OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Have no idea what they see in VW to sign him for 4 years...hopefully the guarantees are low...

Steelers never learn in the draft...only three or four draft picks at best are going to amount to anything....they had a real need at ILB...when the first one went off the board they should have been moving up ASAP....instead, they stay put and get whatever...what makes a team a SB contender is having special players...I’d rather come out of the draft with three quality players who have a chance to be special than 7 meh picks...

They did try to move up and draft Rashaan Evans but the price was too steep. Which would've been a mistake looking back. He's hardly practice and only made it through 3 reps before getting hurt again. Edmunds has impressed during camp, and even during the preseason he is always near the ball.

"I’d rather come out of the draft with three quality players who have a chance to be special than 7 meh picks"

That is easier said than done. More picks the better.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Uhhh... did you watch the last game? He had a 30 and 28 yard punt. You are right, he's solid at directional punting. I'd take a big leg with a little worse directional over him. Ball going into the endzone here and there isn't the end of the world. Having them start at the 20. Having them start at the 50 or on our side of the field because noodle leg has the yips is a serious issue. He's one of the worst punters in the league and I've been saying it for years. Take a punter who can't flip the field all day. Not to mention we pin them at the 1 and you know they are going to break a 20 yard run anyways. Happened last game as well.

No, I didn't watch the last game and I'm sure as hell not going to base my evaluation on a preseason game when I've seen every single punt he's ever made in a competitive setting.

Berry isn't great, but he most certainly isn't terrible. In an ideal world, you want a guy with a big leg, but there's a hell of a lot more that determines the quality of a punter. Berry's fine.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Taylor just banged up his wrist. Could be out for week 1...that looked bad. Would love to see Mayfield week 1, unless they go with Stanton. To not ruin Mayfields career by letting him start his first career game against the Steelers...or this year at all. Their line isnt ready to protect him long enough to not get abused out there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They did try to move up and draft Rashaan Evans but the price was too steep. Which would've been a mistake looking back. He's hardly practice and only made it through 3 reps before getting hurt again. Edmunds has impressed during camp, and even during the preseason he is always near the ball.

"I’d rather come out of the draft with three quality players who have a chance to be special than 7 meh picks"

That is easier said than done. More picks the better.

Since I don’t know how Evans was injured, it’s hard to say he would’ve been injured too if the Steeers had drafted him....people make that mistake all the time...injured at one camp, doesn’t mean he would be injured at another camp...but in any event, all these other teams moved up to take players and the cost wasn’t too prohibitive for them, but somehow the Steelers always say the cost was prohibitive—hard to believe other teams are charging the Steelers more....sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and go for the player...not saying Evans was worth it, but if that player is there, then go for it...Steelers should be in win-now mode and yet theyve turtled for many years in the draft....the last player they went for was Polumalu and that worked out great...I just hate the conservative draft philosophy, which NE does not employ and they’ve been pretty successful....

I like Edmunds but so far he’s reminding me of Sean Davis, who looked like he could be great as a rookie too but hasn’t really blossomed yet....who knows....I just wonder who’s going to stop the running game..if I’m ToddHaley, right now I’m planning a strong running game plan with Tyrod Taylor....Steelers won’t stop it

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We havent seen Heyward, Watt, Haden, etc out there yet. I know letting up 45 points to the Jags has alot jaded...hence the reaction from letting up 51 last week.

But Our offense spotted the Jags 14 points to start the game(two pick 6's last week too) and without Shazier thats the last thing that this young D needed. Especially with no Wildcard game to get some experience. We had a full week off and right into that game that we expected to win(counting the days until the pats game), spotting them a quick 14.

They made their mistakes and our best players didnt really step up but it was a tough situation. No margin for error going into that with Shazier out. We not only spotted 14 points but blew 2 4th and inches drives to take the lead or tie the game. Pressure was on the D all game and they finally broke for a few long plays. Spiraled out of control.

Theyre better than that. Watt also in his second year. Burns/Davis/Hargave in their 3rd. Dupree in his 4th. Alot riding on them. Watt will be fine but need at least 2 of those other 4 to make a huge impact. Our Dline is fine...stay healthy. Haden and Burnett on the same side should come up big for us in the secondary.

Im just waiting on the schemes...Butler. Alot is on him. I dont like him so far but hopefully the additions of Bradley as DB coach and our new Bama Dline coach improves the D. Better communication across the whole D. They were on 2 different pages.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Since I don’t know how Evans was injured, it’s hard to say he would’ve been injured too if the Steeers had drafted him....people make that mistake all the time...injured at one camp, doesn’t mean he would be injured at another camp...but in any event, all these other teams moved up to take players and the cost wasn’t too prohibitive for them, but somehow the Steelers always say the cost was prohibitive—hard to believe other teams are charging the Steelers more....sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and go for the player...not saying Evans was worth it, but if that player is there, then go for it...Steelers should be in win-now mode and yet theyve turtled for many years in the draft....the last player they went for was Polumalu and that worked out great...I just hate the conservative draft philosophy, which NE does not employ and they’ve been pretty successful....

I like Edmunds but so far he’s reminding me of Sean Davis, who looked like he could be great as a rookie too but hasn’t really blossomed yet....who knows....I just wonder who’s going to stop the running game..if I’m ToddHaley, right now I’m planning a strong running game plan with Tyrod Taylor....Steelers won’t stop it

Evans has been dealing with an undisclosed injury dating back to the draft process. What other teams moved up without tossing in assets? The Saints dealt two first round pick(this year and in 19') to move up, that is just dumb. Picks are valuable in today's salary cap era. Biting the bullet and go for it idea sounds good until it doesn't work, then us fans we'll be reading about how someone needs to be fired.

Trading for Troy in 03' with Kansas City only took swapping first round picks(27th overall for 13th overall)+ a 3rd rounder. Picks are valued differently now. (Also, the Pats usually trade back in the draft to collect more picks.)

I'd like to see the defense once Cam/Watt/Hilton/Haden returns.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Evans has been dealing with an undisclosed injury dating back to the draft process. What other teams moved up without tossing in assets? The Saints dealt two first round pick(this year and in 19') to move up, that is just dumb. Picks are valuable in today's salary cap era. Biting the bullet and go for it idea sounds good until it doesn't work, then us fans we'll be reading about how someone needs to be fired.

Trading for Troy in 03' with Kansas City only took swapping first round picks(27th overall for 13th overall)+ a 3rd rounder. Picks are valued differently now. (Also, the Pats usually trade back in the draft to collect more picks.)

I'd like to see the defense once Cam/Watt/Hilton/Haden returns.

Tracking every trade in the 2018 NFL draft

Here’s a list of this year’s trades...it still should have cost the Steelers a second or third to move up to 21 from 28 or wherever they were, based on the trades that occurred...Evans was taken at 22...again, I’m not saying they should have done it for him, just that there’s nothing wrong with spending that pick for a player you want when you’re a win-now team...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Trade whatever it takes for Devin Smith LSU who I mentioned earlier. Still a long ways to go before next draft but this is the type of thing we should be planning for ahead of time. Not on draft day.

1. We can add more mid round picks by making trades like the Pats do. They do that with guys they know they arent keeping anyway. And they use those extra picks to move up when needed.

2. In a draft year like we just had, both of the guys we wanted gone...it was the perfect time to trade out of the first round to get another first round pick next year(going that route instead of extra 2nd and 3rd in the current draft). Id love for them to be creative like that and have someones first next year rooting for them to lose and us landing in the top 15.

We are better than most at drafting but zero creativity. This was the obvious time to trade out of the first round. And im sure they got calls with Lamar Jackson on the board, but they stayed put.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Tracking every trade in the 2018 NFL draft

Here’s a list of this year’s trades...it still should have cost the Steelers a second or third to move up to 21 from 28 or wherever they were, based on the trades that occurred...Evans was taken at 22...again, I’m not saying they should have done it for him, just that there’s nothing wrong with spending that pick for a player you want when you’re a win-now team...

Baltimore had the #22 overall pick. No way they trade back with Pittsburgh without an overpay. They would have to trade above the Lions at #20 since the Lions were dead set on taking Frank Ragnow. Also who's to say they didn't offer a 3rd? They traded Bryant for an extra 3rd round pick for that reason. There was no fair trade to be made, they wanted Evans and couldn't find a deal.

We just hope the new defense they have yet displayed works out. I expect Morgan Burnett to play a lot of linebacker on passing downs.

Next years drafted is expect to be deep at ILB, I'm sure they'll be aggressive once again.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Didn't watch the Eagles-Browns game at all last night. Was the Browns defense that good, or the Eagles offense that bad because all their QBs are hurt?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
CBSsports guy picking Ravens to topple Steelers for division title. IMO, not really going out on a limb by calling out the Steelers' D. He also doesn't mention Harbaugh typically beats Tomlin when the former's teams haven't suffered series of cataclysmic injuries.

2018 NFL Bold Predictions: Baltimore Ravens will topple Steelers, win the AFC North

Obviously toppling the Steelers is key. I think this is the weakest team Pittsburgh trots out in a few years: Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell are great. They're the best trio in the NFL. And the Steelers have a very good offensive line. But I'm not buying they can fix the late-season issues that plagued the defense after Ryan Shazier's terrible injury. If the defense plays in 2018 like it did down the stretch, the offense will need to be perfect in order for Pittsburgh to hit 12-win territory. If Pittsburgh's floating in the 10-win area (the Steelers' win total is 10.5 with the under heavily juiced in Las Vegas), the Ravens can storm up on them.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I love our DE's. I like our CB's. I'm so-so on our S play. I hate our NT and ILB (Vince is just ok). It's no wonder we couldn't stop the run and I don't see any way that changes much this year because we didn't really address the middle of the field at all. And if we can't get top 5-7 type pressure from our LB's then we're going to give up a lot of points through the air. It's that simple.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Shazier often was the only sure tackler on the field - at least behind the D line - and had to finish a play after others frequently missed tackles. So you lose that, plus his ability to cover, plus the team that has been fielded in preseason doesn't seem to have improved its tackling, plus the team hasn't found a replacement even close to Shazier in ability - and the outlook isn't particularly good.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
First football game I've watched this pre-season, will be nice to see some of the lesser players get a go and see more of them in an advanced role. Obviously, hope the 1st plays though and does well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This D gets lucky all the time with dropped passes to guys wide open or the QB missing his target.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is still nothing going on in the first quarter on O or D despite the TD, that gives me hope the team has corrected any of its obvious issues from last season....

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ben gonna get James killed one of these games. Always throws high to him. I know hes tall..but dont have to throw 3 feet above him

Juju with a few drops. Dont like that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Connor has showed nothing unfortunately against a good TEN defense but still...he can’t break a tackle and I don’t see him being an answer next year when Bell departs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad