OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Burns pick was much like the Pouliot pick. The second the first syllable of the name came out on stage, everyone knew it would fail.

I had already forgotten about that guy.
Basically what we all thought would happen when he didn't have TJ across from him. If we can get him back here on a solid contract, that would really help the cause. If we can get Tremaine Edmunds at a doable deal, that would also really help. It would let us really concentrate our focus.

This is a really interesting draft. Khan/Weidl can sort of cement their legacy early like Colbert did. They have draft capital we haven't had in my lifetime.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just want to see Khan be aggressive in free agency and the trade market if it makes sense. You look at some of the teams that have been successful the last couple of years, and there are always a fair amount of outside additions being big contributors.

Just looking at the Eagles this year, you have Brown, Reddick, Hargrave, Bradberry, Gardner Johnson, and Slay as pretty major contributors brought in via free agency or trade. And they were also pretty aggressive moving around in the draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Burns pick was much like the Pouliot pick. The second the first syllable of the name came out on stage, everyone knew it would fail.

Basically what we all thought would happen when he didn't have TJ across from him. If we can get him back here on a solid contract, that would really help the cause. If we can get Tremaine Edmunds at a doable deal, that would also really help. It would let us really concentrate our focus.

This is a really interesting draft. Khan/Weidl can sort of cement their legacy early like Colbert did. They have draft capital we haven't had in my lifetime.

I was just a kid so I didn’t follow the draft back then, but 89 was the last time they had two first rounders (technically that’s what they have now).

Hopefully not a bad Omen, but if I remember they took Worley at 7 and Ricketts at 20 or so.

Ricketts pick came via the Merriweather trade I believe with the Vikings.

Both guys busted out and the frustrating thing is that ‘89 draft was one for a generation, but most of the HOFers went before Worley.

Guys like Trace Armstrong, Steve Atwater (HOF), Burt Grossman and Andre Rison among others I can’t recall, were still on the board after Worley.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They haven’t made a big effort to find one in the Tomlin era.

His first year I don’t know if he wanted to jump up a spot or two to grab Revis… or they couldn’t find a taker.

i know there was a lot of noise about him going to the Steelers, but who knows.

Weatherspoon would change their defense, but I’m not getting my hopes up he’s there. I think some team will blow off the sub 6 foot nonsense and recognize he’s a pro bowl talent long before the Steelers pick.

It's well known that Tomlin was super horny for Revis. Which I understand bc he was a defense guy in Minny

Things worked out ok with Timmons, who was a very productive player for the Steelers. But he obviously wasn't Revis

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's well known that Tomlin was super horny for Revis. Which I understand bc he was a defense guy in Minny

Things worked out ok with Timmons, who was a very productive player for the Steelers. But he obviously wasn't Revis
The front office actually came out and said somewhere that Revis was their pick. Everyone knew that he was their pick. That's why the Jets jumped ahead of us.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Don’t want to judge but based on history this sounds like a change of heart with regard to pressing charges kind of thing.

That comment was more on judging whether it'd do anything to his career as to anything to do with whether he did it - the warrant being rescinded does nothing to change the "wouldn't want to be sure until a jury says so but it's far more believable something happened than not". Just changes the likelihood of ever finding out for sure.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That comment was more on judging whether it'd do anything to his career as to anything to do with whether he did it - the warrant being rescinded does nothing to change the "wouldn't want to be sure until a jury says so but it's far more believable something happened than not". Just changes the likelihood of ever finding out for sure.
I meant that I didn’t want to judge - I obviously don’t have all the info - but it smelled like a “not pressing charges” thing.

A local sports radio in Columbus did a segment on I and there doesn’t seem to be a clear picture of why the warrant was rescinded.

Reactions: Peat

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The front office actually came out and said somewhere that Revis was their pick. Everyone knew that he was their pick. That's why the Jets jumped ahead of us.
Yeah, Revis was definitely their guy. Revis said in an interview once that Dick LeBeau told him he'd be the Steelers pick. Problem was he wasn't there when the Steelers picked.

An inexperienced Mike Tomlin raved about Revis when questioned about him in one of the pre-draft press conferences. Colbert eventually cut Tomlin off and said something like 'that will be the end of the evaluations' but the damage was done. Everybody knew the Steelers loved Revis and the Jets were able to jump ahead of the Steelers to take him.

It is crazy to think how good that Steelers defense could have been with Revis. They were already dominate even without an elite CB. It somehow could have been even better. The Super Bowl against the Cardinals may not have been as close. They may have even won another Super Bowl in there somewhere. Revis could have made that big a difference. Timmons was still a nice consolation prize.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m waiting for the Steelers to sign Tomlin to another extension. Pay him $15 million and his Walmart staff can share $250,000 and some Applebee’s gift cards.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, Revis was definitely their guy. Revis said in an interview once that Dick LeBeau told him he'd be the Steelers pick. Problem was he wasn't there when the Steelers picked.

An inexperienced Mike Tomlin raved about Revis when questioned about him in one of the pre-draft press conferences. Colbert eventually cut Tomlin off and said something like 'that will be the end of the evaluations' but the damage was done. Everybody knew the Steelers loved Revis and the Jets were able to jump ahead of the Steelers to take him.

It is crazy to think how good that Steelers defense could have been with Revis. They were already dominate even without an elite CB. It somehow could have been even better. The Super Bowl against the Cardinals may not have been as close. They may have even won another Super Bowl in there somewhere. Revis could have made that big a difference. Timmons was still a nice consolation prize.

Yeah - Revis paired up with Ike. Clark and Polamalu as safeties. It would absolutely rival the Ravens 2000 defense.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah - Revis paired up with Ike. Clark and Polamalu as safeties. It would absolutely rival the Ravens 2000 defense.

Hall was also in that class with Revis competing for CB1. Kind of like this draft, reports were all over the place for both. Some had Revis as the top corner, others had him in the second round.

Number of scouts doubted his foot speed since he ran a 4.5, but magically ran a 4.3 at a private workout.

So he slipped 5-6 spots.

That’s happening with Weatherspoon some, because of his size.

My biggest hope is one of the three Ts or Witherspoon makes it to 17, but that feels like wishful thinking every time I look at the mock scenarios.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Keion White is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. He's an athletic freak, and has the size and strength to play in multiple fronts, including 5-tech.

Hall was also in that class with Revis competing for CB1. Kind of like this draft, reports were all over the place for both. Some had Revis as the top corner, others had him in the second round.

Number of scouts doubted his foot speed since he ran a 4.5, but magically ran a 4.3 at a private workout.

So he slipped 5-6 spots.

That’s happening with Weatherspoon some, because of his size.

My biggest hope is one of the three Ts or Witherspoon makes it to 17, but that feels like wishful thinking every time I look at the mock scenarios.

There are really good corners in this draft. I'm really not sure the value is there to take one in the 1st when we will probably be able to get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. I'm on the LT bandwagon unless someone drops that we never would have thought would.

People want Porter, but I really don't think Porter fits in well in our defense. People want Addison, but if we are drafting Addison we may as well keep DJ.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Keion White is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. He's an athletic freak, and has the size and strength to play in multiple fronts, including 5-tech.

There are really good corners in this draft. I'm really not sure the value is there to take one in the 1st when we will probably be able to get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. I'm on the LT bandwagon unless someone drops that we never would have thought would.

People want Porter, but I really don't think Porter fits in well in our defense. People want Addison, but if we are drafting Addison we may as well keep DJ.

What, like a left tackle? :sarcasm:

Also I don't see the problem with drafting Addison and keeping Johnson for next season (and there really isn't a lot of reason to think that isn't what the Steelers want to do given how much dead money they incur if he goes). Yeah they're similar but

a) that increases match-up problems
b) Addison in the first would be a five year investment. Johnson is here for two more years before he holds his hand out for more money (and has significantly less dead money next year).

Incidentally I think we can pencil in Keeanu Benton as the Steelers' first public draft crush at this point.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I want Witherspoon because he’s a ten year plug and play shut down corner IMHO. No need to worry about Tomlin developing him.

My preference is one of the Ts, but if they got plucked, then Witherspoon and Harrison at 32, I’d be pretty damn happy.

Smith and Gonzalez I’m not sure how I’d feel about them with the first. At 32, I’d be happy though.

Addison I feel will be a much better pro than DJ. He’s sneaky explosive while DJ is just slow and shifty.

Reactions: JTG

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I want Witherspoon because he’s a ten year plug and play shut down corner IMHO. No need to worry about Tomlin developing him.

My preference is one of the Ts, but if they got plucked, then Witherspoon and Harrison at 32, I’d be pretty damn happy.

Smith and Gonzalez I’m not sure how I’d feel about them with the first. At 32, I’d be happy though.

Addison I feel will be a much better pro than DJ. He’s sneaky explosive while DJ is just slow and shifty.
Witherspoon is all over the place in the mocks/big boards.

Theres so many CBs in that range that one will certainly slip to 32.

Porter is the only guy that doesnt slip somewhere. With Gonzalez, Smith, Ringo, Witherspoon all over the place but consistantly ranked highly.

Each outlet seems to have one rando in the mix as well wheter its Forbes, Ricks, Phillips etc.

Im dead set on T just hope one falls(hopfully Skoronski . With CB at 32.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Porter is the only guy that doesnt slip somewhere. With Gonzalez, Smith, Ringo, Witherspoon all over the place but consistantly ranked highly.

Each outlet seems to have one rando in the mix as well wheter its Forbes, Ricks, Phillips etc.

Studying up on team needs in front of the Steelers is making me less and less hopeful one of the big 3 T slips.

Have to see how FA shakes things up… kind of hoping Orlando Brown Jr hits FA and gets signed by a T needy team in the top 16.

The CB depth is pretty insane in this draft, so I get why people don’t want a guy at 17, just my preference to get Witherspoon if all the T are gone.

There are multiple scenarios I would still be happy with, maybe a DL slips down to them, they trade back… who knows.

I don’t get too wrapped up in “my guy” shit.

Only was like that twice when I would have been really pissed, with Roth and then KP, but they took them both so I’ve never been in that situation to sulk like that.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Studying up on team needs in front of the Steelers is making me less and less hopeful one of the big 3 T slips.

Have to see how FA shakes things up… kind of hoping Orlando Brown Jr hits FA and gets signed by a T needy team in the top 16.

The CB depth is pretty insane in this draft, so I get why people don’t want a guy at 17, just my preference to get Witherspoon if all the T are gone.

There are multiple scenarios I would still be happy with, maybe a DL slips down to them, they trade back… who knows.

I don’t get too wrapped up in “my guy” shit.

Only was like that twice when I would have been really pissed, with Roth and then KP, but they took them both so I’ve never been in that situation to sulk like that.
Yeah, i have no problem with CB if the Ts are gone. Im not following the other teams enough to contemplate who falls is all 3 Ts go early.

Darnell Wright seems to be a possibility at 32 as well if we go somewhere else at 17.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, i have no problem with CB if the Ts are gone. Im not following the other teams enough to contemplate who falls is all 3 Ts go early.

Darnell Wright seems to be a possibility at 32 as well if we go somewhere else at 17.

Not going to include the top five teams as I can’t see a T in this class going that high. But teams that worry me in the 7-16 range who could take a T:

Raiders, Titans, Jets, Pats.

Maybe Raiders have a QB slip to them, who knows.

That’s still 3 teams I’m extremely worried about taking a T. Steelers really need to jump into the 12th spot or higher ahead of Jets and NE if they truly want to guarantee they get one of the big three T.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My under the radar guy right now is Joe Tippmann-C-Wisconsin. His physical skills aren't like anything I think I've seen from a center. He has crazy length, he's huge, and his athleticism is off the charts. He's be a really fun situational pulling guard.

I would love if we could move back 5-7 picks in this draft and pick up another 3rd rounder. It would help the cause and we wouldn't really lose out on anyone we would be into, I don't think.

What, like a left tackle? :sarcasm:

Also I don't see the problem with drafting Addison and keeping Johnson for next season (and there really isn't a lot of reason to think that isn't what the Steelers want to do given how much dead money they incur if he goes). Yeah they're similar but

a) that increases match-up problems
b) Addison in the first would be a five year investment. Johnson is here for two more years before he holds his hand out for more money (and has significantly less dead money next year).

Incidentally I think we can pencil in Keeanu Benton as the Steelers' first public draft crush at this point.

Yeah, I think Benton is happening. But again, I think we are way too public with who we like.

Witherspoon is an outstanding prospect and I wouldn't be against them taking him at 17. The only issue with that is the value isn't there at 17 for a CB in this draft because it's so deep, but that's really a moot point if the guy is a stud and could be a #1 for 10 years.

I really am starting to believe that Porter doesn't slip because the media are manifesting this whole thing to happen. It's so easy to target him to Pittsburgh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Witherspoon is an outstanding prospect and I wouldn't be against them taking him at 17. The only issue with that is the value isn't there at 17 for a CB in this draft because it's so deep, but that's really a moot point if the guy is a stud and could be a #1 for 10 years.

I really am starting to believe that Porter doesn't slip because the media are manifesting this whole thing to happen. It's so easy to target him to Pittsburgh.

To me the value is there if he's the bolded. That's a guy who should be top 10 at 17. I know CB is deep this draft, but I don't think it's so deep those guys go to 32. I think there's two tiers of guys, those who could be #1 for a long time and those who probably can't. The former at 17 is value, the latter isn't.

And since I think Joey Porter is the latter, I very much hope he goes early.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
To me the value is there if he's the bolded. That's a guy who should be top 10 at 17. I know CB is deep this draft, but I don't think it's so deep those guys go to 32. I think there's two tiers of guys, those who could be #1 for a long time and those who probably can't. The former at 17 is value, the latter isn't.

And since I think Joey Porter is the latter, I very much hope he goes early.
Porter to me does not fit this defense. He's a man-to-man press corner.

I REALLY like some of the defensive line prospects in this draft. I hope we can come away with atleast 1 but ideally 2. I really like Mazi Smith. I think he could be a NT/DE. He's athletic enough at 330+ to play a 5 technique. I think Benton is the exact type of defensive lineman Tomlin wants here. Keion White is a freak 5 technique. I think it would be so much fun watching him because he's almost a more athletic Tuitt. I'm souring on Saiki Ika. His weight is sort of out of control from things I've read and he's not as stout against the run as he should be.

Last edited:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Porter to me does not fit this defense. He's a man-to-man press corner.

I REALLY like some of the defensive line prospects in this draft. I hope we can come away with atleast 1 but ideally 2. I really like Mazi Smith. I think he could be a NT/DE. He's athletic enough at 330+ to play a 5 technique. I think Benton is the exact type of defensive lineman Tomlin wants here. Keion White is a freak 5 technique. I think it would be so much fun watching him because he's almost a more athletic Tuitt. I'm souring on Saiki Ika. His weight is sort of out of control from things I've read and he's not as stout against the run as he should be.

I think Porter could fit the direction this defense wants to go under Austin. I saw a stat the other day that the defense played man coverage at one of the highest rates in the league so I think their philosophy is shifting a bit.

It kind of tracks with them going out and getting William Jackson, who was a strict man coverage corner that is notoriously bad at zone.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Porter could fit the direction this defense wants to go under Austin. I saw a stat the other day that the defense played man coverage at one of the highest rates in the league so I think their philosophy is shifting a bit.

It kind of tracks with them going out and getting William Jackson, who was a strict man coverage corner that is notoriously bad at zone.
But Jackson wasn't good. I just think in terms of our secondary there is a mix of the players that the coaching staff wants v. the game plan being played not matching up and that's why we just cannot develop corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad