OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
New season has officially started, so lets start a new thread, cause reasons. Please remember to talk about football in this thread and not rehash the poor life choices of ex Steelers players please and thanks.

giphy.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The same thing happened to the Steelers in the 2000's with the Pats. Those teams were incredible. New England was just on a historical trajectory.

No. LeBeau flat out refused to accept that Brady and Belichick had figured out his zone coverage system, so they continued to trot out the same defense that would get dink and dunked to death. We got scorched by the likes of Troy Brown and Bethel Johnson

It wasnt “figured out” every defense is figured out within a year of implementation on a macro level.

There is 2 reasons the Patriots were so dominant.

1. They literally knew what play was coming.
2. They had the best QB of all time.

Tbh, I thought that list was good.

I think the large delta between Lawrence and Lance doesn’t make a ton of sense- they both looked bad last year but flashed some good and have ridiculous physical traits. 11 spots felt high.

Geno Smith where he was is clearly the hot take. I’d have put Trubisky 30, Smith, 31, Brissett 32.

Not sure why Mariota got such higher marks than Mitch either. They feel extremely comparable.

But overall I liked the quantifiable grading scale and I like that it’ll get weekly updates.

If MT doesn’t end up ranked higher than Geno Smith by the end of the year, this will be a miserable season.

Yes, it was “figured out”. Belichick found the weakness in the coverage and exploited it. Brady wasn’t the greatest of all time in his second season or third or fourth. It really wasn’t until Cowher was on his way out that Brady was considered to be 1b with Manning, around the time he got Welker and Moss

Oh I never even read the list, although I am now. Definitely a fun read. And as said, I was never arguing with it. Even if I think Trubisky is 30th rather than 32nd... that doesn't really matter.

Tbh I kinda feel like everyone from Cousins down kind of fits what I said. Not that I think they're interchangeable but I think they're roughly at a talent level where I'd take Trubisky on a great team over Cousins on a weak team. I'd also add - and should have been in my original post - that 90% surroundings leaves 10% personal, and I'm mostly thinking of decision making and skill at big pressure moments, and everything I've read says Trubisky is not good there. Although the way he handled the TD drive at the end of the first half in the last pre-season game was good.

24 is still young. Besides, the way this Oline is horrifically bad, you don't want him in there.

100% spot on!

No, thats not how it works.

Yes, Lebeaus defense was figured out. But that was before Brady was even in college. The difference was the two factors listed above.

1. Knowing before hand the exact play. Which completely neuters the main scheme advantage of zone blitzing.

2. The best QB of all time whos best attributes are processing and accuracy. The two qualities you would give a QB going up against that scheme.

Its not that complicated. It wasnt some crazy puzzle offense couldnt figure out. Its a system built to put pressure on the QB both physically but more important mentally. To beat it you have to figure which guys are coming and which are dropping quickly and by the time most QBs can do that the physical pressure is there and its too late.

Brady is great at processing the play and getting the ball in and out of his hands.

It also help when you know the play call, eliminating the mental pressure portion.

Cheating and also having the best QB ever isnt some kind of knock on the defensive scheme.

You are overestimating the extent of the cheating. Bill and Brady did not know what exact play was coming for 15 years.

And yes, that is how it works. LeBeau’s system was notorious for befuddling everyone in the league. No one knew when or from where from the blitzes were coming and the zone coverage was deceptive. It was the Patriots who exploited the short game against it. Obviously having an accurate QB like Brady made the execution, but it was primarily the offensive scheme dominating the defensive. Still, acting as if Brady was a GOAT early in his career is contrary to reality. He was not. He was very good but the HOF numbers didn’t start until 2007ish.

They played 10 times from 2001 to when Lebeau retired (01-04) lebeau wasnt there.

In the 7 losses. 4 where in the spygate era through 07.

The other set of games their record was 3-2 against us. With btw the best QB of all time.

Wasn't one of them with Matt Cassel? Just keeping ya honest.

Actually your right it was.

But i think that highlights my point that the defense wasnt “figured out” by the patriots.

They either were cheating, had the best QB ever or both in the games they won.

We were such an easy matchup for the Pats. Our secondary was terrible for basically an entire decade. Brady could pick apart zone and we didn't have the talent for man coverage.

Our defense for the entire 2010s was bad and we invested everything in Ben and the offense.

If I remember correctly, Cassel was playing really well though.

Atkinson ( dr death) might be worse.
He’s the one who clotheslined swan far away from the ball.

He’s still talks out of his azz on those nfl network football history shows

I have to say, Rudolph has been a true pro through this whole situation. I hope they can find a deal that makes sense to give him a shot somewhere else. In my opinion, he has earned the right to be kind of a prick.

I remember a little about him from watching those old NFL FIlms shows as a kid.

Didn’t the Steelers spray the field one time before a big game agt the Raiders to make it icy and slow down their passing game?

Yeah and Madden was really pissed off.

You can’t prove that!

I think they left the field uncovered as a storm hit the night/morning before the game.

Screw the raiders though. I recently watched the sea of hands game they had vs. the dolphins in ‘74.
For all the crying they did about the immaculate reception. Branch clearly trapped the ball, got up and ran for a TD

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
I think Zac Taylor continues to mop the floor with Tomlin and wins his 4th straight over him, unfortunately. 24-14

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
TotesTorts said:
No. LeBeau flat out refused to accept that Brady and Belichick had figured out his zone coverage system, so they continued to trot out the same defense that would get dink and dunked to death. We got scorched by the likes of Troy Brown and Bethel Johnson

There's some context here. Remember the season opener 2002 where the Raiders really showed the world how to beat the 3-4/Steelers. The Pats refined that approach.

Or better yet, became versatile in other facets that they were virtually unstoppable on offense. Part of that was having the answers to the test by their cheating.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Starring: Mason Rudolph as Moe Howard. Mitch Trubisky as Curly Howard. Kenny Pickett as Larry Fine.

The hair styles definitely resemble this year's group.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Might need 3 in one game at some point with that line. Who is the emergency QB?

The NFL has a wonky rule. MR as the 3 QB will have pads on and everything, but not count vs roster limit on gamedays.

If the #3 enters the game, he must not come out and has to finish the game.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
No idea what to expect from this team, will be fun!
I feel our defense will be legit, but they’ll get gassed by the 3rd and 4th quarters most games because our offense won’t be able to sustain drives. This team will go as far as the oline can take them.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad