OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Ju-Ju, Bryant and Brown ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I thought I heard Ben say "Dilly Dilly" one pre snap play sequence. They just showed it on NFL network. Great stuff!!
That reminds me of a time when I was playing. Our o-line called protection once they broke the huddle and were getting set. As a joke, one lineman in practice yelled “dinky do, dinky do!” as the protection (there was no dinky do) My coach blew his whistle and went storming out, yelling “dinky do?! What the f*** is dinky do?!” Haha.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Your commentary did not disappoint. Thanks for the Friday morning read. Let's go Steelers!

The worst part about TNF is that it feels like 2 weeks until the next game.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Your commentary did not disappoint. Thanks for the Friday morning read. Let's go Steelers!

The worst part about TNF is that it feels like 2 weeks until the next game.
Predictably, there’s about ten pages of first half bitching. Then the Steelers dominated the second half and there’s like a page and a half. Not saying I wasn’t yelling at the tv during the first half too, but it’s just funny to see.

Reactions: BumFortyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought I heard Ben say "Dilly Dilly" one pre snap play sequence. They just showed it on NFL network. Great stuff!!

Heard this as well. Props to the overhead camera/mic. Gave a great perspective of the actual game. Shows great route running, concepts of defense, deception, just how early the QB releases the ball when the WR doesn't even break yet, etc. Loved it.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Predictably, there’s about ten pages of first half *****ing. Then the Steelers dominated the second half and there’s like a page and a half. Not saying I wasn’t yelling at the tv during the first half too, but it’s just funny to see.

Don't forget the predictable post of you complaining about everyone else complaining like you do in every other thread!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Predictably, there’s about ten pages of first half *****ing. Then the Steelers dominated the second half and there’s like a page and a half. Not saying I wasn’t yelling at the tv during the first half too, but it’s just funny to see.

To be fair, the Steelers should dominate the Titans. This is a team that let Houston hang 57 on them. They're garbage. The only reason they have a decent record is because they've played an incredibly soft schedule.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Heard this as well. Props to the overhead camera/mic. Gave a great perspective of the actual game. Shows great route running, concepts of defense, deception, just how early the QB releases the ball when the WR doesn't even break yet, etc. Loved it.

I liked the overhead as well. I don't think it needs to be used as much as it was but still great stuff!! I liked watching the defense and how quick the reactions are even for the big 350 lb guys. Cool perspective.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Don't forget the predictable post of you complaining about everyone else complaining like you do in every other thread!

I apologize for that. I will fall in line and complain like everyone else when things are going bad and not be happy or post positive things when stuff goes well in the future. Won’t make the same mistake twice.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
True, it would be difficult to play without a quarterback. Ben's been slightly worse than league average this year, though. I'd much rather have him than Jones or Dobbs, but that's based on what I know that he's capable of doing rather than what he's actually done.

The guy is 36, so he is bound to slow down. That said, this team is 8-2 & wouldn't be so without him.....

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The guy is 36, so he is bound to slow down. That said, this team is 8-2 & wouldn't be so without him.....

Agreed and the reality is Ben is getting a bit stronger each game. I thought he threw the ball well last night. Heck even one of the greatest of all time in Manning had a noodle arm by the end. That's life. Father time wins every single battle.

But #7 looks better each week.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Of course he's bound to slow down, which he has. I don't blame him for the unfortunate reality of aging. Ben's taken a lot more abuse over his career than most QBs have, so I'm actually surprised the decline hadn't started sooner. With that said, I really don't understand the point of saying that we wouldn't be 8-2 without him. That isn't any sort of rational defense of his performance this year, which is what you seem to be arguing. Your original statement was, and I quote, "The only reason we are where we are is due to a Hall of Fame QB." I'm sorry, but that's silly. Ben isn't even top 5 in terms of reasons why we're 8-2 this season.

It goes without saying that we would most likely not be 8-2 with Landry Jones starting, but that's because he's an average backup and a below-average starter. If we didn't have Ben, we'd have an additional $18.2 million in cap space, which would surely be spent on a quarterback better than Landry Jones. Maybe that QB doesn't throw 5 INTs against the Jaguars and we're 9-1. It's all hypothetical. What's tangible is Ben's performance to date this season, which has been disappointing. Yesterday, he looked good for the first time all year. Shades of old Ben. The Titans are awful, but it's a sign of progress, so I'll take it. I won't, however, ignore the way he's looked for most of the first 9 games.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Dilly Dilly was funny the first few times (hearing it in a football game was pretty cool to be fair). Now I just want to falcon punch every person who says it within ear shot.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Of course he's bound to slow down, which he has. I don't blame him for the unfortunate reality of aging. Ben's taken a lot more abuse over his career than most QBs have, so I'm actually surprised the decline hadn't started sooner. With that said, I really don't understand the point of saying that we wouldn't be 8-2 without him. That isn't any sort of rational defense of his performance this year, which is what you seem to be arguing. Your original statement was, and I quote, "The only reason we are where we are is due to a Hall of Fame QB." I'm sorry, but that's silly. Ben isn't even top 5 in terms of reasons why we're 8-2 this season.

It goes without saying that we would most likely not be 8-2 with Landry Jones starting, but that's because he's an average backup and a below-average starter. If we didn't have Ben, we'd have an additional $18.2 million in cap space, which would surely be spent on a quarterback better than Landry Jones. Maybe that QB doesn't throw 5 INTs against the Jaguars and we're 9-1. It's all hypothetical. What's tangible is Ben's performance to date this season, which has been disappointing. Yesterday, he looked good for the first time all year. Shades of old Ben. The Titans are awful, but it's a sign of progress, so I'll take it. I won't, however, ignore the way he's looked for most of the first 9 games.

That's a false hypothetical which is completely untestable. You make the assumption we could even find a QB better than Landry Jones. There are a ton of mediocre to below avg QBs out there. The chances of finding something significantly better is pretty low. And if you take Ben out of the equation, this team is no where near 8-2.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
That's a false hypothetical which is completely untestable. You make the assumption we could even find a QB better than Landry Jones. There are a ton of mediocre to below avg QBs out there. The chances of finding something significantly better is pretty low. And if you take Ben out of the equation, this team is no where near 8-2.

If you take Bell or Brown or Heyward or Haden or DeCastro or Pouncey or Shazier out, the team probably isn't 8-2 either. You're giving way too much credit to Ben when his performance has been average this year. Not average by his standards either, he's been average by league standards. Your entire argument is hypothetical, so I fail to see how you can object when I answer your hypothetical with one of my own.

Even with Ben's exceptional performance against Tennessee, he's 15th in the NFL in points added, 15th in QBR and 11th in adjusted QBR. I cannot fathom by what possible metric you could argue that he's the biggest reason for our success this year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If people think the coaching we saw yesterday is going to beat the Pats, and really that's all that matters with this team right now, they are going to have another rude awakening.

Hopefully they start by removing Haleys ego from the equation....

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
The best Pitt QB in many years is getting his shot today as a true freshman. Dude has all - and I mean all the tools. Accurate & strong arm, excellent runner, checking down his decision tree, finesse, the "IT" factor.

I think this kid has All-American potential by year 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad