reactions: Brandinho

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If we were already a lock for the playoffs..that wouldnt have happened lol

Def favored us a bit. Pats getting called for holding multiple times wiping out big gains? Never happens. Even at the end there...that holding call was huge. They would have tied it if not for that.

Steelers are a big draw...they wanted us in. Not to mention finally beating the Pats is a big story..in case of rematch or whatver. Or it was Goodells way of making us have to deal with Tomlin for more years...him finally beating the Pats and keeping his job...that ****

Honestly, I feel the same way. If you take away the obvious calls - false starts. It was 9 for them and 4 for us which is normal for most games. But we are so use to them getting nothing called on them and everything on us. It feels funny. Like I'm obviously happy they won but also mad because if every game against them was fairly called our record would be a lot better and maybe have another Super Bowl.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Outcoached?

Move aside that the Steelers had to farm out the defense to someone who actually had beaten the Pats and contained Brady in the past, you can't overlook the talent discrepancy and the Steelers STILL barely held on.

This is the worst Pats team since Brady and because of that this year is consensus Belichick's best coaching of his career.

Belichick could be dead and his weekend with Bernie's corpse would outcoached Tomlin.
Yes, outcoached. I like how you use the guy coming in to help like it’s a bad thing. Isn’t it good coaching to put your team in the best situation to win? To have them as prepared as possible for the challenge ahead?

And what talent discrepancy? Both defenses aren’t that good. But you have Brady, Edelman, Gronk, Gordon, White, Michel and Hogan on one side, and Ben, AB, Juju, McDonald, and Samuels on the other side. I don’t see some sort of big discrepancy there.

They held the 7th highest scoring team in the league (26.7 PPG) to ten points. For god sakes, if you can bash him for the miscues in Oakland, Denver, etc., he can get a little praise for yesterday’s win.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
That’s the part of the argument people miss. Who are they gonna hire that will do better robble robble robble... maybe no one, but Tomlin has already proven again and again and again and again and again he can’t get it done.

And once again, it’s not some bad luck, it’s a consistent pattern of his teams being unprepared and outcoached. But suddenly he’s going to learn how to coach well after a decade of this silliness... ok...

Take Matt Nagy for example. I really never heard much hype around him and look at Chicago now. I know they have a great defense but look at how is setting Trubisky up for success. He understands that his QB has limitations and builds up a scheme that allows him to succeed

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If Tomlin bears the blame for losing to Oakland, surely he deserves the praise for beating the Patriots.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Brees with a pick. Cant get anything going.

Panthers always play them tough. Now I wish Rams would have won last night in case Panthers win tonight.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Saints need to win tonight so they are not desperate Sunday to beat the Steelers....they need 2 out of 3wins to clinch home field...

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
That interception and return the other way should be worth more than 2 points.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Would be nice if our D could do this to the Saints

Can we get a ILB like Keuchly? Too much to ask?

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Now Panthers can take it to OT after that play. Hope they do.

Play 10 more mins of football...into Tuesday morning . Short week

Edit : Newton is horrible.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Talk about a meltdown for the Panthers. Went into Pittsburgh at 6-2 and lost six straight since then.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Saints lose two OL tonight. Unger(Center) and their LT, whos already replacing their true starter.

Unger leaving with a concussion. Could be a situaton like I said...they decide to keep these guys out until the following week to not risk further injury since this will be a short week.

Tho we lost with the Broncos playing with 3 back up OL anyway.

But Ill take anything for our D to have a better chance at getting to Brees.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
You know it doesn't work that way right?.........

I was under the impression Guaranteed money is Guaranteed unless a contract stipulation is placed in the contract.

I mean you can spread the guaranteed money out over yrs. But I'm figuring he wants it all in short time, if not all at once.

Base salary, however is forfeit during any players suspension.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Boswell is so fortunate to be on this team. 90% of GM’s would have given up on Boswell weeks ago, rightfully so. I’d still cut him tomorrow if I was North Side Kevin, but that’s not how our team that is stuck in the 1900’s do things.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The Saints aren’t as great as everyone seems to think, but it’s no surprise that their divisional foes, as mediocre as they may be, have given them trouble for stretches this year. Can’t overlook them because of that.

We seem to assume games like this will be shootouts... and maybe... but both defenses played well this weekend.

Aside from the big names Brees, Thomas, Kamara/Ingram, their offense is kinda all over the place. Taysom Hill gonna come in and run behind Zach Line? Or dare I say pass? Big Dan Arnold? Benjamin Watson over the middle? Who knows.

Not sure what exactly to expect but one thing is for sure, the Chargers better not screw up against the Ravens, or else we’ll be back to where we were for the Patriots game. And I’d really rather this one not be a “must win”, but hope the team treats it as such to either stay alive or just clinch the damn division.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
The Saints aren’t as great as everyone seems to think, but it’s no surprise that their divisional foes, as mediocre as they may be, have given them trouble for stretches this year. Can’t overlook them because of that.

We seem to assume games like this will be shootouts... and maybe... but both defenses played well this weekend.

Aside from the big names Brees, Thomas, Kamara/Ingram, their offense is kinda all over the place. Taysom Hill gonna come in and run behind Zach Line? Or dare I say pass? Big Dan Arnold? Benjamin Watson over the middle? Who knows.

Not sure what exactly to expect but one thing is for sure, the Chargers better not screw up against the Ravens, or else we’ll be back to where we were for the Patriots game. And I’d really rather this one not be a “must win”, but hope the team treats it as such to either stay alive or just clinch the damn division.

I would like to think that the Chargers understand that they can’t hit a speed bump in these last two weeks because of their division hopes and I think they take care of business on Saturday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad